• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Perspective Warp upside down [2023]

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be an issue with Photoshop 2023, which the Perspective Warp tool makes the images appear upside down. It is only after approval that the images resume their orginal position. ie Correct way up.

What is going on?

Adobe Photoshop Version: 24.1.0 20221206.r.166 be4691b x64

[confusing typo fixed by mod]

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Engineering is looking into this issue.

As workaround, go to Preferences > Technology Previews... and enable "Older GPU mode (pre 2016)" - Restart Photoshop.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023
Sorry everyone for the “won’t fix” confusion. We’ll set this thread to Investigating as we currently don’t have a “cannot reproduce” status we can use in the thread. This issue seems to affect older generation GPUs between 8 and 13 years old. We’ll continue to investigate but cannot guarantee a fix for this one will come for older GPUs. Affected GPUs posted in this thread so far:
  • NVIDIA
  • GeForce GTX 680
  • GeForce GTX 780
  • GeForce GTX 960M
  • Nvidia Quadro K1200
  • Quadro K620
  • Quadro M1000M
  • AMD
  • Rade
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 223 Replies 223
223 Comments
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

以前のGPUモード(2016年以前)の設定を変えても解決しませんでした。

GPUは2021年のもので、OSはWindows11、Photoshopは24.2.1です。

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The setting has little to do with the Age (honestly they should change the setting name). But it has helped many users with the same issue. I'll merge this over to the main thread and hopefully someone else can give insight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea. In the meantime, as of this writing, version 24.3.0 recently released has not stamped out the bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the crazy flashing black and white when I send an image through from Lightroom to Photoshop, again solved by unchecking Use Graphics Processor.

However, I need to be able to use this, so if anyone can post a solution I'd be really pleased!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @janetb31477533 did you also check the Use Older GPU (2016)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe flickering canvas is an another topic... however better way is to uncheck "deactivate native canvas" in technology preview. That worked for me without turning off GPU acceleration, cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agreed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been discussed several times in this thread, but for those who are impatient, busy or just don't bother browsing through and read old posts in this thread, here we go once again:

Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT turn off the GPU or use "Older GPU mode (2016)" because that will just cause Photoshop to turn off GPU and use CPU software rendering, thus slowing down Photoshop drastically.

The best way is to simply just "Add a blank (white) layer mask to the layer you need to warp". And yeah, thats it! Now you can warp and use the mask or not use the mask and it works just fine, as simple as that! See below example of a white mask on a layer I want to warp:

PeterLndr_0-1680115334626.png

Since this works perfectly, we can clearly see that the problem is not at all about any "older hardware" or any "older GPU physics" at all, but is just a common bug introduced with changes in PS version 24.1.X and it looks like the bug is still there in 24.3.0 but lucky us, the above fix still works.

Now, also the new flickering bug introduced in 24.3.0 can be fixed withough whitching the GPU off, all you need to do is to go to menus Edit -> Preferences -> Technology Previews... -> and there check the box for "Deactivate Native Canvas".

Now, these issues look like issues that could very easily be tested and spotted by any junior developer or QA engineer - especially the flickering issue - if they just were tested with some "older customer hardware" instead of only developers own Mac M2 PRO's 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Lndr maybe does the addition of the mask disable the GPU code and force the CPU to be used...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @Mikaela Morgan if it worked for you, we can leave it up, it does make for a slower Photoshop, hence the other suggestions to be tried first, but sharing is caring, it might still help someone...
Another solution if the new GPU code, is to install an older version alongside the current one: they can work without interference, and should be able to switch from one to the other according to the tasks needed. On a Mac, I can have several running at the same time, I think it is not possible on a PC, but at least it is another path to explore for those who need to work with the latest improvements, but without the issues that the hardware/software combination makes them encounter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PECourtejoie  As a test I watched the Windows performance monitor for GPU & CPU when applying a transform warp with mask on Ps v24.3 & the CPU is used more with a reduction in GPU activity. This is in comparison with a warp without mask on Ps v23 which doesn't have this upside down problem.

Also Ps v24.3 for perspective warp a mask doesn't work the quickest solution is just to use v23 rather than toggling the " Older GPU"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PECourtejoie and @others, Using masks is one of the most basic and most regular stuff designers and photographers do when using PS, so if that would disable GPU completely or even temporarily or partially, or affect performance in anyway, I'm sure it would affect millions of designers and photographes all over the world negatively.

When I really do disable the GPU or Switch to "older mode" on purpose, I can see a drastic slowdown for example in zoomin the picture, rewriting the picture or using warptool or brush tools with bigger tips, and the screen will slow down so that I can directly observe it with my eyes and I don't need to observe it with any performance tool or such, it is slow always, yes PS could still be used with a fast CPU but it is annoying when everything is drawn slowly and PS is cleary laggy all over.

When I use PS normally (with GPU) I can see that everyting is qick and snappy, aleways , no slow downs anywhere, so I would appreciate if we kept this discussion on track and just required the manufacturer to fix their tools, processes and perhaps attitudes ( 🙂 ), it is a clear bug, and clearly something else than "older GPU stuff". And yes, this is something that has just been getting worse over time, and these instructions to shut off GPU or switching to some fancy older mode are just misleading people to think that they would need to upgrade their computers to somehting that isn't really going to give them any real benefits.

( Same goes for the flickering screen bug )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Lndr @I think that the Ps developers are between the rock and the hard place, they have to take advantage of the newer APIs, like DirectX12, they are told that OpenGL will be dropped soon in favor of DirectX and Metal, and at the same time, users expect their hardware to still be powerful enough years after...

Still I remember running Ps 4 (we are at Ps24) on a 64 Megabytes machine... One cannot only blame Ps or Adobe if even running Windows or MacOS requires 8 gigs of RAM minimum...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that the problem is much worse on the Windows side, because of poor graphics driver quality and because Apple keeps things more current with hardware/OS releases. I have some old PC laptops with Core2 Duo processors that can still run Windows 10, while Apple hasn't supported that CPU in years. Also, Apple doesn't sell low-end boxes; even the entry-level Mac mini and MacBook Air have decent graphics. On PCs you can find some truly awful performers.
At some point there is going to be a hard cutoff where Adobe will require Windows 11 for new releases and a lot of this will go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 5 year old mobile workstation and it was top of the line back then, never failed me even once. I expect it to run 5 more years for this money, but now I already know I can't change the GPU and Windows 11 doesn't suppor my cpu. That's great that we have some simple temporary solutions, we can wait, nonetheless many ppl like me expect it to run couple more years with no problems. I'm sure they will provide :).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works for me (older graphics card).  But with the latest version I also have to Disable Native Canvas under Preferences -> Technology Previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me! Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this same problem, my GPU is one of the affected (GTX 960m). I found that momentarily turning off the 'Use Graphics Processor' setting by going to Preferences>Performance, lets the perspective warp work as it should. I turn it back on after. Hope this works for others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CoryShubert  Hi—just an FYI.
Updated PsCC today, 2023.5.5, to latest release 24.4.1 ... Warp Tool still not working properly. I have up-to-date driver of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 card as of 2023.5.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. You have a graphics card that doesn't initiate the problem. Can you please provide a helpful answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Deleted User You're asking me for a ".. helpful answer"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry... I clicked the wrong person. It was supposed to go to a lady.
Her reply was that her computer worked perfectly, which... didn't help
anybody really.
Can't remember her name, but it started with a K.
I thought I clicked the right one, but apparently not. Sorry about that

Peggy

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry did you mean me? Perspective warp flips the image but it doesn't when I turn off 'use graphics processor'. I assume that means its something to do with the GPU. Mine is one of GPUs in the pinned comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate