• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Files open with wrong window size on non-Retina screens attached to Retina Macs

Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on my external (non-Retina) monitor, with my Retina MacBook as a secondary screen next to it. Not uncommon, I believe.

When I open a document Photoshop displays it at Retina-size (i.e 50%) for a split-second before zooming in to 100%. It keeps the window size at 50% though. Since this can get a little annoying Photoshop should adjust the window size to show the full document instead.

(This happens with "Zoom Resizes Window" turned On and Off, as far as I can tell.)

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 04, 2015 Aug 04, 2015
OK. It sounds like we're talking about two different things. This issue reported by the original poster where the window is smaller and has scroll bars when it should be expanded and show the entire image has been fixed.

The behavior described in later comments is covered by this topic: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate
58 Comments
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2015 Aug 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is UNBELIEVABLE you guys are suffering from this issue for almost a year now and there is no solution. I wasn't aware it exists until I got My new MacBook Pro today and installed PS, just to discover I cannot work anymore. I was shocked to read online people are trying to avoid the issue by zooming in and guessing how their design is going to look not pixelated or super soft. What's going on here?? it's not a minor glitch, this makes the the software unusable!

I'm a graphic designer, my livelihood depends on using PS properly, I can't afford guessing while waiting for a fix. I think we should all ask for retroactive refunds until Adobe takes us seriously.

Jeffery, any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. It sounds like we're talking about two different things. This issue reported by the original poster where the window is smaller and has scroll bars when it should be expanded and show the entire image has been fixed.

The behavior described in later comments is covered by this topic: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeffery. Reading the other post it looks like Adobe don't have a solution and expect us to work double the size in order to scale down and keep the design sharp. This is not going to work as we all share files and work with people with no retina screen. For example, I'm working in the office on a normal screen and continue working at home with the retina screen. Not to mention old files that were created in a certain resolution already. What do you expect me to do?

You can't drop the issue on your costumers, asking them to find their own solutions when obviously the software has a bug and this issue wasn't really thought of. Adobe is a monopoly, but people are complaining for a year now, it all sounds unfair to me. Please advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, am a designer, for a living. I just spent hours making 3 standard banners I cannot get to look right due to the size/resolution issue. I am going to have to go back to my 17" MBP with the old software. Jeffrey, I appreciate that you are actually reading these issues, but this is unacceptable. If I am understanding your response in the link you shared above, I now have to add math to my arsenal of skills and proactively double everything in size, hoping that the assets I have are sized appropriately, and then somehow save two sizes from now on? Does this make sense to anyone else? Isn't the point of upgraded software that it is smart enough to handle this for me? I am not a mathematician, and this can get complicated quickly. Seriously, at this point, I just want my 728x90 banner to be 728x90 no matter who is viewing it. There has got to be a better way. How are we supposed to just "figure this workflow out"? Is there some sort of detailed training or tutorial to make this make sense? Jeffrey, I am seriously disappointed right now, but I am hopeful you will be able to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wasted my day designing completely unusable assets for a client with a crazy deadline. Scaling up will totally pixelate my banners. What can I do to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2016 Jan 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is horrible and Adobe don ́t have a solution!
And the workaround zoom to 200% is bad: pictures und fonts are very pixelated!
Adobe do nothing! - that ́s so embarrassing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this issue as well. I've followed the advice above, to change the Photoshop setting before opening the program.. But now the user interface isn't crisp and my file still appears blurry when opened in a browser.. The same issue is happening with Illustrator and the "save for web" feature.. ADOBE PLEASE HELP! I've just begun working for a new client who must think she's hired an incompetent fool. I can't afford to lose this work 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Er, that doesn't have anything to do with this topic. This topic is about windows opening at the wrong size when you have multiple displays and some are retina (high DPI) and some are not.

What you are describing sounds like you have issues with how to design for retina (high dpi) displays. I think you want this topic: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate