Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Not opening images from macOS Catalina Finder

LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe,

I just bought a brand-new Mac, which shipped with macOS Catalina 10.15.2. I went to the Adobe Website and installed the latest Creative Cloud Desktop App, and Photoshop CC 2020 (latest version). Whenever I double-click a .PSD or .JPG file in the macOS Finder, with Photoshop set as my default App, The Photoshop Application itself opens, but the file does not open, so I have to manually choose File > Open, navigate to the file in the folder. This is especially disruptive to my creative workflow, since I use many different versions of my .PSD and .JPG files in the Finder and right click and then choose open with Photoshop CC 2020. I've tried reinstalling macOS (clean install), and updating to macOS 10.15.3, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop and Bridge several times but the issue persists. Could you please help me get Photoshop to open images by selecting (Open with > Photoshop 2020) from the macOS Finder? I read somewhere online that it may be a macOS Launch Services problem, but tried resetting that through terminal commands, but that didn't work. I'm using a software program called Faronics Deep Freeze for Mac, and when I uninstall the Deep Freeze Software, Photoshop opens images correctly, however, BOTH Deep Freeze and Photoshop are essential to my workflow; I contacted Faronics, the software developer who produces Deep Freeze, and they told me to file a bug report with Adobe because they had heard of problems regarding Deep Freeze and Adobe After Effects, and they told me that my problem with Photoshop may be related to problem with Adobe After Effects . 

https://faronics.kayako.com/News/NewsItem/View/217/issues-running-adobe-after-affects-on-macos-catal...

I believe my Photoshop with Faronics Deep Freeze Mac Software problem is related to how Adobe products require all volumes to be mounted in a folder that is NOT globally searchable. The above article explains that Deep Freeze, as part of steps they take to secure the system, creates volumes on the local system that are mounted in a folder that is not globally searchable. It then goes on to explain that when After Effects encounters any volume configured in this manner, After Effects fails to launch. I strongly believe that my Photoshop with Deep Freeze Mac problem is related to the After Effects problems that Faronics and Adobe are both supposedly aware of, but Faronics specifically told me to file a bug complaint with Adobe; I chatted with Adobe support directly, and they referred me to this page. 

Could you please help me get Photoshop and Deep Freeze Mac software working (opening .PSD files from the macOS 10.15 Finder by double clicking on the image and not having to Choose File > Open, browse the file system, and then click open? On my old macOS 10.14.5 and Photoshop CC 2019 with Deep Freeze Mac version 7, Double clicking a .PSD file in the macOS Finder worked perfectly - resulting in Photoshop actually opening the correct file!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Fixed in 21.2 or later.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
3 Comments
LEGEND ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started having a similar problem where I can't open Photoshop files from double clicking in the finder. I do not have the Deep Freeze software mentioned above. This just started happening today. It also does not open recent files. I get a message: "Cannot open the selected item because the file was not found.  Any help on this is greatly appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Faronics, the company that produces the Deep Freeze software, told me that Adobe Photoshop 2020 is looking in system folders on the hard drive that it should not be looking at, and when it encounters a permissions error in the filesystem, it refuses to open .PSD files at all. The workaround that worked correctly for me was to:
1. Erase my entire hard drive (SSD)
2. Reinstall a new copy of macOS Catalina 10.15
3. Install the LATEST Adobe CC 2020 Apps from my Adobe Account
4. Install Deep Freeze, and Freeze my entire hard drive
5. Thaw my hard drive using Deep Freeze, and then install the Deep Freeze Update Utility, which Faronics emailed to me, which Faronics told me corrects the permissions on the filesystem so Photoshop will work correctly (open Photoshop files by double clicking in the macOS Finder). Faronics Technical support also told me that they were even able to replicate my issue on their test machines both with and without Deep Freeze Installed; it means that the filesystem permissions are corrupted, and you need to erase and reinstall your entire hard drive ( the OS and Photoshop).
6.Re-Freeze my entire hard drive, and after checking that it was frozen, I loaded some .PSD files from my NAS (Network-Attached Storage) to my macOS Desktop, where Photoshop finally worked correctly (opening images by double clicking in the macOS Finder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fixed in 21.2 or later.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate