Exit

P: Object Selection very slow response Photoshop 23.5

Enthusiast ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Current latest PS version is 23.5

And Object Selection is really slow.

It wasn't like this until the early version of PS 2022, but it's getting slower and at 23.5, it's really weirdly slow.

I thought there might be a speed difference between turning on and off the option, so I compared it, but the results were the same.

Precise previews for 16bit document on/off

Native canvas on/off

Multithread compositing on/off

Use Graphic Processor on/off

Image Processing- Select Subject(Device , Cloud) : I don't know if this affects object selection, but I tried changing options.

The size of the test image below is really small. 1000px x 667px (sRGB, 8bit document)

The reason why I tested it with a small image was because I thought it was because of the large image and the number of layers.

But if you look at the gif image below, you can see a huge difference in loading and speed

This is Photoshop 23.5's object selection.

23_5 16on.gif

Even though the end is cut to meet the gif capacity, the loading time in front is long. Once again, the test image is very small.

And Now this is Photoshop 21.0.3's object selection. you can check this...

PS 21.0.3 object selectionPS 21.0.3 object selection

Can you see the difference? It's a big difference.

This is the difference in speed that appears even though the image used in the test is really small.
In the actual working image (6000x8000px), there is a loading as if the computer had stopped a little bit.
It's the same if you try to select a very small, very simple part of a real image, not a lot of it.

This needs to be improved Speed or delay. In fact, the masking quality of those two images was almost the same.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

This should be fixed in Photoshop 2023 (version 24.0)

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 184 Replies 184
184 Comments
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the latest version of Photoshop installed (24.3) and it takes 5 minutes to object-select a black square on a white background (1000x1000 px). I don't have a sick gamer laptop, but I feel like 5 minutes is still too long for a task like that, don't you think?

Specs are:

Windows 10 Enterprise

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8365U CPU @ 1.60GHz

Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620

16 GB RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you first reset the Photoshop preferences back to the factory defaults to see if that sorts the issue out.

You can do that uner the General tab in preferences (then closing and reopening the application).

Presumably you have plenty of spare hard disk capacity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have plenty of free hard drive space, resetting to factory presets didn't solve the issue though. Object selection is still completely unusable...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much RAM do you have?

(24.6 is the latest version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Specs:

Windows 10 Enterprise

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8365U CPU @ 1.60GHz

Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620

16 GB RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried: Select > Subject?

(Select "Cloud" from the drop-down menu for the best selection.)

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 09.40.04.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, I made a selection via the menu bar select > subject and it worked pretty good. After doing that once, the TOOL object selection (shortcut W) doesn't take ages anymore or crashes the programm, but the selection it does is really bad, doesn't matter if it's device or cloud based. So the tool is still useless, but if I only go use the menu bar select option, it works.
Weird though, that after using the menu bar, the tool somehow got debugged or whatever, isn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try uninstalling the application and reinstalling it again. If that doesn't work use the Adobe Cleaner Tool to uninstall Photoshop before reinstalling it again.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So, STABLE will always give the best results, but consume more resources and FAST consume less resources, but doesn't give so good results, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate