• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Inaccurate selections with Radeon graphics cards on Mac OS

LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2011 Aug 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing Lion, selections with the Rectangular Marquee Tool generally are reduced by one pixel when the mouse button is released. For example, dragging a 25x25px square results in a 24x25px selection.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 25, 2013 Oct 25, 2013
It appears this issue was solved by a fix to the drivers released with Mac OS X 10.8.3 or later. Let us know if you're using a version of OS X 10.8.3 or later and still seeing this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 116 Replies 116
116 Comments
LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2012 Mar 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn’t mean much if you have to pay hundreds of dollars for an upgrade just to fix a bug. Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bugs are in Apple's video card drivers. Adobe is just attempting to work around the bugs, and that took significant time to develop and test.

When Apple fixes the bug in the drivers, that should solve the problem in all versions. But until then, we've tried to avoid the problem in the latest version of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nice of you guys to take care of this.
However, a logical question would be -- are you guys planning any CS5/CS5.5 patches with these "workarounds".

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2012 Mar 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're preparing to release CS6, and the workarounds are not simple patches. No, there will not be updates for CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 09, 2013 Jan 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have started to get this issue again, in CS6 (Intel graphics card)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sam,

Could you specify which Intel graphics card you're using? Intel HD 3000? Intel HD 4000?

Is this for a mac or windows machine?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

Intel HD Graphics 3000.
Mac (MacBook Air), OS 10.7.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't reproduce this on the same machine configuration. Could you give me more detail on your workflow and what you're seeing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have too, unfortunately. Seems like it started after updating to 13.1

My setup is:

Mac Pro, OSX 10.7.5
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB
Processor: 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 14 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: We were able to reproduce this, thanks everyone for your help. We'll investigate a fix. Somehow this was reintroduced with the latest patch, it doesn't occur in 13.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2013 Feb 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Michael

Sounds like you're able to isolate the bug. It'd be decent if you could roll out a patch for CS 5-5.5 users who purchased an upgrade from 4 only to find the bug introduced! The whole suite isn't exactly cheap! I can't see myself upgrading for some time. Besides, CS5.5 is not all that old. Surely Adobe value their customers enough to offer more than minimum support for their products.

In hope, Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Feb 19, 2013 Feb 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 03, 2013 Apr 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No news?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 16, 2013 Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this fixed in the CC release? If not, does anyone know if there is an older version with which this (and this http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...) does not happen?

(I'm thinking about canceling my CC subscription and buying a used copy of CS4, if these bugs do not exist in that version of PS?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 24, 2013 Aug 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that this bug still exists in Photoshop CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe! You are KILLING me with this bug! Stop spending time on conferences and fix your product. Also the movement of dragging the marquee outside the window is SO SLOW. How is it possible that Photoshop get worse with each new version?? Shouldn't it get progressively better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does get significantly better with each version. What, specifically are you seeing?

Also, the radeon selection problem is due to a bug in the driver, which we attempted to work around. Unfortunately different versions of the driver have different behaviors. For instance, I'm not seeing this in 10.7.5 with a Radeon 4670 or 7950.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an update with my modern hardware. I'm running Photoshop 13.0.5 x64 on a Mid 2013 MacBook Air with an Intel HD Graphics 5000 GPU. With "Use Graphics Processor" OFF in Preferences under Performance (which makes a difference), I'm seeing these behaviors:

• When I start to make a selection from top-left to bottom-right of a square, the top edge of the "potential" marquee appears to be 1 pixel above where the origin of my selection is, though when I release the mouse button to confirm my selection, the finished marquee moves down 1 pixel and lands on the top edge I intended to include in my selection. So, in this case, the end result is what I wanted given my starting coordinates, but it's not what it looked like I was going to get while I was making the selection.

• Also while doing the above operation, the right edge of the "potential" marquee is 1 pixel to the right of the vertical line of crosshair cursor. In contrast, the bottom edge of the "potential" marquee is perfectly aligned with the horizontal line of the crosshair cursor. In this aspect, to get my selection to be what I intend, I have to place the right edge of the marquee on the vertical column of pixels I'd like to include. That's consistent with the Photoshop marquee I know and love, but if I let the marquee go using the crosshair, my selection would be 1 pixel too wide to the right.

When I turn GPU usage back on in Preferences and restart Photoshop, the same test exhibits the same 1 pixel right-side inaccuracy as my second bullet above, as well as the same behavior on the bottom edge: The marquee edge sits 1 pixel below the horizontal line of the crosshair cursor.

One other thing I noticed while doing these tests is that the width of the individual "potential" marquee segments is different depending on the state of the GPU usage; Having the GPU on makes the black and white marquee segments about double the length. It's an odd inconsistency that makes it surprisingly easy to find out whether or not GPU acceleration is enabled. I prefer the shorter segments, but if selections were accurate in one state or another, I'd stick to that state!

Sorry for being so wordy, but I tried to be very specific. Let me know if you want any more details or experiments done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the GPU acceleration off (and restarting Photoshop), you're just using plain OS blit routines - anything that is offset is due to the OS or video card drivers.

Yes, the drawing is a little different with the GPU versus non-GPU, due to a number of rather obscure factors.

And yes, being specific about your system and what you're seeing helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've made a screen capture of the issue using a 2x2 canvas and zoomed all the way in.

http://imgur.com/edYY5YT

My specs:
Macbook Pro
OSX 10.7.5
2.3 Ghz i5
8 GB
Intel HD 3000 512 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2013 Sep 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds to me that (one of the) the conclusion(s) here is that Photoshop does not and will not run properly on a Macbook Air (presumably amongst other machines).

If Adobe will just come out and make this statement then we can all make an informed decision about changing our hardware or software, and get on with our lives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2013 Sep 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't we just get a fix placed in settings to correct the ant-march display by X by Y pixels? I've had this same problem since CS 3 (all on PC). The error's consistent and being able to adjust this in settings seems to make the most sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has not been consistent - we've made workarounds, Apple has made fixes, and somehow the driver never quite gets it right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop works just fine on a MacBook Air, and other machines.

But the function of your video card drivers is beyond Adobe's control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant it's been consistent for me. With a parameter in the settings to give users control of this display error, we could just adjust it ourselves, no? Something like:

Adjust Marquee
Horizontal _______
+ up, - down
Vertical _______
+ left, - right

Thank you, by the way, for the super prompt response. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate