• English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

P: Hang while using Shawdows/Highlights tool with the Histogram panel showing (macOS)

24 Votes
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After latest update Photoshop 21.1.0 hangs while trying to use the Shawdows/Highlights tool. Spinning beachball appears and you have to Force Quit the app. Happens everytime.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020
This issue is fixed in the 21.1.1 update that went live last night.

Votes

Translate

Translate
83 Comments
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same shadow/highlight issue.  Mac OS X 10.15.3.  No Bitdefender. Uninstalled PS 21.1.0 and reinstalled, but it did not help. Adobe, this is a bug!  Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not recover the custom settings from the previous installation during the installation of this version and the bug will disappear!

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I reverted to 21.0.3 and the bug is not there in that version.  I'll try the above suggestion later.  I have some work to finish first!  Lost a lot of time because of the crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Especially not to re-inject parameters Workspace and Toolbar, it is necessary to recreate it !

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since my last post I have also found that using the Refine Edge Brush when doing Select and Mask doesn't work properly. Either nothing happens or the mask edge gets corrupted and "messy". This is happening on both an iMac and also on a latest fully loaded iteration of the Mac Mini. Both are running Mac OS 10.14.6 (Mojave). Even calling up the old Select Mask via the Alt Key and then choosing Select and Mask doesn't fully resolve the situation.

Is anyone else experiencing similar and if so have you found a workround?

I have also posted this additional problem under a separate heading and on the Photoshop Support Community board but thought it worth posting here as well.

This 21.1.0 release seems to be full of bugs and needs resolution asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've reverted back to v21 got an offline installer from Adobe. Just have to wait until there release a new patch

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset your prefs. Hold Cmd + Opt + Shift while opening photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imac 2017 27 inch MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 > PS 21.1 Shadow/Highlighlight filter freezes PS everytime. Have to Force Quit & restart the App - cannot use S/H filter at all on .jpg or .psd files - please resolve - never had this problem before - been a mac PS user since late 1997

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another suggestion I saw elsewhere instructs to enter values directly in the dialog box rather than using the sliders. It worked for me, though it's far from ideal and let us hope that Adobe fixes the bug in the next update. Bad Adobe. Bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to trash your preferences and it will fix this.  A PITA for sure, but it solves the problem, and it is not a bad idea to have a look at those preferences from time to time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - tried that.  Didn't work.  Also tried typing into the box but no use either.

Mac 10.14.16  No Bit Defender!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting prefs has no effect at all

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I did was uninstall and reinstall without the preferences. That worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue here. New 16" Mbp fully specked out running Catalina 10.15.3. Please solve this Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here the same problem!
Hope Adobe solve this very soon!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully, Adobe will address this. You can roll back to version 21 (AdobePhotoshop21-mul.dmg) - I got this from Adobe, as they do not have the installer available online to download.

https://we.tl/t-QKlgzag7J8

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same probleme with H/S on Mojave and PS 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2020 Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here: 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way I solved this was to delete PS and reinstall without preserving preferences. A royal PITA but it worked. Adobe must know about this. I don’t want to have to do this after every minor version update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me too.

Macbook Pro
MacOS catalina

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This made no difference in my situation and was a PITA to reset everything back again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will be fixed in the next update which will be out very shortly. Workaround is to hide the Histogram panel when using Shadow/Highlights.

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I trust that Adobe are sorry that the "assistance" give by their on-line chat agent to me 3 weeks ago was totally wrong and his on-line access to my system ( which he said was needed in order to sort the problem out) resulted in the totally unnecessary disabling of my anti virus program. Not only that but when he uninstalled said anti virus program he did not do it properly and the upshot of that was I had to have a long series of calls to the BitDefender helpline to sort matters out.

The agent also unnecessarily stopped Photoshop using my Graphics Card which also had consequences which I have now rectified having implemented your work-round ( which does appear to have solved the original problem).

I believe an apology is in order, a) for the "bug" and, b) for the actions of the on-line chat agent who caused more problems with his "fix" which did not result in a stable resolution of the fault and left me in a worse situation than I had been in. He should have referred the matter up first before denying there was a "bug" and then fiddling with my system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally being sorted out, this is very poor. We all pay for a CC subscription. I glad this has been finally addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your pain. Another inept "technician." He was probably very enthusiastic, polite, yet poorly trained. Adobe has a huge problem with quality control and tech support. But, to be fair, let us all acknowledge how complex the software is--a whole suite of integrated applications with enormous power. None of us can claim to be experts, despite how well we use the software, as there is always something new to learn. But, for the price we pay--year after year, support should be flawless.

Votes

Translate

Translate