Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Free Transform/Distort tool inconsistency

Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

using the tool Free Transform (Ctrl+T) in the new version of Photoshop CC 2019 (release 20.0.0) on a Windows 10 64 bit PC, I'm not able anymore to move the handle of a selected area (using the Ctrl button) in a free mode, now I can move it along the vertical or horizontal ax only.

RackMultipart2018102644527wi8v-4f1a52ef-890b-45ba-b78e-1d19f8d8f3e5-1154045790.jpgRackMultipart2018102644527wi8v-4f1a52ef-890b-45ba-b78e-1d19f8d8f3e5-1154045790.jpg

Which setting I have to change in order to have the same behavior of the tool as in Photoshop CC 2018 (release 19)?

RackMultipart201810261085161h2-04ada816-1753-4a1f-8e85-557b9ce05a9c-364456018.jpgRackMultipart201810261085161h2-04ada816-1753-4a1f-8e85-557b9ce05a9c-364456018.jpg

Many thanks!!!

Luciano

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 128 Replies 128
128 Comments
Enthusiast ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new uniform scale by default is nice, but its very hard to get used to when the program is full of inconsistency. Like transform bitmap is uniform, transform shape you need to hold ctrl+shift for it to scale the same way. Same goes for text, which is uniform, but smart objects are not....why?!? So currently it only makes things a lot more confusing than it being a change for the better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this would be a solution?
  1. Cmd/Ctrl + T
  2. Drag from any side to scale proportionally (that’s it)
  3. No modifier keys required. Just re-size.
  4. To Commit Changes: press checkmark, press return, or click anywhere outside of bounding box
  5. The Big Change in Free Transform is that you no longer need to use the Shift Key. You just drag. Using the Shift key will distort the image now.
From: https://medium.com/@mikemurphyco/259-free-transform-photoshop-cc-2019-a309445af581

Hope it helped?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The smart objects one is a bug caused by a corrupted prefs files. Everything but vectors are supposed to constrain, but either during the install or Ps being put in the background while transform is active, causes the corruption. You can fix temporarily by doing a pref reset, but it'll eventually happen again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too think is a terrible idea to have to hold shift to 'free transform' what's the point? is it a free transform tool or not?
15 years of PS use and having to change habits is confusing, lost productivity time would say

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess they had to do survey to predict how many of us will be loyal to their product after making some unfriendly changes. I suppose they won't lose many users while can by happy of deal they could do with Apple who might have give them enough money to develop Photoshop this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is we have no options, honestly who would ever change using PS for his work?  
it's just that Adobe before implementing changes to tools should take into account that takes years to know PS well and make full use of shortcuts and features.

So yes new features are welcome, improved performances of tools yes welcome too,  but changes of behaviour of tools not as much...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New users won't see any difference. They mainly focus on learning Photoshop that takes 1 - 2 years before realise something could be better. But when they're finaly familiar with Photoshop they will find to be upset like we are if Adobe will keep making another changes instead of imprevements! 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No new user can get comfy with this change as long as its different on all types of layers. That is the annoying change that makes this new "feature" (or whatever Adobe likes to call flipping keyboard shortcuts around) so frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True.

But still don't see the point of having to hold shift when using a 'free' resize tool, not so free really!! 
Plus if you do more than one step and forget to hold shift again it mess up with the positioning you did, really annoying

bugs me off as much as the new "undo" thingy as I use them both a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, well, at least you have the old way of scaling for Smart objects and Shapes 😉 

I dont understand why they changed any of these. Before it was consistent. ANd multiple undos was there as well, I guess anyone who wanted could put it on ctrl+z in shortcut prefereneces before as well.... These are not features, just stupidity changes imo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly, consistency is key for anyone working with PS, as if crazy tight deadlines and unrealistic expectations from clients were not enough, we also  have to deal
 with working out new shortcuts, behaviours and updates not so smooth often

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that is true what I heard they want it to adjust to iPad and one weekend users, that are main target now. Regarding iPad version of Ps I have no idea how many of regular Photoshop is in its Photoshop, but they are limited to not having some workstation keys, so that is the reason we suffer now from changes favouring other devices users. Moreover, if their version of Ps got basic stuff to do rapid 'phone' corrections that explains why layers transformation was only one they changed, but not for vectors, paths, texts or smart objects and different objects inside one group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Makes sense, but wouldn't be best too keep version for different platform separated? mobile more geared to occasional user and workstation for pro use? we spent hundreds or thousands $$ over the years after all

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are tousends of dollars by million of them supplied by other involved corporation to sell their products? What about future where old computers we use now are dinosaurs by those kids sit by from early years and can do more though beeing limited? They want to survive they must be step forward before new times will come with no doubt.

I forgot to meantion transformation of shapes that joachim barrum pointed was kept by old way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No negativity here, PS improved million times since 2005 when I started using it, and good if they take it to the masses on mobile platforms and make billion so it improves even more in the future, my point is about disruption to workflow of pro user that should be minimised or avoided

After all WE made PS so popular as it it is today, everyone on the planet knows photoshop because we pro photographer and retoucher were using it daily to work  on magazines and
clients images

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loll you're good - 8 posts / 8 likes 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol way to go before your 543 Posts:) Kudos

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm even better - saw like you secretly changed avatar twice during few minutes! Edit: 3 times now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha couldn't work it out as there was a lag! Another bug?
 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would hope that Adobe would understand that it's best to keep PS versions for Desktop and iPad suited to each device?
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sensible approach and I would certainly hope so too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also gone back to PS2018. I don't think this behaviour from Adobe should be accepted. It's just very poor decisdion making

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - they still would earn money keeping distinct versions (just other way configured user settings that costs nothing) but when we see there's no any logic in their doings there's most possibly some uprising theory comes true. What could made them to follow this way? When you read what people say we all can agree that's nonsense. Woud so huge company be so unresonable to not simply say so stupid? In my opinion they know what they do, otherwise they would have passed long time ago. There had to be some unofficial agreement between magnates where one had no interest desktop users were stopping inculcation of their well-thought world market domination plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you imagine the amount of changes to the software if they actively try to force iPad user workflow into a desktop app?

What's next, we need to use 2 mouses or pens to replicate 2 finger gestures?

Also - it's not happening anytime soon. Large companies are not overhauling their investment in desktop PCs/Macs retraining entire employee base, restructuring IT depts, changing email systems, networks, etc. At my work, we are still on Win 7 for a reason. It's too much of an overhaul for too many complex systems, and not worth the cost.

This would not be the time to meld iPad features and workflow into desktop Photoshop. It would be way better for them to develop them seperately and refine each program specifically for it's user base.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are lucky Windows 7 is still supported for 32 bits Ps, but as you may read many others not:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/upcoming-changes-to-digital-imaging-os-suppor...

Votes

Translate

Translate