• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Incorrect reporting of text size (in points) in PS 13.0.4 (Macintosh, OS X)

LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2013 Jan 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've opened a 72dpi CS5 PSD in Photoshop 13.0.4 (Mac, 64-bit), and what's a 12pt is reported as a 23pt text in the dialogs.

Here's where it gets strange.

I open the very same document in Photoshop 13.0.1.1 (Windows, 32-bit) and the same piece of text is correctly reported as 12pt.

Here's where it gets stranger.

If I create a blank 72dpi document in Photoshop 13.0.4 on Mac and create a 23pt text, it's rendered at the correct size (over twice bigger than the first document I spoke about).

But if I drag this text into the problematic document on 13.0.4, it remains the same size, and it's still reported 23pt.

Let me take it slow here:

I end up with two very different size text layers in the same document. But they're still both reported as 23pt.

Again: in the same document. Two different size text. Both 23pt. I tried scaling the bigger one up a bit, with scale transform, to around 38pt. It displays as 38pt, but the text settings? They still show it as 23pt!

It's as if every text layer has its own invisible local DPI setting!

I opened this same PSD in Photoshop 13.0.1.1 on Windows, the two text fields are reported as different sizes: 37.72pt for the big one, 12pt for the small one (notice NEITHER of them is reported as 23pt on 13.0.1.1).

I open the just re-saved PSD back in Photoshop 13.0.4 on Mac, boom, they're back to 23pt, both of them.

It's. Complete. Nonsense.

I know you introduced Retina support with the 13.0.2+ versions and this hasn't happened on Windows, so that may be a possible source of the bug, but god knows.

Let me know where I can supply a test file for you.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013
Okay, I can finally post this:

We have made many fixes to the behavior of transformed text and they are now available in the latest release, Photoshop 14.1, which you can download RIGHT NOW. I will acknowledge, there are still a few lingering issues to resolve, but for most users, these fixes should handle their problems. We felt it was better to get a partial fix out now than a perfect fix in the future. We are still planning additional improvements for a coming release.

If you are still ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
24 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2013 Jan 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where I said "over twice bigger" I meant "almost twice bigger" ( 12 * 1.91666... = 23) pardon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2013 Jan 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, you guys have abandoned this feedback site, haven't you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2013 Jan 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. The main text guy on team that helps with text topics is out on vacation.

Could you post your affected sample files on Dropbox so I can pass off to the team?

Just to confirm, the file in question was created in CS5? (Mac or Win?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2013 Jan 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file in question was created in CS5 Mac, by someone else so I don't have further details (I could dig them up if they're relevant). The fact its origin is CS5 might be a wrong clue, so I'd suggest you inspect it as some issue which CS6 has on its own first.

The file I've uploaded is a simplified file I made in CS6, and I dragged one of the problematic text fields into a new empty document.

Once a text field has this problem it remains "infected" with it even when dragged to another document.

----

Here's an important detail:

*While* I'm editing the text field, select text inside etc. text size is reported 23pt, but *once* I hit "Commit" (or numpad Enter) to commit the change, I see the textbox changes to the *actual* pt size of the text field.

Then I click with the text tool to edit again, it's 23pt again.

This will help you.

Here's the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qnw35erfq0...

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is absolutly insane i had this problem, i tried to contact support in chat but all operator said that was not skilled to help me on that. The main problem seems to be that if you done a psd using a previous version of photohop , the software does not recalculate the correct font size when scaling a textarea using the transform command. I'm running the latest version on mac. If you need some files to test i've same problem in many many files

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

figure that i found that bug because i was like fighting with one of my frontend developer, sayng "why u put this text so small, in the psd was bigger" and him was sayng "no i exaclty used the font size taking it from your psd" ahahah, btw i rolled back in photoshop cs 5.5 in these days, the only way to solve the problem when u encounter it in a text area is to copy paste text in a new text area made directly in ps6, in that way the text is rendered @ correct size. instead of what are you sayng @stan V. i didnt see any changes in the font size also committing....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you reopen the file in cs 5.5 u get all correct sizes

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is my previous thread http://www.facebook.com/Photoshop?v=a... . A little question , why u not allow people to share images when submitting a bug? and why is so difficult to find a bug reporting area in your main website?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just use the picture icon when submitting your post. There's nothing stopping you from sharing images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry i was posting from facebook i didnt see that it was just an app of a support website

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2013 Jan 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here the image showing the bug in a document

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2013 Jan 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just become aware of a photoshop text size bug. I noticed some other people had posted about this but it was 8 months ago, so thought I'd create a new topic so staff are aware this is still happening.

I'm running:
Photoshop CS6 13.1.2 x64 on 2012 Macbook 15" Retina

Steps to recreate:

01. Select text tool, write a sentence
02. Choose a font size
03. Free transform the text and make it smaller
04. Select it in the layers panel, see the size displayed
05. Highlight the text itself, see the incorrect size displayed

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no need to create another topic. We are already aware of the issues that have been posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted a file to reproduce the bug below in the thread, please confirm you've seen it. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey, is it possible to roll back to the previous version until the main text guy comes back from vacation or your team figures it out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 08, 2013 Mar 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Stan,

Yes, Jeff is right, I was out for two months. I'm back now and trying to catch up with all the type issues.

We know there is a serious bug with transformed type layers and we're working on a solution. Unfortunately, as an employee of a publicly-traded company, I'm not at liberty to comment on when that fix will be released. But we are very aware of the issue. The transform bug was introduced in CS6 as part of another feature. If you use CS5, this issue will not occur.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is any update on this bug? More than 6 months has gone and the problem it's still happening and when you work in poster with many text it's realy anoying, we have to use the previous photoshop version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is any update on this bug? More than 6 months has gone and the problem it's still happening and when you work in poster with many text it's realy anoying, we have to use the previous photoshop version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition, while we cannot generally comment on products in development, we are allowed to say that the bug you describe should be fixed in an upcoming version.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2013 Jun 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, Chris Cox, whoever.

I reviewed the Photoshop update you guys released in the last 48 hours (13.0.5 on Mac).

It claims to correct the text bug like the one I reported and similar.

But, there are still issues which I could argue are worse now. I reported the issue with a reproduce file of one of the sub-issues here:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2013 Jun 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can give reproduce files and so on, let me know, but this I want to speak if possible directly to someone because otherwise we'll never get this fixed. I'll test beta builds I'll ensure logic is right, whatever.

Let's get this done with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I can finally post this:

We have made many fixes to the behavior of transformed text and they are now available in the latest release, Photoshop 14.1, which you can download RIGHT NOW. I will acknowledge, there are still a few lingering issues to resolve, but for most users, these fixes should handle their problems. We felt it was better to get a partial fix out now than a perfect fix in the future. We are still planning additional improvements for a coming release.

If you are still struggling with problems, by all means let us know so we can make sure we address them.

Thanks and enjoy!
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2013 Sep 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
We have been working on a solution to these bugs for CS6 as well a for CC. While the transformed type fix for the Creative Cloud is already released, that for CS6 is still being refined.

If you are interested, I would invite you to join a special prerelease program to validate these bugs really are resolved. All you have to do is respond to this message. I will then submit your name and email address to the program. You will need to sign a non-disclosure agreement, since this software is not available to the general public. Then, you can download and tryout the fix for yourself. If we've missed something, your voice can help us catch it and repair it.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate