==> shortcut isn't working anymore ctrl+alt+N

Bug Won't fix
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
10 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2014 Feb 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tommy,

If you click Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts and look under the File menu entries, what is the shortcut for File > New now? What displays in the menus?

I'm assuming you're running Windows? Which version? And which version of Photoshop?

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2014 Feb 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

File ==> new is for long time CTRL+N and this is found indeed under the keyboard shortcuts menu. I think everybody knows this shortcut. As my subject explains, the problem is that we cannot open a new file without dialog box via CTRL+ALT+N. My colleague neither anymore since we updated.

i'm using Photoshop cc under windows and till 2 weeks ago I could use it. last week I did another update of Photoshop CC whcih solved a lot of new bugs but as usual other bugs are appearing in Photoshop like this shortcut which is no longer exisiting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 24, 2014 Feb 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tommy,

Again, what version of Windows are you running? I've tried six different machines running both CS6 and CC and on ALL of them, CNTRL+ALT+N triggers File > New. You may have redefined the shortcut by accident. You can restore your shortcuts to defaults by going to Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts and reselecting Photoshop Defaults from the dropdown. Otherwise, my guess is that you have a third-party app intercepting the accelerator key. I can do a web-hosted screenshare with you if you'd like to troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You also might want to double-check your keyboard, particularly if you're running a language which has AltGr for the right Alt key. Such a layout does NOT treat the left and right Alt keys the same.

So, if you could please share your language and version of Windows, your keyboard language, and your Photoshop language, that might help solve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you can confirm you open a new file WITHOUT having the dialog box???? I also have a new file with CTRL+ALT+N but WITH dialog box. All my colleagues also and they have the same problem. I do NOT want to open WITH a dialogue box, I want to open a new file without dialog box, so without filling in presets, so het takes the previous presets. I did not change any shortcut, all is set as default

Language of keyboard PC is Dutch as it is already for 12 years. Photoshop is English.Windows 7. I did not change anything and it is gone after the last update of Photoshop as so many things didn't work anymore and had to be solved afterwards (cfr backspace for Polygonal lasso tool, etc...).

So I do not want file==>new , I want File ==> new without dialog box

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 25, 2014 Feb 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tommy,

The shortcut to create a new file is CNTRL+N. The ALT is a modifier. Both trigger opening the File > New dialog box and, as far as I can remember, always have. There is no option to create a new file without a dialog box.

The polygon tool bug is known and being worked on.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2014 Feb 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

The polygon bug tool is indeed known and in mean time even solved with the update of last week.Please check.

The Alt in combination with CTRL+N does open a file without dialog box. Several people do confirm they used it also. Please check the internet. I work for 12 years now in Photoshop and I am for 200% sure this is existing.

check also following links ==>
http://www.photoshopforphotographers....

On page 4 you can find this shortcut.

http://www.wideopenwindows.be/pscs5.html

In the middle of the document is mentioned

Nieuw document met laatste instellingen Opt/Alt+Cmd/Ctrl+N
new document with latest presets (so without dialog box)

https://www.inkling.com/read/photosho...

Here also this shortcut is confirmed.

I do not understand why you keep telling this is not existing if we use it for quit a long time and even when it is confirmed on the WWW.

Best regards,

Tommy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2014 Feb 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look at the Ps for Photographers, you see that CTRL+N will open a new document, based on the contents of the clipboard, while CTRL+ALT+N will always fill in the info from the previously opened document.

Try to do a printscreen. Do CTRL+N, notice it is the size of your screen. Cancel.
Now, CTRL+ALT+N, notice that the clipboard size is not used, but the one of the previous opened document are filled in the numerical fields. Click enter, and you are done, so it seems to work as expected from the description. it's the pre-filling that changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer but as I explained several times: before (since 2 weeks ago the problem exists) there was not any dialog box. This description is also mentioned in the links I provided. Not any dialog box should appear, not even filled in with the previous settings.

the same exists for a new layer for example

you can add a new layer with dialog box with dialog box ==> the shortcut is shift+ctrl+N
new layer without dialog box ==> shift+ctrl+alt+N

this still works....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
CTRL+N takes the setting of clipboard or previous settings but WITH dialog box so you can change it.
CTRL+ALT+N does the same thing but without dialog box and opens the new document immediately with previous settings

Votes

Translate

Translate