Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

P: New Export As gives bad results for PNG (8-bit) Smaller Size

0 Votes
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Export As gives bad results for PNG (8-bit) when reducing the color palette. This is most visible in gradients. Tested on Photoshop v23.0.0 on Windows 10.

Workaround: Enable Legacy Export As in Preferences.

Steps to reproduce problem:

1. Create a new image
  2. Make a gradient using the Blue_24 preset (or similar, but that's the one I used).
  3. File > Export > Export As...
  4. Choose PNG, and "Smaller File (8-bit)"
  5. Result: You get a few lines through the gradient that are too bright or dark. Not good.
  6. Result if using Legacy Export As (or Save for Web): A smooth-looking gradient as expected.

legacy export.pngnew export.png

Full resolution/lossless screenshots attached to this post.

Bug Started
TOPICS
macOS, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021
Thanks. I'll have the engineering team take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate
4 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice you're you're not embedding the color profile in the version where you're getting banding. If you check that, does it look right?

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, forgot to toggle that when taking the screenshot, but no. Embedding the color profile makes no difference; it's just metadata. The color values in the image file does not change, and it doesn't affect the algorithm used to reduce the color palette.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's not clear, I did test with and without the various boxes checked/unchecked, but it makes no difference. New Export As always gets that bad light/dark lines (not what I'd consider normal banding), while legacy export as and save for web always gets a smooth result.

Ps: In Save for Web we have control over what algorithm/settings to use (feature request for Export As!), and I tested a bunch of settings but was unable to get an error of the type seen in the new Export As. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. I'll have the engineering team take a look.

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines