• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Grid is drawing too thick when zoomed out

Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new grid in 21.1. Oh my God. I can't stand it. Whose idea was it to make the grid be a compulsory 2px thickness?

It looks actually very nice in zoomed-in mode:

But it's just horrible when you zoom out. What used to be a feather-thin lattice of lines has become a solid 2px-thick mess that overwhelms everything else. When you use use lots of artboards like me (and therefore need to frequently navigate around in zoomed-out mode) it becomes quite problematic. 

Here's the same portion of a document with the new grid and without. Even though it's zoomed out, you can clearly make out the content of it when there's no grid. But once you show the new grid, you can barely see anything but the thick gridlines. Some of the smaller shapes that are easily visible on the left are now hard to make out, as are the translucent ones; the text is much harder to read too. Plus the whole thing is just straining on your eyes.

The old grid didn't have these problems. Dammit, Adobe, this reminds me of the shift+transform debacle. Why fix things that aren't broken, when there are already plenty of things that are broken but remain unfixed year after year? These updates are exasperating sometimes.  

I can't find any setting anywhere to revert to a more sensible 1-px grid, but I'm just really really hoping that I've missed it somehow. If not, please, for the love of God, let us choose a 1px version in the settings!

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

We are happy to announce the release of Photoshop 21.2.1 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 21.2.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. 

More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
70 Comments
LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated it today to 21.2.1, reading the patch note said this bug was solved, but nope, the problem is still there : very thick grid when zoomed out, and very very low performances when drawing with brush.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080, Win 10x64.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I updatet to 20.2., if I activate the grid, it
shows thicker lines shaped like an L or so. I can't zoom, it just jumps around,
the dynamic zoom doesn't work at all. It is a horror, I can't work with grids,
which I need all the time. With version 20.0.9 everything was fine. Can the
problem be the graphic driver? I have an Eizo FS2333 monitor and the graphic
card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670, dirver vers. 451.67. It doesn't work on either of
our 2 desktops, but is fine on the old laptops.I reset the preferences, no change.

But the perspective crop
grid works ok

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Installed this morning version 21.2.2. of Photoshop, but problem is still present. Performance is still very poor. For me doing web graphics this grid it is totally useful and annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is really annoying, don't know why Adobe changes a running system. Or at least let us choose how thick we would like the grid lines. It is not possible to work with the grid, as everything jumps around, the performance can't keep up. Thank god I still have 2019 Installed, so I have to swap whenever I work with the grid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bad thing for me is that I have CC subscription and I cannot go back to older versions. Annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep.  Was excited when I saw the update today.  Hoped it would have a fix for this in it.  Nope.

Temporary Solution:
I will say that if you turn off "Use Graphics Processer" under Preferences > Performance, you get the old grid.  It sucks to not have the advantages of the Graphics Processer, but if you really need the grid, this is your only option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grid without GPU is ok, bud guides are not. They should be over grid, but guides are under the grid. So neither with or without GPU support is working ok. Not the mention that GPU becomes waste of money if no GPU support is turned on.
Come on guys, please fix this problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also confirming these issues persist on 21.2.1. I reverted back to 20.0.10 and the grid issues and sluggish response are fixed. As a side note, I get the same slow behavior when editing paths on the newer versions of PS...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not fixed in 20.2.1 - I reverted back to 20.0.10 which does not have the same issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As someone commented above installing version 20.0.10 is the last version without this issue.  I'll be working in that until this is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently on Photoshop CC 2020 21.2.1. Currently clicking on "View/Show/Grid" and start zooming in/out, rotating canvas, it tremendously slows PS down to a point it stutters!!! My workstation is definitely more capable of running multiple programs(both 3D & 2D) at the same time, even with dedicated graphic card. And I have never had this issue before. So it is from Adobe's side that this bug happens.

Please look into this and fix it! At this point, it is impossible to work with grid turned on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With today's 21.2.2 release, Ps slows to a crawl with the Grid Visible and the lines are still too thick, obscuring the image we're trying to view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing acceptable performance and vis on my mbp though? It appears this issue is SD display related?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue is on 1920x1200 screen size and on 1920x1080 screen size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it has anything to do with SD displays.  I'm doubtful anyone has an SD display in 2020.  Unless you're considering 1920 x 1080 SD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt, huh? Most of the world is still using SD. Almost all high-end monitors are SD... NEC, Eizo, etc. The res most of us run at is 2560x1440, and I'm currently looking at a display which is 3440x1440 SD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we may have different definitions of SD.  As far as I knew SD was 640x480, which almost no one is running at anymore.

https://www.muvi.com/blogs/streaming-video-resolutions.html#:~:text=WhatisSD(StandardDefinition,480i...

While HD is 1920x1080, which I think most people are running at, not 2560x1440.  I think 1440 displays are still pretty niche.

https://www.screenresolution.org/

https://gs.statcounter.com/screen-resolution-stats/desktop/worldwide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah, High Density vs Standard Density. SD displays are ~100ppi and HD are 150+. 
And no, 2560x1440 is quite common nowadays. Most 27" monitors are that res.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use NEC 24" professional graphics monitor and it is 1920x1200. No need for higher resolution. But, still that does not explain the thickness of the grid in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has NOT been fixed, still the same problem with 20.2.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean I just posted actual screen resolution stats.  18% of monitors are 1920x1080.  2560x1440 is at 3%.  I think it's less common than you think.

I just searched Newegg for monitors.  5 out of 50 on the first page were 2560.  The rest were 1080.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=monitor

Though I'm sure in the graphic design world that percent is a higher.  Personally I still work on 1080 screens.  But I haven't bought a monitor in over 5 years.

I hadn't seen SD referring to pixel density.  I suppose that's probably a more relevant use of the acronym considering no one uses 480 monitors anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just searched Newegg for monitors.  5 out of 50 on the first page were 2560.  The rest were 1080.
Incorrect! At the link you posted in the left side selector there is a list (Recommended Resolution) of ALL the monitors they sell by resolution.  There are 630 1920 x 1080 monitors and 628 2560 and higher resolution monitors. This doesn't include Mac systems most of which have integrated Retina displays with greater than 1920 x 1080 resolution.

1920 x1080 TVs are almost nonexistent (see below Costco TV search)!

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=monitor

https://www.costco.com/televisions.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It really doesn't matter if monitor is 1200p or 2160p. Grid line is 2px thick and never mind which resolution you use, 2px will be 2px on every monitor. On the other side, performance is very poor. If you revert to older version of photoshop, you will see that grid is ok. By the way, there is option to turn off anti-aliasing in photoshop if you find out that grid is not appearing ok, but that option is not working for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not only annoying. It is expensive, too. Adobe CC costs lot of money. And if you are using photoshop for business... well you got the point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that still shows that 1080 is the most common.  There's 630 1080 monitors and 630 2K or higher monitors.  And only 250 @ 2560x1440, which was claimed to be the most common type of monitor now.  I think this does show things are headed there, but it's still far more common for people to have 1080 monitors than anything else because people aren't upgrading monitors every year so it's going to take some time for today's sales statistics to match usage statistics.

As far as TVs that's also not the case everywhere.  I just bought a TV at Walmart (where a lot more people shop, 3 million vs 38 million per day) not long ago and the section for HD TVs was as large as the 2K and 4K TVs, though of course most of the TVs they were showing off were the 4K TVs.

If you go to Walmart you can see that it's about half and half.

I'll concede that it's heading that way.  But as far as what people actually have right now, most people are still using 1080 TVs.

Looking at TV statistics 2019 was the first year with more 4K sales than HD sales.  46% - 53%

https://www.statista.com/statistics/818419/world-tv-market-share-by-type/

So probably within a few years 1080 is going to start looking like 480 in terms of usage.  We're just not quite there yet.

I'm sure people are finding this conversation tiring, but I do think it's important to consider what users are viewing things we make on.  And it looks like very soon it's going to be mostly 4K.  Which means much bigger PSD files for everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate