Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: No drawing possible with Brush Tool with a pen when zoomed in

Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I use MS Surface Pro and Surface Studio, both with a Surface Pen and both with Windows 10.

Since some days there is no more Pen-drawing possible with the brush tool on both devices (with each a single pen) in Photoshop CC.
When you zoom in once, the pen works like a hand tool but not like a brush.

The pen still works correct in MS Ink, OneNote and even in Illustrator.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018
Microsoft has a released a patch to correct this problem. Details here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/cannot-paint-with-stylus-when-zoomed-in-windows-10.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018
The latest Windows 10 update 16299.334 introduced this problem.

Complete workaround here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/cannot-paint-with-stylus-when-zoomed-in-windows-10.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
71 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Overscroll Issue: Either the windows update or the wacom update cause overscroll to work improperly. If overscroll is toggled on while trying to use the brush tool, the canvas just gets moved around as if you are using the hand tool. Note: if you press the trigger on the stylus while moving it will begin to draw again but only if youre holding it down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.  My wacom pen and photoshop CC appear to be having major issues.  Whenever I move the pen vertically, it only pans across the canvas and does not write or perform any other action.  I have updated photoshop, reinstalled the drivers for my cintiq, and bought a new pen.  Nothing fixed this.  Please help!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when using a wacom tablet, when i use the spot healing brush in a predominantly vertical direction, rather than apply the spot healing brush PS moves the image vertically (in much the same way it would if i were using the hand tool)

wacom intuos pro (latest drivers installed)
PS version 19.1.3
windows 10

as mentioned in another thread, i still cannot use the alt key and pen to bring up brush size / hardness, a problem that has been going on for 5 months now... are these problems linked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Deniz, as mentioned previously, further back in this 'merged thread'...... You'll need to un-install a recent windows update to get things right again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever zoomed into my canvas, no matter what tool im using it moves the canvas. But when the canvas is fit to the screen it dosent happen. How do i change this so i can zoom in and use the brush tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

It appears Microsoft has rolled out an update to resolve the issue.  🙂

After applying this update, some users may experience unexpected panning or scrolling in certain apps while using the pen.

This issue is resolved in KB4093105.

So to all new people just run  windows update and install above update to resolve issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

It appears Microsoft has rolled out an update to resolve the issue.  🙂

After applying this update, some users may experience unexpected panning or scrolling in certain apps while using the pen.

This issue is resolved in KB4093105.

So to all new people just run  windows update and install above update to resolve issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft has a released a patch to correct this problem. Details here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/cannot-paint-with-stylus-when-zoomed-in-windows-10.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the last update 19.1.3 my pen isn't working. I can not use the burn tool(or most tools) the whole screen just moves up and down. I can not use my pen tool to copy a layer. But if I switch to my mouse I can do it all.
I am running Windows 10 Pro and I use a Wacom pad Intuos 3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed (allegedly). Read Jeffrey's post above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I wanted to report an issue with the earliest Update for Photoshop.

I am unable to use the lasso tool effectively within the program, it will drag my view rather then create the selection lines i need. This occurs with the brush tool as well. It refuses to use the hand too to drag when i need it. Currently the new software update is bugged, it does not occur in illustrator or any  of my other programs and I had to download the older version in order for me to get anything done. I spent 42 dollars thinking that it was my drawing tablet only to be proven wrong and spent money i did not need to spend! This effects my work and my school. I'm very dissatisfied and would enjoy a resolution to the problem for Photoshop. 

Best regards, 

Tina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a notebook with touch screen. When I make selections with the pen and then use the touchscreen with my fingers to zoom and move the view, the pen does not work anymore. Instead of selecting and deselecting it moves the view around. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why does it move  I have the latest version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This nonsense seems to happen every few months with Microsofts' horrendous forced updates not working properly with something on my computer. These updates are becoming the bane of my tech life. If I could turn them off completely I would.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im using Photoshop CC after like a hiatus for a few days and now when I came back to finish an artwork, my tools are acting up on files.

The brush tool doesnt work after i used another tool for example, using a zoom tool to zoom in, i wish to draw only for the pencil tool to drag the image around like a standard unselected stylus action. it seems to everything from new files to all the tools ( brush, zoom, crop, erase, undo action, etc).

It only works for the very first thing I used but after the first tool, everything else fails. for example, using the brush tool has no problems. problems  only arises when i choose a second tool.

i have done everything from updating photoshop, downloading a new driver for my wacom, resetting all tools to deleting everything and restarting. nothing works. Please help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems the infamous sticky key bug from a couple years ago is back for me with Driver 6.3.29-6 on Mac High Sierra 10.13.4 and latest PS build, Latest Intuos Pro.
As Wacom support tends to go, I assume it will be a battle of blame shifting between Apple and Adobe, so figured I'd post here to see if anyone else is having issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since the last windows update, whenever I go to use my wacom intous art with my photoshop it will pan whenever I go to draw with my pen. It is severely hindering my work, and I hope that a fix/update/patch will come soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so this is a frustrating problem.  When I am zoomed in on an image near its edge (any of them) and am using the pen or eraser tool with an initial vertical direction, it instead acts to scroll the image up or down.  This does not occur with an initial horizontal direction to my stroke, but I have not tested it with other tools.  I have tried updated and finding out what the problem is on-line, but I could not find a similar case.  Is there a fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a Microsoft problem and was fixed with the latest patch. Can't give you the KB number for it, but there's a whole bunch of fixes - the very last one refers to where they screwed up the Ink code and effectively stuffed up everyone's pens in Photoshop...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why my question was merged, my bug is on Mac not Windows and is a different bug entirely

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I pick brush to paint, zoom in and start drawing, but the only thing that happens is that the canvas moves around. When I zoom out completely, until I see the margins, only then the pen will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate