• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Object Selection or Select Subject Crashing

Enthusiast ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug often occurs on the Ryzen CPU5900x desktop.

I don't know how exactly reproduce.

but just step was simple.

1. Just pick Object Selection tool -> Sometimes Crash.

2. Just click "Select Subject" -> Sometimes Crash too.

This Computer driver is Nvidia Studio driver(Rtx2070) latest version.

I've only seen those crashes happen randomly in those two tools.(or function?)

Of course, every time a crash report appears, I pressed OK to submit it. Since there were several errors since last month... I think I pressed the error report about 20 times.

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

I checked the latest driver updates on Nvidia Homepage and saw, that there is a new one from this month. After updating, the problem has been fixed.

Thank you anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Thanks everyone for your posts and system info. The team has a fix for this bug and should be in a future release.

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
53 Comments
Enthusiast ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@De25600140qdxb  Hey, I'm worried about what you're going through.

Please use a different backup version first. (For example, 2021 or 2020).

And often, if there is a crash while using the 2022 version (23.4.2), keep sending error reports.
I do the current work in a different version, and I sometimes turn on the 2022 version to report whenever there is an error report.

It would be helpful to send an error report like me every time it pops up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I always save it in case of a crash.
I've experienced this crash in all the functions related to W (quick selection, object selection tool, select subject), so I always save it before using the selection function.

I don't know why it crashes as soon as I turn on Photoshop. I didn't have this experience in 2021 before, so I tried to infer that it might be a problem with the environment or graphics driver, and actually updated or tested it, but it didn't seem to improve much. I don't know if it's unstable that Photoshop is loading...

Thank you Adobe staff and engineers for always solving many problems and having a hard time. I hope this bug will be solved soon. Thank you...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this reflected in the amendments to 23.5? It's hard to wait for updates. I would appreciate it if you could let me know the date of the update release. Crashes are hard to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2022 Aug 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

我的photoshop每次使用选择工具时都会发生裂痕。 这将使任务无法进行 。 重新设置PS也一样。 请帮我修一下这个。 主题选择不可用。

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very weird crash bug...

One day, if you just write it well and press the w key or the object selection tool or select subject, it sometimes crashes. And once a crash occurs, it seems to become unstable. There are times when the crash occurs again when Photoshop is restarted, and in severe cases, you have to turn it off several times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked the update on Adobe Creative Cloud today, but there is no new release. When will this crash fixed 23.5 be released?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way to solve this is to restart Photoshop a few times (or restart the computer).

There are times when a crash does not occur after a few restarts. (at least 2 to 3 times, at most 10 times)

And you can work on it then.

Of course, if we do some work and crash again, we restart like the above method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My English is no good. Sorry

Everytime I use ObjectSelect and failed sometimes. Crash!

I Have Don't a habit of saving often. My Adjustment is Gone!

Fix Please. While doing Potoshop, there is a distrust that there will be a crash someday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of the many ways we've tried to prevent this crash, the only thing that works is not pressing the "W" key.

Of course, the crash that occurs when opening the image cannot be prevented by this method, but it seems that the crash occurs when the selection function (select subject, quick selection tool, object selection tool) is activated by pressing the W key.(Also Lasso tool)

It's very hard not to be able to use selection-related functions, but it's more important to keep using Photoshop than to crash.

This is my experience, my subjective opinion and may not be the right solution. But I hope it helps people like me.

DON'T USE SELECTION FUNCTION(object selection tool/quick selection tool/Select subject/or Just Press W key)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very hard and an incomprehensible bug...
My life is disabled by resetting prefs, reinstalling PS, and turning off photoshop several times a day.

It's amazing why this isn't fixed as an emergency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When it fix? When is the next release?

The crash is driving me crazy. I lost half of my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's only been reported on Photoshop Reddit for a month.

https://www.reddit.com/r/photoshop/comments/wpyrh1/help_photoshop_crashes_sometimes_when_i_try_to/

https://www.reddit.com/r/photoshop/comments/w8obic/photoshop_crashes_whenever_i_use_the_w_hotkey/

https://www.reddit.com/r/photoshop/comments/wnlud5/help_photoshop_and_after_effects_crash_on_startup...

https://www.reddit.com/r/photoshop/comments/w4d01m/photoshop_crashing_all_the_time/

https://www.reddit.com/r/photoshop/comments/w5q9se/object_selection_tool_crashing_my_pc/

And it seems that this crash related to object selection has actually occurred since Photoshop 2022 was released last year.

It's really serious that this crash hasn't been fixed to this 23.4.2 version.

They reset their preferences countless times, repeat Photoshop, graphics drivers, and OS reinstallations, and some people buy new computers to solve this crash and pay extra money.

But this is a defect inside the photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This crash, which started a few months ago, was embarrassing.

I experienced this crash from 23.0.2, and I felt that the crash became more aggressive as the version was upgraded. And current version 23.4.2 is serious.

It crashes in several situations.

a. use selection tool (something like Object Selection tool, Select Subject button)

b. or when just press 'W' key. (It seems to be similar to the above item because there are many selection functions in the w key)

c. A random crash occurs when i open some image or just whan start Photoshop (This is weird)

Window10

I'll write down what I've tried or changed.

1. Deactive Native Canvas - Problem not solved

2. Uncheck Use Graphic ProcessorProblem not solved

3. Uncheck Multi Thread Compositing - Problem not solved

4. Reset Preferences, Reset tool - Problem not solved

5. Reset Preferences manually delete - Problem not solved

6. Reinstall Photoshop - Problem not solved

7. Clean Temp folder - Problem not solved

8. Reinstall Window10 OS - Problem not solved

9. Try other GPU driversFrom the initial version to the latest version(516.94) released this year, the game ready driver and studio driver versions are both - Problem not solved

10. BIOS reset.(Actually already is normal) - Problem not solved

11. Change GPU rtx2080 to rtx3080 - Problem not solved

12. Change CPU Cooler(I thought it was ridiculous) - Problem not solved

13. Change Ram, add more - Problem not solved

14. Change Main SSD(m.2) - Problem not solved

15. Change Sub SSD(m.2) for Scratch Disk - Problem not solved

16. Change CPU 12700k to 12900k intel - Problem not solved

Yeah, that's all. I've been doing everything I can for months, and I've tried to remove and change the variables that might appear in every user.

Now that I've done all I can, there's only one thing can fix in Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kegif  same. I also spent a lot of money thinking that my computer was a problem.

I usually do Photoshop and 3D rendering. I've never experienced a crash in the last five years, even with the tremendous load of rendering. But the crash that happens every time you use the selection in Photoshop to cut off the parts you need is driving me crazy. Of course, I thought there would be a change because I spent money, but it was all the more sad that the problem hadn't been solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kegif  I'm sorry for the many things you've tried and changed.

I am also doing a lot of tests and recording on the current version of Photoshop 2022.

Other bugs can be bypassed or avoided, or used, but...

There is currently no method for crash bugs related to the selection tool of this thread. The only thing was to use Photoshop from an entirely different year, such as 2021 or 2020

If you look at the fixed answer, Adobe Employee @CoryShubert  said "Thanks everyone for your posts and system info. The team has a fix for this bug and should be in a future release."

They say they have amendments to this. I hope it will be fixed soon in 23.5 and I'm just waiting for it to be released, but it's being delayed a lot. Let's cheer up and wait

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue. it should be fix quickly..

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same problem,when i press the keyboard "W",program will crash

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this fixed at 23.5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid to press the w key every time.
This is an old crash from 23.0.1 and I couldn't really use the 2022 version of the w-key (quick selection tool, object selection tool, select subject)

The masking in Photoshop includes stroke masking that we brush directly, and selection functions that track in pixels. (It is related to masking, so pass and vector mask are excluded)
However, due to the serious defects in Photoshop, it is a huge problem that one function cannot actually be used for more than 7-8months.

From Photoshop 2020, the function "select subject" created by the introduction of Adobe sensei will be promoted every new release. We promoted 2021 too. In 2022, I definitely checked the details of the selection subject in Photoshop 2022 new feature.

Why promote features that are virtually unavailable today due to defects?

I have to keep the new version because of the company's license. Someone would say this to people like us. "You can use the previous version"
In fact, it's not.

but that's also limited. So I'm very disappointed that the workflow in the last seven or eight months has been broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After update 23.5, Certainly, the number of crashes has decreased.

But there are still occasional crashes. In the past, 7 to 8 times were crashes when trying 10 times, but now 1 to 2 times are crashes when trying 10 times. I keep sending reports whenever the error window appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Nvidia driver that addresses this crash is now out! Please download the new driver and let us know how it goes!

Thanks 🙂 

Hannah Nicollet 
QA, Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Hannah Nicollet Thanks for news. Does this resolve all crashes in Photoshop 23.0~23.4.2 if I install a new driver from Nvidia (517.40)? Or should I wait for the release of Photoshop 23.5.2 corresponding to this?
Because I know that GPU processing is temporarily processed by CPU from 23.5 to reduce the crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jqqerry,

The Nvidia driver update should address the crash when you are using GPU. And you're correct, current GM Photoshop is forcing the use of CPU in the presence of an Nvidia driver. So in order to make use of the fix you would need to update your Nvidia driver and use Photoshop Beta Prime, or update Photoshop when 24.0 becomes available. Does that answer your question?

Thanks!

Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, even with the newest drivers. The crashes also happen in Photoshop 2021. Maybe Windows 11 is the problem? Any solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate