• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: How to disable multiple nudge-items in the history?

Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2015 Jun 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop CC 2015 nudge-items are being added every time I press an arrow key. How can I disable it and restore the old behavior? In previous versions no matter how much presses you did only one nudge was being added in the history.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
31 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2015 Jun 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johnny,

Again, I cannot reproduce what you're seeing on either Windows or Mac using PS CC 2015.  The Nudge state records (by default) ALL nudges made to a given layer until another tool is used.  So, you can nudge to the left, up, down, right, left again, up again, and it all folds down into ONE history state.  I just verified that this is working correctly in the GM.

Are you SURE that you're running the released CC 2015 and not some early prerelease or hacked version?

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a trial version I downloaded from adobe.com.
I run it using Win7.

BTW, on previous versions of PS (even CC 2014) everything works fine.
Series of nudges were being counted as a single Photoshop step in the history.

But I found on the Internet at least one man who has the same issue even on CC2014:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1650206
I guess this means that the problem is pretty hard to reproduce. Probably it depends on some factors of an operating system. Maybe you have any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johnny,

Have you tried resetting your prefs?  The other poster didn't respond after that suggestion, so perhaps the reset solved it.

I'd be willing to try and figure out what the "secret ingredient" is on your install, but it'll have to wait until after the 4th, as the company has a shut-down next week.  I'll send an email to you in order to follow up after the break.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a problem in CC 2014 where nudge would record separate states because an extension panel got some events happening in between each nudge.
If you are using any third party plugins or extension panels - try disabling them.
Also try disabling Generator in Photoshop's preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, thank you! After your comment I started to discover the Plug-Ins section of the settings, and I found the solution. I disabled the "Load extension panel" entry and then restarted PS. And now everithing works perfectly.

David, have a good weekend )) Thank you as well. May be this solution would be interesting for you. Write to me if you have any questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so one of the extension panels is the cause.

Can you narrow it down a bit more? Is it one that ship with Photoshop, or a third party panel? We'd like to follow up with the developer to get rid of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2015 Jun 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is one that ship with Photoshop. I've nothing added and nothing configured.
I'm starting a just installed PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2015 Jul 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, however its complicated. On Mac OS X Yosemite. I installed from the Creative Cloud desktop app with main user account (user ID 501). Nudge works as expected. Login to same Mac with a different user account, nudge works as Johnny describes. David, you described how the nudge tool works "by default". Is there a setting that makes it act as Johnny and I see?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enabling or disabling of extensions, or settings changed in extension panels might. Changing the Generator preference also might be related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick feedback. I tried disabling the Generator, and also tried loading without extensions (holding shift Neither had an effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting preferences (shift-option-command) didn't help either 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2015 Jul 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there's nothing that we know of that would make it record each nudge separately. So what is different between your main account and the other account?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 06, 2015 Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat,

Chris is correct -- Nudge commands are "smushed" together in the History panel.  The only way they wouldn't be is if you did something in between.  Keep in mind, there are a number of actions which do NOT record in history but which could cause this, such as changing layers.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Johnny,

Please see my comment, below...

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or if a third party plugin, or extension panel got some other operations in between - which is what I suspect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, I don't appreciate the accusation that I must have been doing something "in between", or that somehow i didn't already understand how it was supposed to work. I finally figured out what the problem was, so I guess I'm all set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was the problem, and how did you solve it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 08, 2015 Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat,

Sorry if you feel "accused" -- my intention is to help you solve your problem.  There are MANY things users can do which have consequences which they do not either expect or understand.  I spend an hour or more every day reaching out to people, just like you, in order to clarify how the app works so as to help them solve their issues.

The simple truth is, you had to have done SOMETHING for the nudge commands not to be grouped as a single action.  What that was, I don't know.  But it had to have been something, otherwise the nudge commands WOULD be grouped.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2015 Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that "something" could have been due to a third party plugin, script, or extension panel -- not necessarily something that you did deliberately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2015 Jul 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright. So the problem for me was that I wasn't logged in to the Creative Cloud desktop app on the second OS X user account. I was only logged in to Creative Cloud on the primary OS X user account. This came to be after Creative Cloud updated itself a couple of weeks ago. PS CC 2014 was fine with this (even after installing PS CC 2015), and since i only update software with the primary account, i left it alone. PS CC 2015 was not as happy. Once I broke down and logged into Creative Cloud on the second account, nudge started working as expected. I do wonder why PS CC 2014 was happy and PS CC 2015 was not, but it's resolved now, and it seems like an edge case, so...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2015 Jul 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so it has something to do with one of the creative cloud extension panels not being signed into the cloud. Now we'll have to see if we can reproduce the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I also noticed this issue. Upon further troubleshooting, if I nudge a Text layer, a Smart Object (a layer that was brought into PS CC by using File > Place), a shape, a layer with brush strokes (I'm sure others, that is just what I tested), the Nudge history is as expected - one line in the history until going off the layer. However, going to the layer where I noticed the issue to start with, it is a layer that was dragged in from AI as a Vector Smart Object that I also used Puppet Warp on (Smart Filter), and for this layer the Nudge consumes the history palette recording a line for each nudge, which is most definitely not helpful! Same behavior if I create a layer, make it a smart object, and add puppet warp. However, if I create a layer (simple brush line) and leave it as a pixel/rasterized layer, apply puppet warp and nudge, the nudge is only 1 line in the history. Looking at other Smart Filters, applying Liquify to a Smart Object layer, the history palette behaves as expected (one line for multiply nudges on the layer).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue and I have narrowed the problem down to using a program called Skala Preview, which allows me to see a live preview of my Photoshop file on a mobile device (https://bjango.com/mac/skalapreview/)

I'm signed into Creative Cloud and I also have everything unchecked on the Plug-Ins section of the Preferences panel except Enable Remote Connections, which is required to run Skala Preview.

The nudge history behaves as expected if I have not launched the Skala Preview app. However, once I launch that app, the History panel logs every nudge, which is soooo frustrating.

I'm going to submit a support ticket to the makers of Skala Preview now. It would be great of Adobe could reach out to them to get this sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, if that is inserting events between your nudges, that would cause the behavior you describe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Kathleen,

Thank you.  Your steps clearly demonstrate the problem.  This does look like a bug and I've gone ahead and logged one.

Hopefully, we'll have a resolution soon.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate