• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: File name and extension highlight when saving on macOS 10.15 Catalina

LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. After last updates (Osx Catalina and CC 2020), when the save window appear, the focus, highlite, is on all the file name and extension instead only the filename. I suspect the issue is related to Catalina, but I ask if anyone has noticed the same thing. My working speed is affected and I would like to know if anyone has a solution to ensure that only the file name is highlighted (in save and export).
Thank you
Michele

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 161 Replies 161
161 Comments
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm this bug persists in version 22.1.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't type the extension, inDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop will add the extension automatically. ONLY in the "save for web" dialog you have to type it manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but in my job "save for web" is used 50 times for every "save as".

Thank you anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too Michele, that's why I think Adobe should fix this problem. My message was just to highlight that the Adobe uses a workaround adding the extension after saving in other "save as" popups, but it doesn't works in "save as web". (and still not fixed in Big Sur)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting this Michele.

What a complete nuisance this is, I have the same issue with both Save As and Save For Web and it's a total time-waster. I've now noticed clients using Photoshop are sending me files without file extensions which macOS can't open so I have to add the extensions manually!

The issue still isn't fixed after updating to PS 2021.

The worst part: All this grief we're experiencing is probably down to a few lines of code. You'd think the people at Adobe who design and build Photoshop, never use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! I feel the same. It is a great nuisance and it's been going on for many months now... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved for « Save As », today in Photoshop 22.3.0 !

Mac Catalina...

<);o)

Thanks !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm this for Catalina.

It's still NOT working for Big Sur. 'Save as' still selects filename and extension 😞

What the heck is so complicated here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So close Adobe!

I can confirm from @olivier_mullie_7495271  that after the current update the "save/ save as" selection is only on the name. leaving the extension unhighlighted.

unfortunately "saving to web" is still highlighting the whole name including the extension.

We were so close Adobe! it shouldnt be that hard to now do the same thing for the save to web. we all kinda use that as well as the normal save. maybe even more

system used: catalina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is engaging in a sadistic form of tantric debugging... keeping us at bay for an interminable period of time before releasing us from frustration.

It took them 5 years into the widespread availability of retina displays to finally retool vector paths in Photoshop to not get lost as gray hairline slivers with impossible-to-grab control handles.

I fully expect them to have this solved for Big Sur... when the next MacOS is well into its 3rd update.

(Yes, I'm aware I've contributed nothing substantial with this post beyond snarky frustration). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@olivier_mullie_7495271 only with Catalina. No change with Big Sure

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIX THIS PLEASE!! This is making your users less productive and REALLY annoyed, I've used adobe products for 25 years now and I feel like you are trying too hard to change things that work. Why would you implement something like this that makes no sense and then NOT fix this for over a year now? This should not be a difficult fix, stop changing things that work well...this is not the first time you've done things like this. Sorry for the rant but we've invested so much time in learning your products and you are making things more difficult!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, not fixed in Catalina, either. I'm on macOS 10.15.7 and just updated to Photoshop 22.3.0. What I'm seeing is that about 1/2 of the time the filename (and just the filename, not the extension, so that's the good news) is highlighted and behaves as I would expect, and about 1/2 of the time nothing is highlighted and I can't modify with filename from the keyboard (can't tab to it, for instance; need to click in the box with the mouse).

There does not appear to be any pattern to when the filename is highlighted and when not. If I open and cancel the "Save As" dialog repeatedly, while doing and changing absolutely nothing else, it'll sometimes have the filename highlighted, sometimes not.

Also, it used to be possible to tab to the "Save" or "Cancel" buttons, so the whole "Save As" process could be done from the keyboard without the mouse. That ceased to be the case a while ago, but it was very helpful and sped things up. Now, I open the "Save As" dialog box with the keyboard, check to see if the filename is highlighted, modify the filename from the keyboard if it is, if not, switch to the mouse to tap the filename, back to the keyboard to change the filename, finally back to the mouse to tap the "Save" button. This is a pointlessly user-unfriendly process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but despite some reports here, PS 22.3.0 still has the entire file name and suffix highlighted in Save For Web. This is not fixed. Plus I'm having more hanging issues with this version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so annoyed at my self that I updated to Big Sur and thus PS 22.3, my workflow is extremely slow now, as well as Photoshop is extremely slow at anything you ask it to do in regards to saving files, the dialog box openings are literally 2 seconds after the command, this is madness, this is Sparta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

22.3.1 today and this problem is still here. Please solve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is FINALLY resolved for me with Photoshop 22.3.1 running on Big Sur 11.2.3. Adobe's ambivalence lasted a year and a half, so I'll spare them my "thanks" and continue riding them for the dozen other issues that remain.

Spoke too soon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe that the Photoshop team don't see this... Unbelievable...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@david_mikal_johnson 

Darn, I was so happy to see your post. I tried it too but didn't see a difference. Thanks for updating your post.

I wish there were a way to speak with Photoshop directly. This has been a costly slowdown in the workflow. For those of us to do this for a living, meaning a lot of keyboard and mouse time, more clicks mean more physical toll on the hands, wrist, elbow, etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I called Adobe support about this a year ago and was told they were aware of the issue and it would be resolved in a future update... which wasn't entirely a lie for those that still use MacOS Catalina or previous.

The frustration for me is that after updating to 22.3.1, I worked for 4 hours yesterday without encountering this issue, came here to post my success and went back to work only to encounter the issue every. single. time.

Is this abuse?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix this issue asap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While some of the saving issues that sprung up with Catalina have been fixed, this one still has not. I've noticed that a few other Adobe apps have adopted the highlighting of the name and extension but in all my testing, if you leave type your new file name, the file type selected in the dropdown will be automatically added if you remove it in the text field while renaming and that is just peachy and works fine. What doesnt' work fine is that in Photoshop still, when doing "Save for Web" the file extension will not be added and as far as I can tell this is the only Adobe instance where that is the case. And of course, saving for web WILL need an extension to make the file worth a darn. Appreciate that some other fixes have been addressed and hopefully this one can get crossed off soon as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@clif_CROP Go to Help > System Info...

Are you running Photoshop 22.5.0? This should work correctly in Save for Web or Save As or Save a Copy in version 22.5 where the extension is highlighted and you change the name to not have an extension, it will have the correct extension appended when you save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @J453 ! I've been on 22.4.3 but updated to 22.5 (not because I doubted you) and can confirm this too is fixed. So that is THREE Save bugs that I've updated on the comm. site today as being fixed! Nice way to end a week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Jeffrey Tranberry I'm on version Version Adobe Photoshop : 22.5.0 20210809.r.384 ce617de x64

but I still have the extension highlighted when I save for the web. 

How can I fix this please ?

Many thanks

Best

Votes

Translate

Translate