• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Healing and Spot Healing Brush Lag

Contributor ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In most recent 2018 update, healing and spot healing brush have become much less responsive, sometimes taking multiple seconds after completion of stroke to affect the image.

Late 2016 Macbook, up to date OS and Software

I've done the regular things like turning off OpenCL and changing other performance options... no change.
GIF framerate is sped up 2x 

RackMultipart2017101816638abxo-e6dcc86c-5f0a-49df-839e-84a8dc0a1a54-349345759.gifRackMultipart2017101816638abxo-e6dcc86c-5f0a-49df-839e-84a8dc0a1a54-349345759.gif

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017
This should be resolved in the 19.0.1 update released last night. Please update Photoshop using the Creative Cloud desktop app, and let us know how it feels!

Regards
Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 282 Replies 282
282 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

Can you take a look at your console log to see if the OS or Photoshop is reporting anything there?  Also, it would be worth looking at activity monitor to see if PS CC 2018 is using more CPU when using those tools compared to previous versions.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam,
Thanks for the speedy reply.
Nothing abnormal in memory or CPU resources. I've purged the history, tried many combinations of performance variables in PS settings, the only thing that fixes it is a restart of PS.
I'm not sure what to look for in the console log. No errors are showing up for Adobe or Photoshop
RackMultipart20171018625381ef7-e972cdf5-b3b2-4d79-85c9-17ce5148142c-2009062619.png
RackMultipart20171018967761bg9-ccc3408b-fad0-43b1-be8b-0c7d8f947a7f-1468962461.pngRackMultipart2017101873868es4n-7f5c1f11-4daa-434f-bff4-da29774e3c3c-1863480941.pngRackMultipart201710187074rtjaw-6ba71e0f-d480-4a0e-b157-0ab845d2f1bd-1896269305.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you restarted your computer after the update? I had another customer report this issue and a restart of their system corrected the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came in here to report the same problem. I work on typically very large images (10,000 pixels) and the spot healing brush is now almost unusable. There is incredible lag, so I can no longer go from spot to spot as the lag will either not catch up or it will create a line point between the two spots and create an even larger delay. 

Back to the clone tool in the meantime. Hope there is a fix for this. Wouldn't have updated if I had known of the slowdown...

On OS 10.2.6 and have restarted after installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too experienced the "line point between two spots" almost like holding shift between each click. Rebooting PS cleared it up but saving large 16-bit files takes a while. However, I have also recently worked a long period of time without the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my sample of the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try a restart and Disk First Aid, neither have resolved the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't forget to hit the "me too" so this bug becomes a priority

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't forget to hit the "me too" so this bug becomes a priority

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, it's not just the healing tool for me. Zooming in and panning are occasionally lagging exactly the same as the healing tool, taking multiple seconds to react, but the cursor freezes for these two actions in between rendering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same problems, with painting brushes, especially any effect and tne new brushes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Back to the clone tool in the meantime. Hope there is a fix for this. Wouldn't have updated if I had known of the slowdown...>

You're not stuck on 2018. You can reinstall 2017 if you uninstalled it. Personally, I keep the last version back for some time after installing a new version—just in case something comes up that makes my life harder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically a restart of OS or Photoshop reset the problem, but it comes back after a short time of working every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically a restart of OS or Photoshop reset the problem, but it comes back after a short time of working every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love the new algorithm for the Select and Mask tool, but healing brush makes it unusable... have to switch back to 2017, don't have time to keep testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you trash your Prefs when you installed CC 2018?
I had problems with the Healing Brush until I trashed my Prefs and rebooted the computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here people - the spot healing brush is now totally unusable with one simple click on the smallest specs of dust taking 10 seconds (I have timed it a couple of times) to complete it's healing.

Ironically the healing brush in Lightroom that I have complained about being too slow and unusable for years is now faster and more usable than the one in Photoshop! (though still no wear near good enough for Adobe to brag about it as an improvement the way they have been, it's still poor).

I've hit the Me Too button - and hope they can fix this soon I have hundreds of macro shots of micro chips to work through and although they were cleaned extensively every spec of dust on the product looks huge!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a day of messing about I appear to have overcome this issue - I'm not the methodical type unfortunately so I'm not exactly sure what I did to fix the problem but I recommend you persevere. Lots of reboots and checking drivers - "one of" the last things I did was unplug the Wacom art pad all together then reboot - after this I found the spot brush to be working nice a fast, and after I plugged the art pad back in with everything still running - it has been OK since then, (I'm not touching anything else until I have finished this job).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've had other reports of slow brush performance fixed with a preference reset and restart. If you haven't tried this yet, please do: use the button "Reset Preferences on Quit" from Preferences > General, then restart your system.  Does the lag still occur?  Please let me know.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the FALSE HOPE everyone . . . 

Well whatever fixed it did not last,  just a couple of hours use and it's now as bad as it ever was - Looks like its something Adobe broke and I can't fix it!!! I'm so far behind now this is now costing me money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can the people affected by this please help us by providing what type of file they're seeing this on?  8bit, 16bit? RGB, large, small, amount of layers?  Any info would be helpful for us in trying to reproduce this.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always work in 8bit, usually RGB.

I've experienced this problem on images ~10,000 x 7,000 pixels (155 dpi), single layer.

Also experiencing this on smaller 1200x1200 multi-layered TIF files (~8 layers), regardless of the toggle sample all layers being on or not.

I counted just now and it took over 20 seconds to clean up a single "spot" (20 pixel brush) on the 10,000x7000 flat image. The time on the smaller one is 3 seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This really should not matter they are the same type of files as the last few thousand files I was using all year long and before.

My use of PS is very repetitive this app should work no matter what the files and it especially should work at least as well as it did before on the same files - unless it is a downgrade!

But as you asked they are just simple RAW files straight out of a Fujifilm GFX 50s on a round trip from some basic batch processing in Lightroom (so it becomes a PS file when I hit the edit in PS comment in Lightroom of course) - if you think it's down to file size what the hell is going to happen when I want to look at large something out the Hasselblad or even larger such as our large format film scans.

Just make it work as it did before we never had to use specific type or size of file before.

BTW - I just reset preferences on quit and of course now my PS looks bad and I need to spend a whole load more time finding my way around it and putting everything back where I expect it to be!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also it would be helpful to know if you are driving PS with a mouse or tablet.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mouse here. I have tried with a tablet and am experiencing the same results (no faster or slower)

Votes

Translate

Translate