• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: LrC (11.0.1) Edit in PS2022 fails because Photoshop could not be launched - Error Message

Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating my subscription to Adobe for Photographers (Photoshop & Lightroom) I am having an issue when launching Photoshop 2022 from Lightroom v11.

If I right click on the image I'm working on in Lightroom and select 'Edit in Photoshop 2022' I am asked whether or not I want to edit a copy or the original (as I would expect). 

If I select "Edit Original" everything works to plan, the image opens in Potoshop and I can proceed.

However:

If I select either "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments" or "Edit a Copy" I have an issue.
I can see the copy being created on the Film Strip at the bottom of the Lightroom screen, Photoshop starts up and stops at the launch screen but the image fails to open in photoshop.

If I wait for 2 or 3 minutes I recieve an error message in Lightroom: "The file could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop 2022 could not be launched"

If I then select 'OK' in the error message the image immediately opens in Photoshop and I can work away.

This morning an followup update to Photoshop 2022 (to Ver: 23.0.1) was installed and it made no difference.
This afternoon Camera Raw also had a followup update to Version 14.0.1 and it has made no difference.
The problem is still there.

Is this a bug or is there a some way I can fix the problem.

I'm using a Windows PC - Running Win 10 and it has 24gb of RAM

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Based upon customer reports, most issues have been reported fixed by either the remediation steps and/or the installation of Photoshop 23.1, released Monday, December 13, 2021. 

Thank you for your patience. 

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Greetings all,

Update: Please install Photoshop 23.1, released on 12/13/2021 and let us know if we are still seeing the issue after updating Photoshop. 

Workaround:

To all those who may be experiencing this issue. Our investigations have found that, in some cases, GPU detection is causing this issue. 

A similar issue was resolved in this thread by following these instructions:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/p-text-changes-do-not-update-windows/m-p/12519892#M598048

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 297 Replies 297
297 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cannot launch phtoshop from light room. it says in dailog box that the file cannot be edited beacuse adobe photshop 2022 cannot be launched. Please help.

VP

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just FYI, I just updated the both phtoshop and lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem in Lightroom Classic (Windows 10). The problem occurred after upgrade of both LR and PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most common fix for this issue when using Windows is to uninstall then reinstall Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and sorry for my english language.

when I want to modify a file of the lightroom catalog in photoshop (modify in) the message "the file cannot be modified because photoshop 2022 cannot be started" comes out. can someone help me? thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted below to another similar thread a few munites back. Can you give it a try

>The most common fix for this issue when using Windows is to uninstall then reinstall Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get Outlook for iOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks anyway. but i have already uninstalled everything with creative cloud cleaner and i even cleaned the registry with regedit (it took me an hour and a half) then i reinstalled but nothing changed

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already did that but problem remains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already did that but problem remains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalled and reinstalled PS. Problem remains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Outside of Lightroom Classic, can you start Photoshop all by itself. When you do, let it start up, then actually edit a photo, you do not have to save, just accomplish some edits as to make sure OS has completely started and is working. 

Also, while in PS, check and make sure it lists Camera RAW 14. Then you can close PS

Next, bring up LrC, bring up the preferences, in the external editor tab, make sure the correct PS is listed. If Ok, try an edit in PS again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Outside of Lightroom Classic, can you start Photoshop all by itself. When you do, let it start up, then actually edit a photo, you do not have to save, just accomplish some edits as to make sure OS has completely started and is working. 

Also, while in PS, check and make sure it lists Camera RAW 14. Then you can close PS

Next, bring up LrC, bring up the preferences, in the external editor tab, make sure the correct PS is listed. If Ok, try an edit in PS again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it your suggestions and now when I edit in the LR to go to photoshop it takes a while and then it says in dilog box “ the file could not be edited because Adobe photoshop 2022 could be launched and when I click ok then edited photo in lightroom gets transferred in to PS.
VP

Get Outlook for iOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been enjoying the new features in the latest versions of Lightroom Classic and Photoshop, but I am having a frustrating problem with moving the lightroom images to Photoshop. Ther4 is along pause after I select “Edit in Adobe Photoshop 2022” which is then followed by error messages, either “The file could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop 2022 could not be launched” (this with Photoshop already opened) or “Light was unable to prepare the selected file at …… dng for editing it will not be opened”. After another wait, the file shows up in Lightroom as an “Edit.psd” file and then that file opens in Photoshop.
The whole process is very annoying. I have tried removing and reinstalling the programs without any effect.
Has anyone else suffered this problem?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much.
I am running a PC with Windows 10pro, i7 CPU 12 GB RAM, 64Bit operating system.  The problem persists despite increasing RAM to my Max of 24GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry for the trouble. Since when are you experiencing this issue? Are you using an admin user account or non-admin user account? Could you please let us know if the folder name has a comma (,) which you're trying to open?

Could you please create a new admin user account and try to launch Photoshop when booting into the new user account, does it launch normally?
You may check this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-troubleshooting.html#permissions

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Tarun

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you attemting to edit in Photoshop as a TIFF?

Does tonughts update (fix) v 23.0.1 help?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-23-0-1-is-now-available/td-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-23-0-1-is-now-available/td-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.  The update to 23.0.1 has not made a difference to this problem. I am able to use 'edit in Photoshop' for TIFF or PSD files but not for raw files -RAF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure that RAF is a problem in itself. I'm exclusively RAF and the files do open. Generally once Photoshop is open, files open no problem. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling both? Install Lightroom first. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have reinstalled both programs several times. If I click on 'edit in photoshop'  on a raw file (RAF or DNG) Photoshop opens but does not display the file. After a couple of minutes I may get an error dialogue in Lightroom to say that Photoshop 2022 could not be launched, even though it might already be open. At other times nothing happens in Lightroom. I work round this by exporting the adjusted RAF to PSD using a pre-set that adds the PSD to the Lightroom catalogue and opens the exported file in Photoshop. That works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LrC, in/preferences/exteral editing/ what is edit in Photoshop set to? what type of file format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit in Photoshop 2022. file format PSD. Color space prophoto RGB. Bit depth 16 bits. Resolution 300.

Votes

Translate

Translate