P: Healing and Spot Healing Brush Lag

111 Votes
Contributor ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In most recent 2018 update, healing and spot healing brush have become much less responsive, sometimes taking multiple seconds after completion of stroke to affect the image.

Late 2016 Macbook, up to date OS and Software

I've done the regular things like turning off OpenCL and changing other performance options... no change.
GIF framerate is sped up 2x 

RackMultipart2017101816638abxo-e6dcc86c-5f0a-49df-839e-84a8dc0a1a54-349345759.gifRackMultipart2017101816638abxo-e6dcc86c-5f0a-49df-839e-84a8dc0a1a54-349345759.gif

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017
This should be resolved in the 19.0.1 update released last night. Please update Photoshop using the Creative Cloud desktop app, and let us know how it feels! Regards Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 282 Replies 282
282 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn, sorry to hear that Scott!! That sooo sucks! 

Thanks for the warning...I will continue to hold off, or at least try to! I don't get how High Sierra updated itself! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it wasn't High Sierra. It was their security update, 10.12.6. But it did it overnight, and I never allow automatic updates, so I'm not sure what they did. I'm still trying to figure it out. But wow. Anyway, turning GPU acceleration off in PS fixes the issue but then filters and my actions take longer. I feel bad for Adobe having to put with Apple's nonsense. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might just be the OS indexing your startup drive. Sometimes that process can mess with overall system responsiveness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah...Okay. So, I have 10.12.6. I have a brand new computer, I don't remember updating it to this version...maybe I did, maybe Apple did it on it's own. Overall my computer seems to be okay, but Photoshop was lagging really bad for me too. But, the computer's performance over all was not as fast as I expected for getting a new computer. (24 GB RAM, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5 iMac. But PS was dragging the worst! It wasn't even usable. So...I am having the exact same problem as you Scott. Turning off GPU Acceleration has helped me too. 

SO, Try this!!...just today...Adobe came out with PS CC 19.1 (it was 19.0.1), it said it had bug fixes including for high resolution monitors. So, I tried it...I installed it, turned GPU Acceleration back on and it *seems* to be working better. I am not doing anything intense, but I do have big files open and I am not getting the same slowness (i.e. zoom in & out slowness, turning on and off layers isn't as bad), it is much better. So, I'd recommend trying PS CC 19.1. See if that helps! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hannah, 

I got an PS CC 2018 update notification yesterday for version 19.1 and...so far, it seems to be helping my sluggish/lagging issues w/o having to upgrade to High Sierra. I haven't done a lot of brush work, but even basic zooming and showing/hiding layers doesn't take forever to display. Just so you know! 

Thanks,
Beth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's awesome to hear, Beth. Thanks for the update!

~Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I'm experiencing the same 'lag' issue, for the first time ever. However I'm still using PS CS6, and have had nothing to do with PS CC 2018. The lag with the spot healing brush began after upgrading my MacPro (with 20 GB ram) from OS 10.7.5 (Mountain Lion) to OS 10.11.6 (El Capitan). I use a Wacom Intuos 4 tablet.

Given all the comments on this thread blaming PS CC 2018, your thoughts would be very welcome.
Is there a fix for the problem?

Thanks,
Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate