P: Introducing scale the UI 200% for high-density displays for Windows

11 Votes
LEGEND ,
May 02, 2014 May 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photoshop team welcomes your feedback on this experimental feature. Let us know what you think!

Photoshop user interface controls may appear small and hard-to-read on high-density displays. Also, on touch-enabled screens, you may have trouble clicking the smaller controls. 200% scaling solves this issue by doubling the size of the user interface.

Since the user interface elements increase in size by 200%, depending on the size and resolution of your display, you may need to adjust the layout of existing workspaces. For example, on a 1080 px screen at 200%, the Tools panel extends off the bottom of the screen. You can change to double-column orientation in order to fit the panel on the screen.

Note: This feature is only for Windows users. HiDPI on Mac has been available for high-density Retina displays since Photoshop CS6.

Caveats

You may encounter some cosmetic issues while using this feature. While many Photoshop dialogs have been reworked so that they fit on the screen at 1080 px, viewing some dialogs (such as Smart Sharpen) completely may require you to collapse sections.

Disable 200% UI scaling

If you need to return to the default 100% scaling, do the following:

1. Select Preferences > Experimental Features.
2. Deselect Scale UI 200% For High-Density Displays (Windows Only).
3. Restart Photoshop.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 339 Replies 339
339 Comments
LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2014 Sep 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same issue! Little band aid for a big gash!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2014 Sep 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have a mac laptop with windows 8.1 OS it.. i have downloaded adobe Photoshop cc 2014 on the windows OS.. the problem is that when i open Photoshop cc the size of the whole application is small really small!! and i really need a solution 0_inline-63b29c30-05c0-4a0b-b6cf-07b230f8b334-362259003.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 29, 2014 Sep 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
This feature works good for me on my surface pro 3, now I hope they can fix the size of the anchor points real quick in Photoshop its mine most used tool. now I still cannot work on it.

Hope this will be solved soon so I can fully use my surface pro 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2014 Sep 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so I changed to 200% and now my desktop of my pc is too small! I did not change screen resolution only experimental features in Photoshop. How is that possible??

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This 200% scaling option is a pretty crude workaround, but it works at least. Sort of. I just dropped $2000 on a new work machine with a HiDPI display, and expected Photoshop to work on it (despite what I've read about Windows 8.1's kludgy handling of scaling.) I mean, Adobe made their name in graphics. It's not like they couldn't see this coming.

Anyway, the 200% scaling option has Photoshop usable on my main screen but utterly unusable on my secondary monitor, which is much larger but of a lower resolution, and as such all the UI elements are childishly gigantic. And I'm sure I'm not the only person out there with a similar setup. Is there any way to apply the 200% scaling to only one monitor?

If Adobe doesn't get this sorted, and soon, I'm going to drop using their product suite entirely and switch over to open source. This is an unacceptable state of affairs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, we have been working with Microsoft for quite some time to fix the OS bugs around UI scaling, and to find workarounds for the OS bugs that could not be solved in time. We are continuing to work with Microsoft to make the UI scaling more flexible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2014 Oct 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

200% is too much even at 3840 x 2160, i.e. full 4K. I suggest that options of 125%, 150% 175% and 200% be available for the user to select...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 16, 2014 Oct 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow, that's great... I typed my comments here before I signed in. Upon clicking the "reply" button, my reply was held while I was given the opportunity to sign in. But when I signed in, since it had been a long time, the site sent a confirmation code to my email address. I went and got that, which only took a few seconds, came back and entered the code. It then successfully logged me in but did not submit my comments, and it lost my text entry. Also my comments were no longer in my system clipboard because I used it to cut and paste the confirmation code. Something in that system of letting the user log in during a suspended reply process is broken and needs some loving attention.

What I was going to say is that I fully agree with Thomas Carter above (from 9 days ago) -- 175% would be just great on my 3840x2160 Dell Ultrasharp UP2414Q display. 200% is pretty close though, and I'll take it for now.

It would also be a good idea to go ahead and move the 200% scale option to the Interfaces preference. No one is looking for it under Experimental until after they tear their hair out for an hour or more of filtering through forums full of UI complaints.

Thank you, Chris and other Photoshop engineers, for listening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed that the 200% does not apply to the Camera Raw filter. Not a complete deal breaker but that does really bring some hardship... As long as someone's working on it I can get by.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, ACR and some other teams are still catching up on the Windows UI scaling work started in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elements 13 includes UI scaling on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the photoshop CS6 extended on surface pro 3 and found "experimental features" menu missing. I need that menu to scale up the UI. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's because those features were not added until CC 2014, which is two major versions beyond CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2014 Nov 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still ABSURD. Is everyone missing the elephant in the room here? Adobe has completely IGNORED software standards.

Every program "should be" inheriting my system settings. That means when Surface is set to 175% font sizes and my desktop is set to 200% that Adobe programs should inherit this.

Simple as that. This should not be an "experimental" feature.

This has been on the Adobe feature request for 5 years, FIX THE FONT SIZES. The menus in every program and especially the absurd 7pt spell check font in inDesign.

How does this topic make me feel? Like a fool who has been "investing" in Adobe since Flash was owned by Macromedia...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2014 Nov 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just awesome on my 3200x1800 13.3in notebook ... can't wait for this option in the rest of Creative Suite (mainly After Effects, Premiere, Media Encoder and Dreamweaver)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2014 Nov 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I download this? I'm running CS6 standalone; not CC. Does that matter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric,

The feature update is not available to the perpetual Ps CS6 version, sorry.

You can read more about support for 200% scaling on Windows in this post too:
http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/201...

regards,
steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric,

The feature update is not available to the perpetual Ps CS6 version, sorry.

You can read more about support for 200% scaling on Windows in this post too:
http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/201...

regards,
steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2014 Nov 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, 150% would be better for 27" 2560x1440. Some work areas/dialog boxes exceed screen size and cannot be re-sized. 'Save for Web' is one of them. Would like Bridge to allow larger fonts as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2014 Nov 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BridgeScreenShot_inline-7bd8949e-f507-40f8-9a21-92f613aba117-1785370014.JPG

CameraRawscreenshot_inline-4a318184-c39d-4877-affc-6bfa6a05dea9-1053564238.JPG

CCscreenshot_inline-8d6abc60-eb35-426d-8e3b-2d6c74e46380-535596595.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2014 Nov 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought the high end surface pro 3 and loved the high res display so that I could have a decent workspace. The issue is that 100% is too small but 200% is too big. There should be variants of scale factor to allow for people with different screens, sizes, resolutions, etc. to get the most out of this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2014 Nov 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see the previous replies in this topic. We are still working with Microsoft to solve more general UI scaling issues in Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2014 Nov 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope you guys find a way to give us a 125-150% option, even at 4k I feel like 200% is just too large.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2014 Dec 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would have been nice to know Adobe can't handle hidpi BEFORE I bought my new laptop! Really unbelievable that a company the sells software that manages photos and videos can't handle screen resolutions. Stunned and disappointed. I'm still on V11, but why would I update to 2014 when it's so totally broken?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2014 Dec 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The topic says that Photoshop does handle high dpi displays via 200% UI scaling, and that was added in Photoshop CC 2014.

Votes

Translate

Translate