• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: LrC (11.0.1) Edit in PS2022 fails because Photoshop could not be launched - Error Message

Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating my subscription to Adobe for Photographers (Photoshop & Lightroom) I am having an issue when launching Photoshop 2022 from Lightroom v11.

If I right click on the image I'm working on in Lightroom and select 'Edit in Photoshop 2022' I am asked whether or not I want to edit a copy or the original (as I would expect). 

If I select "Edit Original" everything works to plan, the image opens in Potoshop and I can proceed.

However:

If I select either "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments" or "Edit a Copy" I have an issue.
I can see the copy being created on the Film Strip at the bottom of the Lightroom screen, Photoshop starts up and stops at the launch screen but the image fails to open in photoshop.

If I wait for 2 or 3 minutes I recieve an error message in Lightroom: "The file could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop 2022 could not be launched"

If I then select 'OK' in the error message the image immediately opens in Photoshop and I can work away.

This morning an followup update to Photoshop 2022 (to Ver: 23.0.1) was installed and it made no difference.
This afternoon Camera Raw also had a followup update to Version 14.0.1 and it has made no difference.
The problem is still there.

Is this a bug or is there a some way I can fix the problem.

I'm using a Windows PC - Running Win 10 and it has 24gb of RAM

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Based upon customer reports, most issues have been reported fixed by either the remediation steps and/or the installation of Photoshop 23.1, released Monday, December 13, 2021. 

Thank you for your patience. 

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Greetings all,

Update: Please install Photoshop 23.1, released on 12/13/2021 and let us know if we are still seeing the issue after updating Photoshop. 

Workaround:

To all those who may be experiencing this issue. Our investigations have found that, in some cases, GPU detection is causing this issue. 

A similar issue was resolved in this thread by following these instructions:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/p-text-changes-do-not-update-windows/m-p/12519892#M598048

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 297 Replies 297
297 Comments
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with a Mac Mini M1, the Edit in Photoshop menu is greyout if I open LR CC with PS closed, it appears enable if I open LR CC with PS opened but when I click in the Edit in Photoshop nothing happens and it becomes greyout once again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue for me was the RAW images are stored in a Network Drive and it wasn't mounted, LR CC couldn't find the original files to open in Photoshop after fixing this issue everything works just fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC (11.1) still fails to open PS 2022

After trying all of the suggested steps (hopefully correctly), I still cannot get the LrC 11.1 "Edit In" function to correctly open PS 2022. Sometimes I get the edit original or copy options, etc., but then it stalls and goes no further, or gives me an error message that PS cannot be opened.

Considering how much we are paying for our subscriptions, it is only reasonable that users would expect this to work.

Losing access to PS is a real showstopper for those of us who start in LrC and then go to PS from there if needed, then seating back to LrC.

• Please accelerate any plans to do a new LrC version to fix this "showstopping" bug once and for all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix was released in 23.1 - Please review the Correct Answers at the top of this post - thanks!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect you did not carefully read my comment...

Yes, I did the updates to PS 23.1.1 and LrC 11.1. and all of my updates read "up to date."

I am still experiencing the same problem, working from LrC, I cannot "edit in" PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did the updates to PS 23.1.1 and LrC 11.1. and all of my updates read "up to date."

I am still experiencing the same problem, working from LrC, I cannot "edit in" PS.

Did you do an uninstall of both products, then an install in the ideal (correct) order: PS first, then LR?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your prompt reply...

No, I had not tried "uninstalls" first. Not being an expert at all this, I was very concerned that if I uninstalled LrC, it might disturb the relationship with my catalog, which of course could be catastrophic.

• Could you please comment on my concerns regarding an LrC "uninstall."

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I had not tried "uninstalls" first. Not being an expert at all this, I was very concerned that if I uninstalled LrC, it might disturb the relationship with my catalog, which of course could be catastrophic.

You will be fine, when asked if you wish to keep the preferences, select Yes. The catalog and other associated documents (photo's, presets etc) will not be affected.

Of course, you are hopefully backing up all this data before and after such a move. But the uninstall/reinstall using the CC app should be just fine and the order seems to be important in fixing this issue.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've reread your post and do not see any mention of Photoshop 23.1 specifically. 

As @TheDigitalDog recommends, clean reinstalls are likely needed as well as a Preference File reset on Photoshop. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, Your suggestions worked, thank you so much!

– I uninstalled and then reinstalled PS and then LrC, "keeping" my preferences in both cases, and you were right, this did not disturb my LrC catalog which I backup each time I exit LrC.

– Among the issues that puzzled me is that I had completed the PS and LrC updates back in December and everything had worked fine until yesterday when I opened an image in LrC, then went to PS from there, and then decided to experiment with the "neutral filters" to try the "colorization" option. I got fairly pleasing results, came out, but then when I went back into LrC a few minutes later, I could no longer activate the "edit in" function. I am providing this information in the event this example workflow somehow created an anomaly somewhere in background.

Regardless, it all works correctly now.

I apologize if I sounded a bit grumpy, but as an aging Veteran living on a fixed income, I can barely afford the "subscription" and I was truly exasperated when I could not figure out why things were not working correctly.

Thanks again for all you do...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am now forced to buy a new computer. The graphics card has now become incompatible with AMD graphics card software which now forces me to buy a new computer. Perhaps, Adobe's code writers has now forced this issue to make me do this now rather than being impaired any longer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update didnt help, and uninstalling and reinstalling didnt help.  the only way i can get it to open (latest update photoshop from lightroom CC) is to restart my computer, then go into lightroom, right click, and PS will open... once.   If I close out PS to go back to Lightroom, and try to edit a second photo, or even the same photo for a second time, then i get the message that file can't be opened because photoshop 2022 can't be launched.  There has to be a fix to this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I was editing in Photoshop, from a LRC photo, somehow my "connection" between the two was severed so I closed everything and reopened the two applications.  Now I get this when I try to edit a raw photo in Photoshop from Lightroom Classic (which was updated about a week ago).

Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 1.50.51 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely your original photos are offline. If you have smart previews then you won't see the 'missing photo' exclamation point, but to edit a photo in Photoshop or in a plugin you need the original.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently, PS notified me that graphics card was not supported but LR to PS was OK

Upgraded graphics card, 8GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070

Also added Capture 1 to process new Fugifilm images

Now LRc to PS is not happening, error message is "Adobe PS 2022 has failed to Launch".

I have optimized preferences, deleted and reinstalled LRc and PS.

Not sure what next to do??

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photos from LRclassic (12.3) do not open when opening Photo> Edit in> Photoshop 2023.   The Photoshop home screen opens, but the file does not appear.  I have researched this, and it is a problem for others, but I cannot resolve it.   Please help, and Adobe, please resolve this in another update.   Thanks.  Larry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2023 Apr 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem but jpg will open only dng files will not.

The above suggestion does not fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2023 Jun 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same problem. On our Macs comand+E will not open the selected image in Photoshop. This problem is new, it started after upgrading Photoshop to the latest version, i.e. v 24.5.0. This is a vital action. Can anyone help. Does Adobe know of this problem> thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2023 Jul 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with mac OS 13.4.1 and lightroom classic 12.4 and photoshop 2023 24.7.0 Just in the last 2 days July 30 2023 photoshop opens but does not open the lightroom file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2023 Jul 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem as MaryScala above on my MAC studio desktop computer. I can still open other files from Lightroom though and edit in them in Photoshop 2023.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on 2 MACs (iMAC 2017, M1 MACBook) since I updated to the latest PS version.
LR classic 12.4, Photoshop 24.7.0.
The PS beta was also affected. I have uninstalled this, but the error is still present.
When I open the photo from LR in PS as a smart object it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always use the 'Edit Layers in Photoshop' feature and it is not working. When I click on it, it opens up PS but does not load the layers. This is crucial as I am a Real Estate photographer and I hand blend my images in PS. I have tried installing the previous versions of both LRC and PS, but no luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As suugested by another user, I uninstalled PS Beta and it solved the problem. Currently running the up to date versions of LRC and PS with PS Beta uninstalled and it's working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling an older version. I've tried closing and reopening. I'm completely at a loss because nothing is working. And it's weird because I didn't update anything, and it was working one day and then it wasn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I could finally get this to work is to completely uninstall PS Beta. Once I uninstalled, the problem went away.

Votes

Translate

Translate