• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Inaccurate selections with Radeon graphics cards on Mac OS

LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2011 Aug 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing Lion, selections with the Rectangular Marquee Tool generally are reduced by one pixel when the mouse button is released. For example, dragging a 25x25px square results in a 24x25px selection.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 25, 2013 Oct 25, 2013
It appears this issue was solved by a fix to the drivers released with Mac OS X 10.8.3 or later. Let us know if you're using a version of OS X 10.8.3 or later and still seeing this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 116 Replies 116
116 Comments
LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2013 Sep 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'll have to see if the problems are that simple (I'm not sure they are), and if we could expose offsets that simply (which might not be possible if they're in shaders).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2013 Sep 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, thank you for, at least, the consideration!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2013 Sep 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This makes no sense. How can you say it works with the Macbook Air, but not with the video card inside it? I'm not saying this is or is not under Adobe's control, that's beside the point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The application software works just fine. But the OS and driver software from Apple may not work until Apple updates it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not a particularly helpful comment for the end user. It's like saying you can use Photoshop without a display, with the disclaimer "the application is working, honest". The point is, the user is still not going to get any work done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 25, 2013 Oct 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears this issue was solved by a fix to the drivers released with Mac OS X 10.8.3 or later. Let us know if you're using a version of OS X 10.8.3 or later and still seeing this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2013 Oct 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I make selections on OS X 10.8.5 under Photoshop CS6 13.0.5 on a Mid-2013 MacBook Air with an Intel HD Graphics 5000 GPU here's what I see:

With GPU acceleration on, when I drag a marquee and release, the exact area that I've selected does not change between mouse-drag and mouse-release. This is good! However, there are issues: While I'm dragging the selection, the bottom and right marquee edges do not line up with the crosshair cursor, regardless of the direction in which I drag. Those sides are offset from the selection origin to the right by 1px and below by 1px. So, if you are watching the marquee edges while you make the marquee, you'll get an accurate selection. But if you're watching the cursor, it will be inaccurate and you'll get a result like this:

http://static.command-tab.com/2013/ps...

With GPU acceleration off, when I drag a marquee and release, the area I've selected DOES change between mouse-drag and mouse-release: The marquee size stays as I selected, but the whole marquee moves downward by 1px. I've prepared an animation of this here, so you can see the drag-and-release in action:

Also with GPU acceleration off, I'm seeing an issue similar to when GPU acceleration is on: While I'm dragging the selection, the top and right marquee edges do not line up with the crosshair cursor. Those sides are offset from the selection origin to the right by 1px and TOP by 1px (instead of bottom, like when GPU acceleration is on). So if you're watching the crosshair while making the selection, you'll end up with a marquee that's offset to the right 1px. Note that in this case, the top edge was off while making the selection, but because of the downward jump, it' actually ends up where it should be along the top edge.

However, if you watch the edges instead of the cursor, you'll end up with something like this (2-second animated gif):

This is really frustrating! It seems like no matter how you approach making selections, marquees just don't come out exactly right, but they used to in past versions of Photoshop and/or OS X. I realize that driver bugs are some of the most troublesome bugs to work around, and as someone who develops software for a living, I sympathize, but I hope this bug can be resolved soon. If there's any more detail I can provide, let me know — heck, I would be willing to drive down to San Jose from the north bay on a weekday to show some folks in person 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2013 Oct 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Collin, can you repost your system info for our OpenGL engineers to look at some of the settings and metadata that would be useful to them? Directions for sharing your system info from Photoshop:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2013 Oct 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, here's my system info from Photoshop: http://static.command-tab.com/2013/ps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2014 Feb 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it sounds like upgrading to 10.8 won't necessarily fix this. Can anyone confirm whether updating to Mavericks has any effect on this or any other Photoshop bugs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2014 Feb 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still appears to be off to me on 10.9.1 with Adobe Creative Cloud 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2014 Jun 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't if anyone has mentioned this anywhere, but it seems related. This circle looks off-centre at 100% but centred at 300%

Shouldn't this issue be reopened by the way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, because what you are showing is not related to this topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't suggesting it should be open because of this additional problem, but because the original marquee problem still exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, I'm STILL seeing the marquee bug on Adobe Creative Cloud 14.2.1 x64 on a Mid-2013 MacBook Air 6,2 with an Intel HD Graphics 5000 GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Sam - you're not showing a marquee problem. And the marquee problem is in the driver software for MacOS. We've done what we can, but we can't work around every change in the driver software with every OS release.

Votes

Translate

Translate