• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: My photoshop keeps freezing up whilst I’m using my Spot healing brush on my iPad Pro

Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My photoshop keeps freezing up whilst I’m using my Spot healing brush on my iPad Pro

I have the latest operating system

I have deleted Photoshop and reinstalled it only to have it still freezing up, I have to shutdown my iPad Pro and restart it and go back into Photoshop and reload the photo I was working on and redo all the work again!

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Updating thread status to Acknowledged

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
17 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @itruck, this issue is known and the team is activly working on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating thread status to Acknowledged

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have an update on when this will be fixed? This seems like a pretty major issue and it's been ongoing for a while now. I can't use the app to edit without it crashing. It's so frustrating and the app is now useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.  

I am saving (touch the file name at top center in the edit window) frequently.  Kind of old-fashioned, but it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is causing major problems with trying to do a simple 4 layer work on 1 layer with the spot healing brush.

I have been using photoshop since day 1 on the iMac in the 80's.

I use to think photoshop was the best program for working on complex jobs!

now it can't even handle the simplest of things with this MAJOR ISSUE with the spot healing brush, 

you have to keep saving/getting out of your work like every 30 seconds so you don't have to repeat when it crashes so constantly!

This was like when you had to save your work manually all the time, just to be safe.

This is a MAJOR ISSUE with photoshop and so frustrating that I am considering working with another program brand, as this is a MAJOR EMBARRASSMENT to ADOBE, and yes they don't seem to be doing anything about it, whilst still charging us our full subscription every month!

Adobe should be giving us a discount on our monthly subscription until the problem is fixed!

that should give them more incentive to put more people onto fixing this most irritating crashing problem, causing like a 30 minute job into a 3 hour job, because of all the crashing and restarting my iPad Pro and repeating the work I have just done.

COME ON ADOBE, FIX THE PROBLEM NOW!

this is on a simple 4 layer job, what would happen if I was working on my big layer jobs, I wouldn't even consider it at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2022 Jun 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been encountering this issue recently in the latest version of Photoshop. When using the healing brush tool to spot out dust/scratches in some ~500mb tiff photographic negative scans eventually the app will 'freeze' and I'm unable to save my work or continue in any way. Closing and opening the app allows me to progress but the issue reoccurs after a short time. 

iPad is an M1 Air running latest iPadOS. App has been uninstalled and reinstalled which didn't fix the issue. I had previously been performing this work successfully and only since the latest release of Photoshop have I encountered this issue... very annoying! Any help appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@alecto25016002bbt2 , that is a large file, by iOS standards, so there would be some caveats. If you are using a brush much over 20 pixels, and or applyin many brush strokes in a fast sequence such that Photoshop starts to fall behind rendering to the screen, then Photoshop is having to stuff the healing brush results into memory until the render queue clears out. If you are not aware of this, then you might mercilessly send the queue into oblivion, which is iOS's way of making sure that memory is not hogged up too much by one app. To avoid this fate, zoom in, use the smallest practical brush size that you can, and if that is still slow, wait for the results and avoid scribbling which could lead the session off the edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Julien24734284tf6h , I hear your frustration. Can you tell me what size file you are working with, and the size of the brush, as well as your technique for healing (lots of fast strokes, or single strokes at a time) that is causing the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mark.Dahm Appreciate your input! Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the issue as I've tried this with files when rezzed down and the problem still occurs. Not to mention I was doing this exact task on the full size files for a couple of months without any issues whatsoever. It seems to have come about with one of the more recent releases of PS on iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@alecto25016002bbt2 , thanks for the reply. We've also discussed this as seemingly worse over time, so there may be something changing on the OS side that we should investigate. Your comment confirms that suspicion; we'll look into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mark.Dham: Thanks for the concrete details and advice.  In my case the file were 100 - 270 mb.  I have been using simple Soft Round and Hard round brushes, usually at sizes under 50 px.

I have enjoyed the speed PS was giving me on the Spot Heal, but I can throttle myself back a little and see if that helps.  

My iPad is a 4th Gen 12.9 Pro / 512 Gb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I believe my iPad is the same as yours 4th generation?
Only 1 year old.
iPad Pro 512gb as well.
Can’t check generation at the moment as I’m loading a XQD memory card photos/videos onto it
Will let you know but I’m pretty sure?

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, as yeah that makes sense, as I do work fast with the pencil like a
paint brush in real life!
It does get the real lag behind at times even when I do slow it down which
scares the hell out of me as it’s a 50 50 chance it will crash or catch up.
K I’ll zoom in and check brush size and go very slow which is going to be
really annoying.
I have slowed right down lately and still get the random lag or crash.
But I will give your solution a go.
Adobe got back to me and acknowledged it is a bug in the system and they
were trying to fix it!
But in the meantime we still pay full subscription every month for the
whole package!
You’d think they would give some sort of compensation until problem with
bug fixed as what use to be a quick job of 30 minutes has turned into a 3
hour job!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@itruck , that kind of slow down from how it used to work sounds like it could have been a big drop off. We're checking with Apple to see if something could have changed over the course of OS updates, because we haven't changed anything on our side, but are seeing more reports of this.

The reason I hopped on here is becuase the bug came to me, and it's going to require a re-design to make it work differently, unless we can find another reason for the slowdown. I'm up for the redesign, but if there is another factor, all the rocks have to be turned over.

I do hate having to ask you to modify your workflow; hopefully we'll turn something up.

Any other factors you can think of that might contribute to the issues, let us know (eg, you use other apps regularly with photoshop, like split screen; length of time in a session when you notice things start to lag; all good leads for us to follow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have photos open at the same time, as to find the photo to work on.
Also Instagram and Facebook as I upload photos to Instagram when finished,
which automatically loads them to Facebook.

The lag can happen anywhere from a couple of minutes when open photo with
only 3 layers, 1 duplicate photo layer and 1 just black layer.
It will randomly happen anywhere from start to within a few minutes if it
doesn’t crash first!
It’s as if it’s deciding to catch up or crash.
I have learnt to only do small strokes at a time and slowly, otherwise it
will just crash.

This is like to just remove power lines in the background as I
photograph/video Australian Road Trains Trucks for my social media.
So I need to get the photos upto Instagram quickly as I can have 80 sets of
photos shots (sets upto 200) off each truck.
I add a 4th layer at the end which is my logo as it saves the time to keep
redoing everything when it crashes.

I save after every little bit of work, like once a minute, I will get out
of the photoshop file then reload as it doesn’t save as you work no more,
as when it crashes, you have to start from scratch if you don’t save
manually.

I would like to work with big files again with lots of layers, but I don’t
have the confidence with these problems.

My quick social media files photoshop with just 4 layers would only take
10-30 minutes then upload to Instagram.
Now I’m looking at 3 hours which is way behind for my work schedule, when
people are waiting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alomst three months later and the problem still persists in my PS...
It doesn't matter if I reset the settings, if I reinstall the app, if I have other app running or not, if it's fast retouching or slow... it is so frustrating - sometimes it freezes after first stroke.
My workflow now? Every few strokes I need to close the photo and save, then reopen and do few more strokes and repeat the saving process which lasts forever.
Adobe is focusing on new features (what is good) but can't take care of such a big issue 😞

iPad Pro 12.9 (2021), iOs 15.5, 512GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Having the exact same problem cleaning dust on a 500mb negative, everything else functions except hovering mouse over workspace/canvas wont change the normal mouse to the brush and clicking doesnt do anything 

Votes

Translate

Translate