• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Grid is drawing too thick when zoomed out

Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new grid in 21.1. Oh my God. I can't stand it. Whose idea was it to make the grid be a compulsory 2px thickness?

It looks actually very nice in zoomed-in mode:

But it's just horrible when you zoom out. What used to be a feather-thin lattice of lines has become a solid 2px-thick mess that overwhelms everything else. When you use use lots of artboards like me (and therefore need to frequently navigate around in zoomed-out mode) it becomes quite problematic. 

Here's the same portion of a document with the new grid and without. Even though it's zoomed out, you can clearly make out the content of it when there's no grid. But once you show the new grid, you can barely see anything but the thick gridlines. Some of the smaller shapes that are easily visible on the left are now hard to make out, as are the translucent ones; the text is much harder to read too. Plus the whole thing is just straining on your eyes.

The old grid didn't have these problems. Dammit, Adobe, this reminds me of the shift+transform debacle. Why fix things that aren't broken, when there are already plenty of things that are broken but remain unfixed year after year? These updates are exasperating sometimes.  

I can't find any setting anywhere to revert to a more sensible 1-px grid, but I'm just really really hoping that I've missed it somehow. If not, please, for the love of God, let us choose a 1px version in the settings!

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

We are happy to announce the release of Photoshop 21.2.1 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 21.2.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. 

More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
70 Comments
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and here's the same portion with the old grid (reverted to previous PS version just now). As you can see, it's much more civilised:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this is intentional. I will log an issue for engineering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, thank goodness! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, the new grid caused very significant slowdown when it was on.

The performance of 21.2 was already very bad (so bad that it makes me think there's a driver conflict or bug going on...I doubt you would have released the update if it caused this much slowdown for everyone). But when I turned on the grid, it became even worse - dragging around was almost like a slideshow. 

I don't notice much, if any, slowdown by showing the grid in 21.1.3.

Just a guess: perhaps Photoshop is rendering and re-rendering the grid multiple times? That could explain both the heavy thickness and the performance load.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just reinstalled 21.2 in case something had gone wrong with the first install. Unfortunately, the slowdown and the thick grid is still there. I'd estimate that dragging a canvas (with some 40+ smallish artboards on it) is about:

~5 times slower on 21.2 than 21.1.3. when the grid is off.
~10 times slower on 21.2 than 21.1.3 when the grid is on.

That's not hyperbole by the way, those are my best estimates based on feel, when trying it in 21.1.3, then trying it a few minutes later on 21.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Will add those notes for engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to bump this. Two grid-related issues that I'm experiencing:

1. If the grid or guides are turned on, performance is terrible. Very slow, laggy, jagged screen panning, etc. The first time I experienced this I thought that Photoshop was going to crash. For reference, my specs are: Windows 10; AMD 1800x; 1070 GTX; 32 GB RAM; Samsung M.2 SSD

2. The grid and guides look terrible. Both are blurry and their colors are not as vibrant/high contrast. I have cyan guides, for example, and they look washed out and blurry now. The zoomed-out view of the grid as David Bleja demonstrated looks awful, not crisp at all. We should have a way of reverting back to the more solid grid prior to this latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I'm not the only one! The performance is astronomically bad. For example:

Dragging a guide from the ruler to the canvas took 12 seconds in total, between the time I started and the time the cursor finally returned to its normal state. 

Just moving the rectangle marquee around is very laggy too. 

Photoshop is basically unusable at the moment for me. There's something very abnormal going on with this update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, new version is terrible - crazy grid and nightmare perfomance on my PC (Win10; i7; 16G; GTX1650) Rollback to version 21.1.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, i can confirm both the size and slowness issues on Win10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've since reverted back to 20.0.9. 

Wow. It's so much faster! If 21.1.3 was ~5 times faster than 21.2, then 20.0.9 is ~5 times faster still (so ~25 times faster than 21.2). Turning the grid on/off makes no discernible difference - it's lightning fast either way. I'd forgotten Photoshop was ever this fast!

Of course, the irony is that many of the changes between 20.0.9 and 21.2 included alleged "performance improvements". Mind boggling.

After being a vocal proponent of the subscription model since day 1, I'm now having decidedly second thoughts. Who knows when or if Adobe will fix these problems, so for the foreseeable future I'll be using the 1+ year-old 20.0.9 while continuing to pay monthly for a 'service' I don't use, as it seems to break more than it fixes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The performance regression here is genuinely unbelievable — sometimes it takes up to a minute for the grid to appear on my 2018 MacBook Pro, and moving the canvas becomes completely unresponsive. Please please please fix this ASAP Adobe, and work on your quality control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try 16.6 % Zoom View.....Totally unusable.

Gridline every 1 inch with 4 Subdivisions 5616 x 3744 with 300 ppi setting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are happy to announce the release of Photoshop 21.2.1 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 21.2.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. 

More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so the grid looks fine now, but performance with it active is really bad. I go from 30fps to 3fps when i turn the grid on.
Win10, Nvidia 2070
I'll add a note to the officials bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I found out that I have the same problem with support for GPU. There is option to turn offantialising for graphic cart if guides and grid are too thick but it does not work. Beside guides and grids look terrible, performance with thick grid is very bad. I tried to turn off GPU support and grids backs to normal (thin) but performance is not so good as with GPU. This started to occurs in version before 21.1.3. I am using RTX studio drivers with Nvidia 2070S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, same problem here with 2070S and RTX studio drivers. Terrible performance and thick unusable grid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am trying the grid in version 21.2.1 and I'm still getting this thick grid.  I was just using the grid for a project back in April and everything was fine.  Now the grid is useless.  And yes I'm also getting the massive slowdown when using the grid.  Hope we fix this in 21.2.2  ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the same portion of a document with the new grid and without. Even though it's zoomed out, you can clearly make

ADOBE_SUPPORT_NUMBER_+1-8-44-42-O-0*2*1*7....

out the content of it when there's no grid. But once you show the new grid, you can barely see anything but the thick gridlines. Some of the smaller shapes that are easily visible on the left are now hard to make out, as are the translucent ones; the text is much harder to read too. Plus the whole thing is just straining on your eyes.... .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the grid thickness was fixed in 21.2.1. Is that the version you're running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running 21.2.1 and grid is still thick and useless. By the way, guides are useless, too. I am using GPU support. Without GPU support grid is thin, but when you put guides, they are below grid, not above grid, so the guides are useless, too in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here: guides and grid are still thick (2 px wide) with GPU on (I'm on 21.2.1), and panning with guides and grid on is becoming very sluggish.

PS 21.2.1, Asus GeForce GTX 780, Win 10 x64.

The problem is marked as solved but it's not!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you are right. Problem is not solved at all. And you are also right for the performance. I use RTX 2070S, and performance is very poor. I contacted support, they told me to write post here, because programmers are reading posts. Maybe we should open new post because they maybe think this is really solved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bummer guys! i'll make sure the devs see that this is still buggy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on 21.2.1 and thick grid lines are still there 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate