• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Layer Comps is not remembering position or appearance despite having those switches turned on.

LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop layer comps is not remembering position or appearance despite having those switches turned on. This is happening across several files.

Adobe Photoshop Version: 2017.0.1 20161130.r.29 2016/11/30:23:00:00 CL 1099099  x64

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
11 Comments
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you updating the comps as you move things around or change vis?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure am. I've been using layer comps ever since they came out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure what the problem could be then... i frequently use layer comps and haven't noticed any issues at all. Maybe it has something to do with redraw/cache? If you zoom in/out or move things around does the layer comp eventually catch up? There was a thread not too long ago where someone was having issues with layer visibility not working in certain situations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting a strange bug, may be related. I have 14 Layer comps using visibility only. I updated one (intending to do all eventually) to use position as well. Without having done anything else (no moving ANYTHING), a few of the layers in some of the other comps have jumped around

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is caused specifically by using "Transform" (Command T) to move any objects from one position to another. You can move by the arrow keys. You can move by clicking and dragging but you CAN NOT use "Transform" to move anything in layer comps for positioning purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow, nice catch. That's an enormous bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Now it's time to re-post the resolution in the 700 other forums I've seen this issue reported. If I can save even just one other person from the headache this was for me then my suffering was worth it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI this bug is still not fixed in adobe PSD 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yikes! I just tested and you're totally right. Unreal.
I'll make sure this bug gets noticed again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not so much a bug as a long-time limitation.

Layer Comps comes from the 1990's state-based model in ImageReady for creating rollovers and animated GIFs.

Transforms couldn't be animated between states (e.g. making an elements animate from small to large) because the state prior to transform couldn't be preserved - and the states between two transforms couldn't be generated "tweened" - so it wasn't recorded as a state change in the model.

We could consider a modernization/new feature effort - to record states of newer things we can preserve and potentially tween/interpolate their state (e.g. Smart Objects and Smart Filters post-date the model)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having these exact same issues in photoshop 2024, especially when i'm working on moving images within a masked area. Could this be related to the size of the overall document? Or number layer comps in the file? The latest file i've had this issue with has 64 layer comps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate