• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: How did I get a flattened PSD after saving PDF?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2011 Sep 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm not going to rage. I really want to. But I won't. I'm using Photoshop CS 5.5 (Windows). I was on the sixth version of a high fidelity Website mockup. The client asked that I provide them the design in PDF format. So from within the .PSD file, I select "Save As" and choose PDF as the format. I complete the PDF wizard and all seemed good.

No. Apparently, when you save as a PDF, it turns the PSD file you actively have open into a PDF? I noticed that the file type changed to PDF from PSD on the tab. "That's stupid," I thought. "I'll just change it back to a PSD, since I've made a few modifications since I saved it last."

You know, in Dreamweaver when you execute a "Save As", it opens the new file in its own tab. Just a thought.

Maybe my next choice was wrong, but it seemed instinctive to me. I decided to "Save As" again, but this time as a PSD file. I still had my layers in tact, so I didn't think there would be a problem.

I close out the file. When I open the PSD file back up just a few minutes ago, it's COMPLETELY FLATTENED. GONE. MY WORK IS GONE. Awesome. Thank you.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 26, 2012 Jan 26, 2012
I think there is some user confusion here. When you have a layered PSD, then choose File>Save As... and select PDF, and UN-check "Preserving Photoshop Edibility" the open file is not flattened at that point.

If you go back to the File menu, Save is disabled. You have to choose "Save As..."

SaveDisabled_inline-bd554432-d38e-4cc3-a961-403508d08b2d-1738150866.jpg

When you do, the format is set to Photoshop PDF (Note that Save: "Layers" is unchecked with a ! warning symbol):

SaveAsAgain_inline-84db35c8-5b2e-4e9a-8b62-42e750a7fdd3-85314074.jpg

If I change the Format pop-up to "Photoshop" note that Save: "Layers" is still unchecke...

Votes

Translate

Translate
72 Comments
LEGEND ,
Sep 22, 2011 Sep 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't "turn into a PDF", Photoshop just displays that last filename you saved the document to. Nothing changes about the document except the filename/path.

When you saved the PSD, you had to have chosen to not save layer data, or you flattened the document and forgot about it before saving.

Saving as PDF doesn't flatten the document, nor does it change the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2012 Jan 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same Problem. I can choose to save the PSD first and then save as PDF after and close the tab. Then goto to open the PSD that I SAVED WITH LAYER DATA, and wammo its flattened. Or I can save as pdf first, then SAVE as PSD and Close the tab, reopen the PSD and Wammo its messed up again. So Saving a PDF without Preserving Photoshop Edibility in the PDF and saving a PSD before or after saving the PSD will in turn automatically do the same in the PSD no matter which way you go about it. Its the stupidest thing ive ever seen, i have ruined so many jobs trying to fix this issue its not funny, PHOTOSHOP Has cost Thousands of dollars and ticks me off!!!
Edit: I also forgot to explain that the reason i have to UN-check "Preserving Photoshop Edibility" while saving a PDF because it makes a smaller file size for uploading to print services who have file size limits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2012 Jan 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there is some user confusion here. When you have a layered PSD, then choose File>Save As... and select PDF, and UN-check "Preserving Photoshop Edibility" the open file is not flattened at that point.

If you go back to the File menu, Save is disabled. You have to choose "Save As..."

SaveDisabled_inline-bd554432-d38e-4cc3-a961-403508d08b2d-1738150866.jpg

When you do, the format is set to Photoshop PDF (Note that Save: "Layers" is unchecked with a ! warning symbol):

SaveAsAgain_inline-84db35c8-5b2e-4e9a-8b62-42e750a7fdd3-85314074.jpg

If I change the Format pop-up to "Photoshop" note that Save: "Layers" is still unchecked with a ! warning symbol:

SaveAsAgainSwitchToPSD_inline-58583cd3-2c9d-4b97-a9f3-fa59de814cba-1824178506.jpg

If I save the file now, yes, the resulting PSD will not have layers. If you address the options/warnings, and check "Layers" then save the file, the resulting file will retain the layers.

Are you saying, that if you ensure that "Layers" is checked at this point and save the file the resulting file has no layers? I haven't been able to reproduce that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this issue for years, probably since Photoshop CS3. I'm on CS5.5 now and the issue still persists.

There's only one guaranteed solution that works...

1) Before saving to a PDF, duplicate your PSD file
2) Open the PSD duplicate
3) Save as PDF
4) Close
5) Delete PSD duplicate

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this issue for years, probably since Photoshop CS3. I'm on CS5.5 now.

There's only one guaranteed solution that works...

1) Before saving to a PDF, duplicate your PSD file
2) Open the PSD duplicate
3) Save as PDF
4) Close
5) Delete PSD duplicate

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. However, it is completely user error. When you save as PDF. The PSD file essentially closes and the file then becomes filename.PDF. You save that file without layers. Then if you Save as PSD because you thought you erased it, you accidentally leave layers unchecked. This then replaces the closed PSD into a PSD with no layers... aka flattened, also know as useless. I suggest opening the flattened image, add a layer with large font that says "DUMB" on it. Print it out, tape it right above your workstation. Then you will always remember what not to be. Alternatively, you should do the same thing but tape it to your chest for 1 hour after you have made this mistake. This way people will understand how you feel because it really is user error. The save as dialog box doesn't reset every time you use it.

If this was too harsh for you I'm sorry, I have another Idea that you will actually like. Every time you are going to save something as a PDF, go to your history panel of your PSD. Take a snapshot and then save. Also, every time you are finished with an awesome photoshop file, take a snap shot with your history menu camera. Name these snapshots as "pre-PDF" and "post-awesomeness". This way if you open your psd and it's flattened, you can click one of your snapshots and get back to work with layers. It's unfortunate that there isn't a magic genie to turn a flat psd or pdf into a layered file, but hey, you can never have too many snapshots. I hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2012 Apr 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I have a different scenario.

The following does NOT have to do with saving as a PDF.

It pertains to basic saving a PS file as a PSD.

Over the last few years with PS CS 3, I have had this problem on a periodic basis: when re-visiting a saved PSD file, the layers have mysteriously flattened. The age of the files does not seem to matter. Whether they are several years old or recent files, this flattening of layers can happen.

Here are my questions:

1. Can my PS possibly be corrupt? If so, is the best solution to delete the program and re-install?

2. Could my computer have a glitch? Perhaps it's not sending proper
signals to PS to save with all layers remaining intact?

FYI: I have had multiple problems with my MacBook Pro over the last 4 years. The problems included multiple freezing / crashes and repetitive / sticky keys. Many times, the problems would occur after intensive PS editing. The Apple folks could never figure it out. After I got a new battery, things seem to have improved. I also run my Disk Utility more regularly now.

3. Please review the steps for careful saving so that the PS layers
really do remain intact. Maybe I have carelessly skipped an important step when I have saved certain images.

4. Please provide troubleshooting tips regarding which Dialog box items
to UNcheck, to make sure that the layers stay intact.

Thanks ahead of time for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2012 Apr 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Yes, but then you'd get an error message and a confirmation dialog asking if you want to read the composite.

2) Nope.

3) Yes, you probably made a mistake when saving.

4) It's just the "layers" checkbox in the save dialog - that's all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 01, 2012 May 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue as well. But before I get started I just want to say Aaron your a tool! People come here for help. So help! Now to the issue at hand. After some trial and error this is what I've come up with. The issue only arises when your working on a file and you save it as a .pdf first, then after save it as a .psd. So before you save your file as a flattened .pdf make sure you save it as .psd first. That's it. Happy designing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2012 Oct 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffry, I dont think it's user confusion, this is a user interface problem Adobe could address easily. Photoshop has a pop up to warn us of trivial things (comparatively) such as fonts or to maximize compatibility but there's NO pop up to ask if i want to KEEP my layers?! I think there's something wrong with their priority system for warning it's users about how the file is saved. A tiny ! triangle in the middle of the save dialogue is not much of a warning. After all, we're talking about LAYERS here. Obviously there are lots of people who's logic is to check their file extension before closing the file they spent so much time working on. Once we discover we are working under the wrong extension we try to correct it. Now that I think about it, I've even gotten pop ups that warn me when I'm saving layers saying it will increase the size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with KenJyi Yos.....I mean, without functional layers, Photoshop would be completely useless. There absolutely needs to be a blatant warning about this issue when you are about to lose your layers. I don't think I ever encountered this before using CS6 (or whatever the newest one is...I use the cloud service)...I'm not sure how though, since it appears that it has happened to others using older versions, just as I have.

Seriously, if I'm saving a psd and I'm about to lose my layers, Photoshop should punch me in the skull before it lets me do that. When would I EVER want to lose all my layers in a psd?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what version of PS you're talking about, but in CS6, at least, saving as PDF, automatically unchecks 'layers' if you aren't careful. Then when you save as PSD again, it's still unchecked.

Again, there needs to be a more conspicuous warning that you are about to lose all your layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2012 Dec 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This all goes back to "Save as copy" - it was always safer to "save as copy", then you would have preserved the first version (make sure you save it first.) The copy version will have "copy" in the name, but at least you will not have lost anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another side but related issue is whether you are saving the layered file to open in PS or to open in Acrobat. The layers are not preserved when you open in Acrobat, even if they are preserved in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many people want to save copies of their images without layers.

And the choice to save layers or not has been in the save dialog for many years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 25, 2012 Dec 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if you check the "layers" checkbox, and save as pdf, the layers do not appear in the Acrobat Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, Acrobat does not know how to work with Photoshop layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layers cannot be preserved in Acrobat, because Acrobat has no idea how to work with Photoshop layers (which are more complex than what Acrobat works with).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 26, 2012 Dec 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how do you create a multi-page PDF from a PS file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2012 Dec 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a year now, and I've finally cooled off. 😉 Actually, I only now realized there had been activity on this thread.

While the potential flattening of a PSD is certainly an unfortunate outcome and arguably a less-than-intuitive user experience - I appreciate that you took the time to outline what was ultimately a (my) user error.

I'm using Photoshop Extended CS6 now. I've done everything I can to replicate the issue in and I can't. The integrity of my PSD file and all of its layers stays in tact regardless of the PDF options I select during a "Save As".

I've been using one version or another of Photoshop for more than a decade now, and I can honestly count on one hand the number of times I've had a legitimate gripe with the program. It's a great product, and Adobe's commitment to it and the rest of the Creative suite deserves recognition. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2013 Feb 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem and I now have to redo everything.

Isn't that the function of "Save As"? To create another file of another type???
You're saying that it doesn't flatten the psd file automatically but here's the thing:

-I SAVED AS pdf, with the Editing Capabilities unchecked because I intend to have a separate working PSD file for that.
-After that, with all the layers still visible (and seemingly untouched in my Layers window), I SAVED AS again, this time as a PSD file to make sure I have a workable file with workable layers.
-At this point I assumed I already have a separate PDF and PSD file, in different locations in my computer.
- Then it showed a dialog box saying I haven't saved the file with layers something something and if I would like to save the file in a workable format. I chose NO because, less than a minute ago, I saved a PSD file of my work (needless to say the layers WERE there in the Layers window when I did).
-Now when I opened the PSD file...tah-dah! IT'S FLATTENED.

So what the f-ing h is going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2013 Feb 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read the previous posts. You saved without layers, and then forgot to turn the saving of layers back on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a horrible UI implementation. If I save as jpg, gif or almost any other format, when the save is complete, the PSD is intact, my layers are fine. Is there anyone out thee who purposely would want to change the format of the PSD and loose layers, just because you have to save a copy as PDF to send to others (since most of the world does not have Photoshop).
I have had this issue before, and always try to keep the files separate, but I'm not a machine...I expect the software I'm using to not put me into this position.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2013 Nov 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a travesty... I get prompted for all manner of inconsequential things, but destroying 25 hours of work on a PSD happens just like that?

I get reminded that something will save with COPY appended to the file name. I get asked if I want to maximize compatibility... And someone above has the temerity to lead with the comment "it is user error"?

Bad on me for not realizing that everything is protected with redundancies and warning prompts EXCEPT for the nifty feature where the Save as PDF and Self Destruct functions go together into one button with NO prompt...

Terrible job allowing this to occur.

Thank you to the consumer advocate saying there is some confusion here.. there sure is. I truly hope some one in development makes certain this never happens to anyone again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2013 Nov 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the latest versions of Photoshop (CS6+) have modified the Save As PDF wizard to prevent the PSD file from being converted into a PDF file. But the issue still exists on CS5.5 and lower. Good on Adobe for addressing this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate