• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ignoring ACLs on Mac OS X

Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2016 Oct 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to submit a bug report after running into this issue with a client and confirming it on my own system. This is with Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5. According to the client the issue did not exist on 2015.4

The client has a SAN that uses ACLs to control permissions due to having multiple AD groups in use. They recently updated to Photoshop 2015.5 and immediately started having permission issues with PSD files. They were no longer able to save PSDs that other users had created. 

In looking into the issue I found that even though the ACLs were correct on the filesystem Photoshop was completely ignoring them and was defaulting to the POSIX permissions. POSIX on OS X are restricted to Owner R/W by default so this quickly became a problem. I verified it was only looking at POSIX by modifying the POSIX permissions on a test file (opened it to rwx-rw-r--) so that the group could write the file. This allowed the user to save the file which had been created by another user.

I also verified this on my own system running 2015.5 and found that when I created a new PSD file in a folder with ACLs the ACLs were not inherited by the PSD file. I then changed the POSIX permissions and verified that ACLs were being ignored. 

In my eyes (and the client's eyes) this is a major issue. Many people utilize ACLs in their shared storage environments for various reasons (like Premiere coming up with it's own POSIX permissions and zip files) and Photoshop ignoring those ACLs will cause problems. I am aware that you can change the POSIX after the fact and modify the umask to 002 but at the same time I shouldn't have to mess around with file system permissions to get Photoshop to work correclty in a shared storage environment. 

I do hope that this is solved in the next release of Photoshop.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017
This issue is fixed in the Photoshop CC 2017.1 update

Please update Photoshop by clicking "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop application next to Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
14 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ethan,

Can you confirm what version of OS X is running on these systems? Additionally, there was no 2015.4 update. The update prior was 2015.2.1. Can you confirm the problem does not occur with 2015.2.1? You can install the prior version side by side with 2015.5.x. Info here: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/download-install-app.html#Installpreviousversionsofapps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

I'm 10.11.4 and the client is also running 10.11 though I need to verify the point release.

Apologies for screwing up the release number, I'm not sure how I managed to do that. I'll go ahead and put on 2015.2.1 alongside my 2015.5 install and let you know what happens. The client is using 2015.5 due to it fixing some bugs they were concerned about so I don't know if they would want to downgrade but I'll see if I can get them to sideload 2015.2.1

Ethan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2016 Oct 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

I went ahead and installed 2015.2.1 and the behavior was exactly the same. No ACL inherited from the parent folder and POSIX permissions were the only permissions used.

I'll need to check with the client on what previous version they were using though it might have been 2014 which I'll test as well.

Ethan 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. As far as I know, there weren't any major to changes to this area of the app. That said, if we can determine for for sure that it did work properly for them in a version Photoshop, that might provide some clues. It may have been some change at the OS version - that they may have coincided with a PS update. In either case, having a repro state where it works and then doesn't helps our cause for tracking down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No sweat. The versioning is a bit goofy within the CC 2105 branded applications. One easy way to get the exact version, and avoid the branding version, is to select Help > System Info... from within Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

Wanted to give you an update. Going back to 2014.2.2 "solved" the issue. In 2014.2.2 the file permissions actually change when the file is saved. I made the owner root:wheel with 755 permissions and when I saved it the owner was changed to my user and the staff group.

So it looks like 2014.2.2 does read the ACLs and makes the current user the owner of the file when it saves.

Ethan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Let me work with engineering to see if we can track what's going wrong down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate it. I should note that this behavior only seems to happen in Photoshop, it did not happen in the newest version of After Effects. The behavior in After Effects was what happened in 2014.2.2 and the changing of the owner. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffery I have not gotten Photoshop to work on my late 2015 27inch iMac for 4 months. I ve even taken the machine to apple and installed photoshop in the apple store on to a clean operating system and it immediately crashed. No version of photoshop will work. Please help me, my entire creative world has crumbled due to this issue. Im not a tech  head I don't havre the time to troubleshoot your product for you so please please help me. all versions hang at multiprocessor during startup 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Different issue, nothing to do with ACL/POSIX permissions.

Please reference the new conversation here: Photoshop: Crash on iMac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would like to chime in here and note that we are a retouching studio with 50 users working off of an AFP server.  Two of us, one running Mavericks and myself running Sierra, have upgraded to PS CC2017 and we are experiencing locked files upon saving.  Our IT guy confirmed that PS is changing POSIX permissions and ACLs are being ignored.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is fixed in the Photoshop CC 2017.1 update

Please update Photoshop by clicking "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop application next to Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super! just in time. We were working on a work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks Hans. Let us know how it goes for you and team. 

Votes

Translate

Translate