• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: No import possible using macOS Ventura and Photoshop

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading to Mac OS Ventura 13, Adobe Photoshop will NOT allow me to import photos from my cameras, a Canon EOS R5 and a Nikon Z50. When I cable the cameras to my iMac (M1), Photoshop sees and correctly identifies the camera brand, but the photos on the camera do not show up. Thus, no import of them is possible.

The native Apple app Photos does recognize and allow for importation. Also, very strangely, Lightroom sees and imports from the camera.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Thanks. I've asked engineering to investigate.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
7 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I've asked engineering to investigate.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any word on when this issue might be resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this only when directly hooked up to the camera? What happens if you copy the image files from the camera card to the Mac hard disk, and then import from the hard disk. Is that a workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2022 Nov 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can import from Apple's photo app. And Lighthouse. Import should work in Photoshop. This needs to be fixed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I've been looking at it. It's not resolved, unfortunately. All indications are that it was broken inside Apple's implementation of ImageKit on Mac OS Ventura. The last 3 versions of PS work fine on Mac OS 12.6.1, and all three PS versions broke on Ventura. I also asked the Lightroom team, and it seems they switched to using a completely different library for importing images from devices in 2015. So PS and LR are not using the same code for importing from devices, which explains why LR works and PS does not. I'll guess that Apple Photos also does not use ImageKit. What's not clear is whether the Apple OS guys broke ImageKit unknowingly on Ventura, or if some unexpected new issue was exposed by the particular way in which PS calls Apple ImageKit.

So - No fix yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After minor upgrades to both Ventura and Photoshop, STILL not solution to the problems. Why?  Yes, I can pull off pictures from Canon EOS R5 to the Apple photo app. Then copy and paste them into a folder. Then open them up on Photoshop. But why do I have to take three steps instead of one? Can someone please address and fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

> After minor upgrades to both Ventura and Photoshop, STILL not solution to the problems. Why?

As I mentioned earlier, all indications are that Ventura broke this feature. It's failing inside a Library which is provided by Apple. The bug is with them, and the bug status indicates they have not investigated yet despite multiple reports. We are waiting on them.

The only alternative for Photoshop would be to identify an alternative Library to Apple ImageKit (not done), then tear our the old code and wire up that new Library. Doing that work is not longer a Bug Fix, but is a Feature Development Activity. That makes it expensive in time, both for development and testing, and it needs to be scheduled and prioritized by Photoshop Product Management. Even if Product Management made such a decision to switch Libraries, I do not see the work happening any time soon given current priorities.

I get that you are frustrated, and I'd love to give you a answer that indicated that I had managed to fix it over the weekend, but at this point, the best bet is to "Wait on Apple". Which unfortunately, is much like "Waiting for Godot".

Our bug is still open. I periodically check the matching Apple bug. It is still open. No Fix yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate