• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Mixer brush lag at different zoom levels

Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice an issue using the mixer brush with sample all layers on, the performance is worse at certain zoom levels and at times it would appear to gradually decrease for every stroke until reset by changing the zoom level.

I think this only happens on some zoom levels for example in my current res document the worst performance is at 50% or less

here's what I do say at a zoom level of 50% : 

- select a brush preset from the the tool presets, 
-sample a part of the image and do a series of strokes of about the same length, 

when I zoom in to say 66% there is a noticeable performance increase in doing the same strokes. they finish faster and its more fluid. 
also it seems if I'm at 50% (slow) if I zoom out and zoom back in, the first few strokes appear to be a bit faster and then it gradually slows down. 

this is affecting my workflow as I find myself having to zoom to reset the performance of the tool otherwise it grinds down to a crawl. 
I'm on windows, latest PS 

my brush settings are: autoload and autoclean off, some wetness (30%), 100% load, 0%mix 100% flow. I have a noise layer set to overlay on top of the stack which the mixer brush samples with sample all layers on. 

is this expected behaviour? can anyone reproduce? and any settings I can look at to minimize the impact? 

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018
QE was able to reproduce a slowdown at different zoom levels. Engineering is investigating. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
12 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Windows are you on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

windows 10 pro 64bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're using a sample all mixer with a grain layer? Doesn't that make a huge mess of things when brushing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, this could be related to Bug ID - PS-11132. The Mixer has all sorts of issues with zoom levels, brush size and panel visibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Part of the issue you could be that you're using a smaller brush when zoomed in? The mixer has major slow-downs with large brushes and sample all active.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

QE was able to reproduce a slowdown at different zoom levels. Engineering is investigating. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fantastic thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

from what I can see photoshop seems to adapt your brush size to different zoom levels so you have a constant width regardless of how much you zoom in/out, in theory the amount of pixels its operating on it shouldn't be changing much? 

as for your previous question, I usually have it on very low opacity so its not too heavy, I like it because it adds nice little streaks to your brushstroke and makes the stroke standout even if you are sampling the same color as the background which would otherwise vanish (something that traditionally wouldn't happen because of the paint thickness, bristle bumps etc).
if instead of noise you use a canvas texture or whatnot you can have a bit of that showing as well which enhances the traditional feel of the painting etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"photoshop adapts your brush size to different zoom levels "

This isn't true. Perhaps you're thinking of Lightroom? 

With PS, a 500px brush will always be 500px, not matter how far in you're zoomed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's right sorry it was a weird way of expressing it, but I think we are saying the same thing. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Let me look. I'll make a note in the bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
any update on the progress of this?

Votes

Translate

Translate