• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Gradient Map Adjustment Layer PS 23 is not backward compatible even in Classic Method

Participant ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try again with a new post since the previous one has not been understood.

Using in Photoshop 23.0 the "Gradient Map" adjustment layer even with the "Classic" Method is not backward compatible. Does not work as expected.

I need to specify, since the previous post received a wrong reply regarding the "Gradient Fill", that I'm talking about the "Gradient Map" (not the Gradient Fill!) adjustment layer correctly setted with "Classic" method.

Even with classic method the Gradient Map will be not read in the previous version of Photoshop.

The only way to make it readable in previous versions is convert the image layer in a smart layer and apply the Gradient Map as a smart filter (from menu "image" -> adjustments -> gradient map), always in Classic Method. In this way the gradient map will be read even in the previous version.

So, please, there is a bug with the Gradient Map adjustment layer in Classic method since should be backward compatible.

Please, make a test and kindly reply.

Thank you.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Finally with the new Photoshop release 23.1.0 the bug has been fixed and the gradient map adjustment layer set in classic method is correctly recognized in previous versions. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate
34 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I join you in your question. This problem ruins my workflow completely....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a reminder to this eavy bug since today Adobe released a first update with v. 23.0.1 but, even is reported some kind of fix to gradient map, is not unfortunatelly the case of this bug. Please, I hope that someone is working on it, it's really a pain!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Da7 This works for me. A classic gradient layer created in 23.0.1 opens in the prior version without error and looks the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not in my Photoshop and, as said by other users, I'm not the only one. I leave you two screenshots just in case may help. My App versions are in italian.01 PS 23.0.jpg

02 PS 22.5.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this one you can see that the gradient map is in classic method

01 PS 23.0.1 (2).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post the PSD you've created in 23.0.1 so I can debug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out. I see what the problem is. The fix only applied to Gradient Fill layers, not Gradient Maps. I'll have Engineering take care or this.

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey I don't know how to post a psd file here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, thanks for working on the issue.

At the time of posting this, 23.0.1 still causes the Gradient Map Adjustment Layer problem for me.

Layer style gradients and Gradient Fill Layers appear to be properly backwards compatible, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5E43_0-1637601014507.png

gradient maps created in Photoshop 2022 are transformed into rasterized layers. How to fix it?
This problem prevents working with people on older versions of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally, with any software, you can always work with old files in a new version - but not necessarily the other way round!

I'm sure that when you think about it, you understand that this is the whole point of software development: adding and improving functions that didn't exist in the old versions.

This sounds like it might be a GPU driven function, and all GPU functions are now extensively rewritten from OpenGL (no longer OS-supported) to DirectX/Metal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but other software allows you to export to earlier versions. Also, previous versions of Photoshop didn't have this conflict with even older versions.
Even Illustrator has the ability to export files for Illustrator older versions.
I was hoping that using classic (in the gradient setting) gradients would help, but it makes no difference.
Has Adobe really not made provision for working in Photoshop 2022 and earlier Photoshop versions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but if this is GPU resident, it's a somewhat special case. All the GPU code, every last bit of it, is being migrated from the old OpenGL framework which is no longer supported by Microsoft and Apple, and completely rewritten for the OS-native DirectX and Metal frameworks.

In other applications where you can export to previous versions, like e.g. InDesign export to idml - the same principle applies: The main thing is to be able to open the file (which you can!), but several elements may be missing or different. That's always implicit.

Photoshop's standard fallback for backwards compatibility is to open a flattened composite image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's sad
thanks for your reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, does this gradient maps use the new algorithms? if you select the classic option, does it do the same conversion? (I see that the issue is there also with classic, Merging to the main thread on the topic)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today Photoshop has been updated to v. 23.0.2 and the bug is still there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are talking about an adjustment layer (gradient map) setted with the old "Classic" method! This adjustment layer must be supported by the the old versions since should be the same adjustment layer... We are not talking about the new methods! This is a bug and must be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm opening a older version PSD in my 23.0.1 photoshop and making some modifications (no new adjustments layers) and saving. Then trying to open on a 22.5.1 photoshop version and getting de "unknown data" message. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 09.19.30.png

Again in the 23.0.1 photoshop I merged the layer with gradient map color adjustment and saved. Opened again in the 22.5.1 photoshop whithout any warning message.

Anyone have the same issue?

I've tried to instal the 23.0.2 to see if this problem wold be solved, but wont even open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Fosse, what you say should be correct if the new gradient map adjustment layer is not totally supported by previous versions.

But there is a work around that indicates is just a bug: if I convert an image layer in a smart object layer, I can apply the gradient map adjustment layer from the menu "image" > adjustments > gradient map, setted in classic method. In this way the gradient map will be a smart adjustment layer and, once saved, the psd can be opened in the older versions keeping the smart adjustment layer with the correct settings.

So, the problem is in the normal gradient map adjustment layer and is a bug, nothing else as you've supposed.

You can verify by replicating the steps described above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Current patch 23.0.2 doesn't solve the problem.

Awesome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a few reasons in my workplace we cannot upgrade past 10.14 yet and thus this issue is affecting us, causing irregular colour changes. Even is the issue is fixed, I guess existing files won't open correctly in Photoshop 2021 (currently 22.5.3)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally with the new Photoshop release 23.1.0 the bug has been fixed and the gradient map adjustment layer set in classic method is correctly recognized in previous versions. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's incorrect - the problem is not solved. Not on Windows 10 anyway. Nor is the issue mentioned in the latest Fixed Issues page update. The issue remains same as it was. 

New Photoshop version 23.1 on Windows 10 does NOT solve the problem.PSDs with Gradient Map Adjustment layers (set to Classic mode) edited in 23.1 then opened in an earlier version of Photoshop cannot open with the Gradient Map Adjustment layers intact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mathias17 I made a video clip to show you that, at least to me, the bug has been fixed on Windows 10. The previous version is 2021 with the latest release. 

https://streamable.com/wvph6r

Votes

Translate

Translate