• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Pasting a file instead of dragging it in

LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would I want this to happen when I paste a file? On a Mac, I Cmd+C a file from my desktop, and Cmd+V it into my document, and this preview icon shows up instead of the actual image. We must get this changed to paste the actual graphic.RackMultipart20170224410732gig-08c46176-aa05-43bd-b919-64447c509361-1790490946.pngRackMultipart20170224410732gig-08c46176-aa05-43bd-b919-64447c509361-1790490946.png Seriously...what could the use case EVER BE for this icon to show up?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017
This issue should be work the way you expect in the latest release of Photoshop CC: https://blogs.adobe.com/photoshop/2017/10/get-the-goods-announcing-updates-to-photoshop-cc-dimension...

Votes

Translate

Translate
10 Comments
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pro Tip: Open the file on your desktop in PS instead of copying.

Never in 20+ years of using Ps have i heard of someone trying to copy/paste the way you're describing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's sidestepping the issue while overcomplicating the workflow. Why open a new tab in PS when I have no need to edit the screenshot? 2 steps instead of 1. The issue I'm describing is that copy/pasting the image into the document this way does something completely useless at this time. Surely this could be considered a bug, what could the need be for dropping in a preview icon? Meanwhile, this method works in other design software like Sketch. It also makes more sense than dragging and dropping in the context of a smaller laptop display with Photoshop taking up the entire screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What other applications have you seen where this is even possible?

The Finder has access to the File Name or the File Icon for copy/paste functionality - nothing from the internal file without opening it.

For example,  If I click on an Excel file and cmd C and cmd P into an open Excel file, only the file name is pasted into the active cell.

Further, using your same steps and paste into the OS app "Preview" has the same behavior as Photoshop.

I would say this is "As Designed" and is a limitation of the possible OS/app interaction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned in above comments, it works in Sketch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'll check with engineering to see if this is something we can hook up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In any app on the mac (including your own XD or Sketch) if I copy an image file (so CMD + C on image.jpg) I can then paste it in my artboard. If I do that in Photoshop however, all I am getting is a large resolution preview of the icon.

RackMultipart20170819113035y1q-2da41d92-1f09-4c0b-89be-344f4f612c9d-1104903829.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you drag the image into the psd window? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works in all native mac apps like Mail and even in Adobe's own XD. The reason this is important is that dragging and dropping, especially from the desktop, is far harder on macbooks with a touchpad than it is on desktops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works fine and that is what I have been doing for years because copy pasting doesn't work, but I recently switched from a desktop to a laptop (which is what a lot of designers are using) and in there it is a lot harder to drag and drop (try dragging and dropping a file from your desktop with a touchpad), so copy pasting would be a breeze.

And again, it works in all native mac apps, it works in XD and Sketch, it would be great if PS had this too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
This issue should be work the way you expect in the latest release of Photoshop CC: https://blogs.adobe.com/photoshop/2017/10/get-the-goods-announcing-updates-to-photoshop-cc-dimension...

Votes

Translate

Translate