• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Modifying/deleting Previous or Next Brush Keyboard Shortcut doesn't work correctly

Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's quite old bug. Ps version is 23.5.1 in video. Window10

You can see my keyboard shortcut is empty which Previous or Next Brush.

Then it shouldn't work. No matter how many times I press <(,) and >().

But, interesting point is... It still works. 

So the solution I found is to delete all the brush presets.
If i remove all the presets, you can see that no matter how much I press the keyboard, it doesn't work the way I want it to.

The reason why this is important is that left-handed users like me use the keys on the right a lot. (Assign shortcuts)
However, if you don't delete the preset as I showed you, the brush will change as you want. So I had to delete all the presets for years, and I never made brush presets.

It's a funny bug, right? Rollback is not effective. From my memory, this is also a 5-6-year-old bug.
Of course, it is less serious than other serious problems on the bug tab, so I don't know if this will be fixed. But it's proof that there's a bug that you have to erase the shortcut that doesn't work as intended, and even the default preset to solve it, so I've been working uncomfortably for years and reporting it like this.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

I've asked engineering to take a look.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
17 Comments
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And just in case, i'll tell you. I've already done resetting tools, resetting preferences, and reinstalling Photoshop for many year!
And it's not just my problem because it's reproducible on all Windows 10 computers as well as my computer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

let's make sure what i'm talking about this.
When I put up the thread, I thought someone could see it and write an answer like this.
"Then force another keyboard shortcut to preemptive and next brush so that the key does not work."

Actually, i already did it!. And even if you specify another shortcut, pressing <(,) or >(.) will work like a bug.
That's why I wrote the thread!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very funny bug. Based on the author's video, the bug could be reproduced by copying the movement as it is.
The < and > keys are assigned by default in Photoshop, and if there is a preset, it seems to be a bug that works even if you disable the key. I will test later to see if that bug can be reproduced on Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I was able to replicate, on a PC, even the [and ]  keys cannot be disabled in preferences. A restart does not change anything.

I was able to intervert [and ] with , and . so maybe you need to attribute another funtion to these keystrokes to "unlink" them from the next/previous brush.

Another related bug:

I was also able to use ` (accent grave, the alternate to Tilde) that is used to switch to the eraser tool with same settings, it was accepted, but ineffective as aKBSC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PECourtejoie 

As I added above, I have already tried to assign different keys to previable and next brush for unlink.
And I posted a bug report because it didn't work.
And if you erase all the default presets of the brush, it will be disabled even if you press the key as expected, so it's called a bug.
Because I left the key blank in the first place, even if there is a preset for the brush, it should not work even if I press the key.  don't think Adobe will be interested in this. It's a very minor bug (That's why this bug has been going on for nearly five years, right?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, the trick, for me, was to assign other functions to , and . in addition to previous and next brushes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jqqerry  Does MAC os reproduce such symptoms? I don't know because I'm a Windows user.
@PECourtejoie  Thank you for your suggestion. And your temporary measures didn't work for me. At least it worked for me to erase the preset.
But it's also a temporary measure (like the result of me erasing all the brush preset include default.)
Obviously this is a bug (because it doesn't work as expected), but it doesn't create a serious problem with Photoshop's experience, so I expect my thread to just disappear without interest. Haha..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope that others will chime in and vote...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very old bug. If I remember correctly, I also experienced it in Photoshop 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bug or not, the issue is present all the way back to photoshop cs (photoshop version 8 the first version with changeable keyboard shortcuts) running OS X 10.4.11 Tiger on a 2001 Power Mac G4 Quicksilver .

Even Summarize  Keyboard Shortcuts says no keys are assigned, yet everything still works as though no keys had been deleted.

Picture-6a.png

Picture-4a.pngPicture-5a.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, did you try assigning other shortcuts to the brush changes, or to the quare brackets?

I hope that it will not be as designed. otherwise, those entries should be removed, until the KBSC editor is upgraded to be like the one in the video apps, giving you a keyboard view, a search bar, and the possibility to assign shortcuts to way more functions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug? The symptoms look older than I thought. And as I expected, I'm sad that Adobe developers didn't respond to this minor bug. =(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes if i assign new keys to the Brush related shortcuts and then in turn assign the Default Brush related shortcuts to other functions, then the shortcuts such as resize brush only work with the key assigned like A and B as shown in the below screenshot. This is with photoshop 23.5.1 running on an M1 Mac Studio.

bsk.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing this bug, too. My current Photoshop version is 23.5.1
It works like a bug even if the key is not specified, and it works again if press the original key even if specify another key.
As a result, it continues to produce results that users do not want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

remember to vote on top if you haven't done so already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've asked engineering to take a look.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate