• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Mouse cursor glitching over layers panel

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, I'm using a MacBook Pro OS 10.12 6 with Photoshop cc 2018. When I'm using Layers in Standard Screen Mode the mouse cursor glitches/flickers between arrow and hand and struggles VERY SLOWLY across the pallet. When in the Full Screen Modes it doesn't seem to happen. I need to have several images open in separate windows at the same time to be able to take elements of some images into the others - hence Standard Screen Mode. Very frustrating esp when editing multiple images together with many layers! Any ideas? Many thanks, David

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018
Hey Everyone!

I am happy to announce that this issue should be resolved in the release of Photoshop that just went live, 19.1. Please open your Creative Cloud desktop app, update Photoshop and give us feedback.

Thank you!
Hannah

Adobe Blog: Selections Improvements, Advanced Support for Windows High-Density Monitors and More

What's new: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html
What's fixed: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Instructions for updating: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/update-app.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
24 Comments
LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, it is terrible. Have you found a solution by now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matthias, I haven't found a total solution but I have found a workable way around it. After trying virtually everything else i adjusted the mouse cursor size in system preferences which seems to have
stabilised the glitching! It still flickers a bit but doesn't get stuck over the pallet. Hope it works for you too! David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

thanks for the workaround. Unfortunately that doesn't work in my case, maybe it's because I'm using High Sierra (10.13.1)... I'm afraid that I have to hope for an Photoshop-update 😞

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matthias,

It wasn't happening until I updated to Sierra.
Haven't updated to High Sierra yet in case something else happens!

Several hours spent on the phone to both Adobe and Apple trying to solve this.

With the mouse cursor size workaround this is what worked...
I had a Photoshop image with multiple layers open,
then i opened System Preferences > Accessibility > Display > Cursor Size
and then adjusted the cursor size up and down until at one size the glitch mostly stops to the point where it's quite useable.

I've also noticed that if the layers palette is placed within the on-screen image frame area the glitch stops completely.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not able to reproduce this. Could you post a video of what you're seeing as well as your accessibility settings for cursor size when it's happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem but the problem occurs in both Photoshop 2017 (18.1.1) and 2018 (19.0.0) after the upgrade to High Sierra 10.13.1. The cursor size may help a bit but, because the workaround OS-based, you have to deal with a large cursor in every app.  

I can confirm that working in fullscreen mode on a single monitor eliminates the problem however doing so drastically slows down my workflow (there's a reason I run four displays).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aaron, yes that's all true. It began when I upgraded to Sierra.
I need to run several screens too when editing in Photoshop.
With the cursor size workaround it also seems to work with the cursor at minimum size.
Still not ideal but might be better for you than the large cursor?
Perhaps Adobe and Apple need to confer to sort this problem out.
Very frustrating and slowing down my workflow as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, i also recognized, that it stops, when the layers palette is placed within the image frame area but I'm working on three Screens (Macbook Pro, 27",24"), so that (or working in "Application Frame") is no "solution" for me.

I've had a long chat with Adobe but none of their suggestions fixed the problem. I've also re-installed the 2017 Photoshop CC version and its the same problem there.

Since High Sierra (I skipped Sierra) I've e problem in InDesign too. The Curso is a bit slower and feels some kind of sluggish (I don't know, if thats the right word, I'm a german dumbass :D)

Thats very annoying at all ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found out that the problems disappear if I do not connect an external monitor. Is that the same with you? Which graphics card is installed in your Macbooks? I've got the AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine has the same card.

MacBook Pro  (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
Processor  2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory  16GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics  AMD Radeon R9 M370Z 2GB

I have two additional monitors connected via Thunderbolt and a third using the HDMI output. My workflow is far too complex to use only the Macbook's Retina display. Day to day, I use the laptop display for miscellaneous apps like email or a browser window and about the only time I'm on a single display is during a meeting or giving a presentation where I connect to a remote projector.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good clues. Let me see if I can reproduce on a similar system here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying on a High Sierra system with many floating documents on a dual monitor system. Still can't reproduce, sadly. Would it be possible to get a video of your entire screen to see what you're seeing? Might give us some more clues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have almost the same macbook as Aaron, only my cpu is an i7 2.8Ghz. I‘ve connected a 27 "Eizo monitor on the HDMI port and a 24" Dell monitor on the Thunderbolt port for working. I use Macbook screen only for emails, safari, etc.

I‘ve tried to make a screen-capture with quicktime but you couldn‘t see it realy good on the video. I‘ll try another tool for that.

By the way: Does anyone also have problems with Bluetooth? It often doesn‘t work on my macbook („not available“) and it seems, that this problem only appears, if the additional monitors are connected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Matthias mentioned,  Quicktime Screen Capture doesn't show the flickering cursor (flashing between the hand and arrow). The drag rate over the layer palette is roughly 25% of normal speed UNLESS the file is behind the palette or you're working in full screen mode on a single monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's exactly the same on my macbook. Maybe you can't see the flickering that good, because quicktime does to less fps while capturing but you can see the slowdown on the layer palette. I also got this problems on the swatches- and the history-palette. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. I created a GIF to demonstrate what happens. After clicking on a layer or a paragraph style, then hovering over that panel, the cursor flickers between the hand and the pointer.

I have tried, unsuccessfully:
- turning off hardware acceleration (Photoshop)
- turning off Google Chrome hardware acceleration (it was a stretch, but Chrome has affected Photoshop in the past)
- moving Photoshop to a different screen (main is Apple Cinema, Thunderbolt; other is Dell Thunderbolt)

As noted, Photoshop Full Screen options are fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting - I am able to reproduce (sometimes I have to click in the floating dialog first).
Jesper

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update to High Sierra this morning seems to have corrected my problems.  I'm now running version 10.13.2 and haven't had any issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds great. Unfortunately, there seems to be no update for the German version of High Sierra yet. As soon as 10.13.2 is available, I will install it and report on the result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10.13.2 seems to have fixed it for me, too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Everyone!

I am happy to announce that this issue should be resolved in the release of Photoshop that just went live, 19.1. Please open your Creative Cloud desktop app, update Photoshop and give us feedback.

Thank you!
Hannah

Adobe Blog: Selections Improvements, Advanced Support for Windows High-Density Monitors and More

What's new: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html
What's fixed: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Instructions for updating: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/update-app.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hannah, that glitch seems better with the 2019 update.
But unfortunately, with frustration and dissapointment a new problem.
I'm working with a MacBook pro and an apple thunderbolt 27in display. When in 'full screen mode with menu bar' the image is displayed very small with a large space of black.
When zoomed the image enlarges up behind the black space.
What seems to be happening is that in 'full screen mode with menu bar' it sizes the image for the MacBook screen not the thunderbolt screen.
Not a problem in 'standard mode' or 'full screen mode' without menu bar. I still have the previous version of photoshop and there is no problem there with screen mode displaying of images.
But that version glitches over the panels and does the very annoying snapping of image to centre when working.
Are we going to get past this era of frustration with photoshops glitches and unreliability? Or is it time to look at the alternatives?
After all this is a paid for service and it doesn't work as it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Sorry that you ran into another problem - thanks for the detailed report. You're right that is a new issue in 19.1 and it has been submitted to engineers to investigate.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-19-1-in-fullscreen-mode-canvas-move...

There's the link to that issue on the forum - feel free to paste your comment on that thread and vote for it so that we can track everyone who is effected. I'll see what workarounds are available and get back with you.

Regards,
Hannah 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Mouse cursor started flickering after upgrade to Photoshop CC 2018 19.1. Cursor has a flushing blue circle and keeps jumping when making selecting. And WHAT IS REALLY BAD is that it behaves the same way with ALL other opened applications. The problem disappears as soon as Photoshop closed. Configuration is pretty much the same as posted above and I'm running Windows 10 with all recent updates. The same problem was also reported a few days ago on this forum by user ramy in thread "Photoshop: Mouse flickering after yesterday update". Response from Adobe seems slow and not helpful. I don't think it is acceptable for such well known product as Photoshop. At his point Photoshop CC 2018 19.1 is UNUSABLE

Votes

Translate

Translate