• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Gradient Fill and Artboards

Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When creating an artboard with a gradient fill, adjust as needed, then export via export artboards to files, what exports doesn't match what is shown in PS.

This is in PS:

In-PS.png

These are the settings:

Settings.png

This is what it looks like when exporting:

Export-PS.jpg

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Hi all,

Thank you for the feedback. I have forwarded your feedback to our engineering team and they’re looking into it.

Changing the status back to "Investigation"

Thanks,

Mohit 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
45 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing this. What file type are you saving to? What is the color space of your original and of the new saved file? What are you viewing the new file in - Photoshop or some browser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving as RGB 8bit Jpeg to same settings, no color space changes. Viewing in PS or any other Mac image viewer.

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 3.21.35 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you like an example PSD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, I'm not having any issues with your settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi where are you viewing the exported jpeg for your second screenshot ?

Is it back in Photoshop , a color managed browser (such as Firefox with color management turned on)  or a non-color managed application (most browsers & viewers)?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have opened it in PS and Mac Image Viewer and it's all the same issue. I tried it with a new gradient and it did the same thing.

Example file: Dropbox - Untitled-1.psd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Example file: Dropbox - Untitled-1.psd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I'm seeing it now. Your example was very pronounced. I didn't realize that you were using an adjustment layer for the gradient. I made the gradient on a normal layer. It looks like a bug. What seems to be happening is in the process of exporting, the gradient is readjusting itself to the cropped version of the image. So instead of the the gradient extending beyond the artboard to the edges of the full document, the gradient is adjusted to the edges of the artboard, thus making the transitions sharper. Only thing I can say is to duplicate and rasterize any gradient adjustment layers before you export the artborads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks for the dropbox file.

This was acknowledged as a bug in this thread in  2016 , but still exists : Re: Art boards and gradients issue

As Chuck said - the gradient layer extends the gradient to the whole document. This also means that when you move an artboard - the part of the gradient content that is visible changes

A workaround is, before adding the gradient, add an ordinary layer in the artboard and fill it with pixels (color does not matter I used white) . Make that layer into a smart object and then add the gradient fill above that layer  inside the smart object. The gradient will now be bound by the SO size and will not change as you move the artboard or export it.

So the smart object contains this:

Moving the artboard looks like this:

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this is what I ended up doing yesterday / today. Using it as a smart object was the best course of action for me. Allowed me to make adjustments as needed with a little bit of an annoyance. I hope this gets fixed, it's annoying to do this work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it's 1/31/18 and this is STILL an issue. I've been waiting for Adobe to fix this obvious flaw in their flagship product for over a year now. C'mon Adobe, get it together. I actually bought and downloaded Affinity Designer. It's been great so far, but in a pinch I still know Photoshop better, so I came online seeking a solution to this gradient problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, In the last few months, I've been having trouble exporting artboards with gradient. I found that when I change the shape to a smart object, it exports me fine. But it's annoying and sometimes I forget about it. Otherwise, it does weird things. It used to work nicely for me even though I had 30 or more artboards.

Does anyone have a solution?

Snímka obrazovky 2021-12-14 o 10.42.01.pngSnímka obrazovky 2021-12-14 o 10.31.42.pngSnímka obrazovky 2021-12-14 o 10.43.16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will convert this thread to a bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@niki_zifcak can you provide a link to your example PSD that you're using in your video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @J453, here is the link with PSD.
Those export images are from my iMac. Now I've tried to open it over the Creative Cloud on a MacBook and it's a lot better there, but still not without problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @PECourtejoie , @J453 , if there is a jira ticket, please assign to clrodrig. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PECourtejoie I'll be creating a ticket for this issue. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has been reproduced with the file provided. Ps engineers are looking into it. 

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi guys, i have also stumbled on this bug this morning...

it appears if i use a gradient on a shape layer and a layer style gradient on a pixel layer, the 'export artboards to files' process seems to export the incorrect gradient but if i convert the shape layer or pixel layer to a smart object it exports ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

btw if i select the artboard and do "quick export as png" it also saves the gradient fine without prior converting to a smart object

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2022 23.2.2

Mac OS Monterey 12.2.1

This only started happening after updating to 2022. For example, I have 4 artboards with the same square with gradient like below.

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 7.50.47 PM.png

When i choose "export > artboards to files" and expot PNGs of each artboard, the gradient shifts on each one when it should all be the same. see output files below with the shifted gradient.

testArtboard-1.pngtestArtboard-2.pngtestArtboard-3.pngtestleft.png

This never happend to me before until the update so im assuming is a bug, but a very specific bug which can go unnoticed. I use this feature a lot instead of the "export as" because it allows me to customize my settings a bit better. Please adobe team help resolve this issue :), thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Five years no fix? This is a joke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @roboroaster , I apologize this is causing inconveniences. The issue has been fixed in June release. Please make sure to updare once this new release is out to the public. In the meantime, the option Export As is exporting the png with the correct gradient fill angles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did it really take FIVE YEARS to fix this bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Earth Oliver it took a bit more than 5 month, once the thread was properly labeled as a bug report, and not lost in a sea of other discussions.

Votes

Translate

Translate