• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Not default program for PSD files (macOS)

Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that when I do not have Photoshop CC 2018 open already, I get an error when trying to open PSD files. It says that this file cannot be opened in Photoshop 2017. But that version has been uninstalled after the 2018 version was installed. I check the "Get Info" panel, and the default program for all my PSD files is PS 2017 with a generic icon. When I try to select PS 2018 from the drop down menu, it doesn't take and reverts back to 2017. I also notice that once I have PS 2018 open, and I am able to open a PSD file, there is no PS icon in the file name bar like usual. It's a blank document icon. I imagine this is related to the 2017 default app error. Please fix!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Fixed in current versions of Photoshop.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
19 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for the report of the trouble setting Photoshop CC 2018 as the default application for opening PSD, We are aware of this one and working on a fix. 

For now, the workaround as you've discovered, is to have Photoshop open before you double-click on the PSD file, or drag the PSD onto the Photoshop icon on your Dock. 

Just to be sure -- are you on MacOS?

Regards
Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, macOS Sierra 10.12.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrong settings in the info.plist from adobe PhotoShop.

Right klick on Adobe Photoshop CC 2018  > Show Package Contents.
Open the info.plist inside the Contents Folder in TextWrangel.

Delete the following lines 31-34

<key>LSItemContentTypes</key>
<array>
<string>com.adobe.photoshop-image</string>
</array>

Save the document.

Please open the terminal and type a
touch /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CC\ 2018/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CC\ 2018.app
or
touch (and drag & dropping the Photoshop Application into the terminal Window)

Last step: sign out the user and sign in again

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your instructions work.

Since I'm not sure all Mac users have experience editing the info.plist or even plists in general, I tried your advice and make a screenshot guide for those who are not familiar with this.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2416783

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been two months, and still this issue exists. I'd rather not go through a workaround (but thank you for the suggestion Thorsten), but rather have this issue fixed by Adobe themselves. It's been a while, the holidays are over, shouldn't this be taken care of?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have questions about  this workaround as well. Maybe one or two times it was normal, but then Photoshop CC 2018 crashed and had to be reinstalled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Thorsten. I hadn't quite figured out why PS CC 2017 was launching when it shouldn't. Your fix worked. (PS 2018 v. 19.1 on MacOS 10.13.2)

Oops -- I then found that PS crashed every time I opened it. I reverted it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I can't seem to get Photohop cc 2018 to be recognised under High Sierra as the default application for opening image files. Even after get info and change all applied. Any help appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Photoshop in the "Open with"  list? My problem has Photoshop disappearing from  10.13.3 Get Info > Open with list, leaving Preview as the default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. And sometimes opens in cs6. I can choose cc 2018 in choose other but it doesn't remember this setting for long. Not good for the work flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to chase this down myself. For the time being CC 2018 is the only Photoshop app installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing happens when opening any image file. Just tried with a png and it tried to open in cs6. After changing png to default app cc 2018 it again tried to open in a different app. Note cc 2018 photoshop is always open at the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might have found a way. I used the Creative Cloud Cleaner app to remove all instances of Photoshop and the Creative Cloud Desktop app. This Cleaner app removes files that are left on the Mac even after a uninstall. So simply uninstalling doesn't remove all files and the trouble is still there.

My mistake may be that I installed my Permanent License CS6 and CS3 after installing CC more than likely overwriting CC files with CS and bolloxing up the Launch Database which decides what versions of Photoshop show up in the Open With list under File > Info.

So I cleaned all instance of Ps out and this time only reinstalled the latest Photoshop CC and the CC Desktop app. Makes sense since only Photoshop dropped off the list, not Illustrator or InDesign. Still I removed all Adobe apps and files to be sure.

So far, 11 hours and counting with CC 2018 hanging in there.

If you want to give this a try, be sure to back up your presets and plugins.

Gene --

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So  this problem continues despite a clean reinstall of Creative Cloud and Photoshop CC 2018. I can use Safe Boot on 10.13.3 to restore the Launch Services database, but the problem randomly returns.

I really don't know on whose property, Adobe or Apple the problem resides.

Does any of the Adobe staff have anything to add?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It turns out using Mozilla Firefox 58 randomly removes Photoshop from the "Open With" list in OSX for image files leaving Preview.app or Illustrator as the default.

For a workaround, browsing to about:config and setting "security.sandbox.content.level" to 2 (instead of the current default value of 3) and then restarting your browser does work. This makes the security sandbox more permissive, but doesn't completely disable it.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1437281#c23

This is different from the Adobe PSD bug and does not fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated Photoshop CC to the most current version (19.1.3) and I also have Photoshop CS6 installed, and now Finder has reverted to CS6 as the default application for opening any photoshop file. In the past, I have fixed this by right clicking on a file, going to "get info", selecting the right application under the "open with" section  and clicking the "change all" button. Now, though, when I click "change all", it asks are you sure you want to do this, and I click continue, but it just resets the form, putting photoshop CS6 back to the default. I believe this is a bug on Adobe's end since I haven't recently updated my Mac OSX and this problem started when I updated from Photoshop CC18 to CC19. 

Has anyone found a fix that does not involve uninstalling CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fixed in current versions of Photoshop.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate