Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

P: Photoshop 2020 + Wacom tablet problem: jumping elements

7 Votes
LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the update to Photoshop CC 2020 (now 21.1.2), there are problems with working on the Wacom tablet: elements (especially smart objects and layers grouped in group folders) jump back and forth when moving and cannot be placed precisely.

This happens on several computers with different tablets.

This does not happen with other programs (inkluding Photoshop 2019, Adobe Illustrator CC 2020, Indesign CC 2020, Open Office, operating system and including Photoshop 2019).

The mouse is working proper.

View example:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ws1k63n9epfcxfg/wacomspringen3beispiele.mp4?dl=0

I had called the Adobe support before and was finally referred to Wacom. After writing extensively with Wacom Support and performing various tests without success, I was referred back to Adobe (because the problem is only in Photoshop) and write with the Adobe support again – but without result. Now they send me to the forum.

My Setting (s):

x Wacom Intous 4 XL (PTK-1240)

And also: Wacom Intuos Pr M (PTH-651)

x IMac Retina 5K 27 'late 2015 (32 GB RAM / AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB) + 2nd 27" Monitor

And also: Mac Book Pro Retina 15' mid 2014

x Mac OSX 10.15.4 (Catalina)

x Current Photoshop version CC 2020 (21.1.2)

x Current Wacom driver 6.3.38-3 (with all necessary settings in the »Security« system settings, as necessary and recommended: Approval for the driver: »Accessibility«, »Imput monitoring« ...

What was tried to fix:

x Set up a new clean user account on the IMac

x Reset Photoshop CC 2020 Preferences

x Working in Photoshop with GPU and without GPU support

x Installation of the older Wacom drivers version 6.3.37-3

x Repeated installation of the current Wacom driver version 6.3.38-3

All attempts had no effect.

Since Photoshop 2019 on Mac OS Catatlina is no longer fully supported, I urgently need a solution. Imediately I'm very frustrated and I hope, someone could help me.

Does someone have a similar setting, similar problems, an idea?

THX a lot for any help!

Hubertus

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020
Hi HubertusL - can you please try the 21.2 update that went out this AM? It contains a number of fixes for Wacom devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate
49 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like the layers are snapping. If you turn off snapping under View > Snap... do the move smoothly? Or alternatively, hold the control key to temporarily disable snap?

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jeffrey.

THX a lot for your reply!

I turned off the snapping function completely – but that was not the cause. And when I use the mouse there is no jumping, so I think this would be not the case if the snapping function would be the reason.

But I made some experiments with the speed of my movings and I detected it seems to have influence of the jumping.

If I stop movment with the mouse the arrow curser stay on the point exactly and has »enough time« to change from »white moving arrow curser« to »black general curser with cross« and the position of the object stayed fixed.

But If I make a quick movings with my pen on tablet the »white moving arrow curser« do not changing to the other curser not in the moment of »take off« of the pen after finding the posion but a moment later, when the pen hovers again over the surface without touching. So the pen takes the objekt with until the curser actually turned into the »black general curser with cross«. I'm now quite sure that's the reason for the jumping.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yk15d7709uz31n2/IMG_07082.mov?dl=0

The Question is remaining:

Why was this effect not in Photoshop 2019 or 2018 (or in other programms like Illustrator, Indesign ....)?

Could this be because PSD 2020 need more processing power (the big datapacks of smart objekts or layer groups would be a hint on this too).

And need I a new workstation (my current I Mac is not so old and generally fast see above) to get the old glitch free smooth working flow?

But due to your hint: I detected if I turn on »snapping all« it helped (together with slow moves) to position the objekts in the right way is much easyier!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big frustration!

After my problem was simply not solvable, I decided to buy faster than intendet a new current IMac.

New constellation:

x iMac (Retina 5K, 27 Zoll, 2019), 3,6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB RAM

Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, 1TB SSD

2ter Monitor: LG 27“, LG 27UK850K-W

x Wacom Intuos 4 XL or Wacom Intuos Pro M

x Wacom Driver: 6.3.39-1

x Photoshop 2020 (21.1.2)

Result: there are still the same problems with bouncing elements when working with a Wacom tablet in Photoshop 2020 😞

Since these problems do not exist in Photoshop 2019 - and I have now tried three constellations with three different (and recently very up-to-date and freshly set up) computers and different tablets (see above), it MUST have to do with the new Photoshop 2020 - or do I mistaken?

Do realy not anyone have the same problem?

-> Switching alignment on or off has no effect.

-> Switiching GPU support on or off has no effect.

-> When the mouse is used, jumping does not occur.

I would be very grateful for any information. It is very annoying to have to switch back and forth between the mouse and pen just to move elements precisely to their intended position.

Thx in advance!

Hubertus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jeffrey.

Hope it's Ok to ask you directly...

But after I have written long again without results with the normal Adobe Support (they don't tested the constellation) and Wacom before (they have no idea) - now I have bought a brand new computer and still have the problem with the tablet and I don't know what to do.

Do you have any ideas who I can contact?

Much greetings from Berlin!

Hubertus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe that no one has a the same issues like me!?

After all I tested with 3 systems, current with a brand new Imac – with two different tablets from wacom (in all constellations: with Photoshop 2019 and in Photoshop 2020 by using the mouse the problem does not came up).

Is really no one with the same or similar work environment (current iMac, two monitors, pen tablett wacom intuous 4 or intous pro)? No one who is working with smart objects in little bit bigger documents in Photoshop 2020 by pen? (...no snapping function in Photoshop enabled!)

It would be also very helpful if someone with this or similar constellation can me say, he or her has my jumping element problems NOT!

It's so annoying having to use the mouse for preciously placement every time. Painting and drawing with the pen is fortunately preciously possible like ever...

THX a lot for every helpful reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi HubertusL - can you please try the 21.2 update that went out this AM? It contains a number of fixes for Wacom devices.

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi buddy.

I'm from Brazil, and I have the same problem, but until now, not resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jeffry, Diogo

Thanx for your replies!

In the meanwhile I tested the new version of Photoshop (21.2.) - but unfortunately with the same result. 😞

Also I had to downgrade to Photoshop 21.1.3 again – because I had a serious other problem with the new version: Very often if I prune the size of smart-objects there will get these be unproportional transformed after updating in the original document. Thats much more annoying, because I have to use this simple function very often...

So I hope the next update of Photoshop will bring new and better results!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - same thing, though I'm on PC (but very similar spec, just Quadro GFX rather than Radeon). It's almost like it's snapping to something you can't see but happens whether snap is on or off. It's not every drag for me but around half the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reported a more broad problem earlier today...that Bridge "Generating Previews" pretty much locks up my 2018 MBP. It looks to me like Bridge/ACR/Photoshop has either got looping, high priority code (like video memory updates) or has become bloated, but when it ties up the CPU, Wacom, which seems to be treated like a second citizen by Adobe, gets the short end of the stick. I saw above that 21.2 was supposed to have Wacom improvements. Seems to me like it just gets worse each "upgrade."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same exact problem. Ive tried everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sad too. I had to do the same. 
Downgrade to version 21.0 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same stuff bro. Just have appeared in v.21.2.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a few Photoshop updates more (one even with an announced improvement regarding tablets) - unfortunately there was still no improvement in relation of the jumping of the elements when using the pen for positioniing on Wacom pen tablets. On the contrary, as Mike and bet... posted, it seems to have gotten even worse.

Now I have to work with the mouse regularly. Although for years I could do everything with the tablet and the pen and thus had the ideal tool. It's really very frustrating. Photoshop was and is always the ideal program for graphics and illustration in one. It would be great if it stayed that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same annoying problem in Photoshop 2021, still! With an iMac Pro!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really so sad! Photoshop gets crap, really. I have this issue, too and no response from Adobe! And Even lacking with Finder and external volumes, but: Only wiht Photoshop! All other programs work smoothly and Photoshop sucks. The jumping is absolutely not acceptable... Adobe staff is really such a disappointment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No improvements in bugs but iPad versions. Great Adobe. Skip the professional users! No improvements in bugs but iPad versions. Great Adobe. Skip the professional users! Seems like the Illustrator team started upgrading Photoshop...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JeffreyTranberry It does not seems that the layers are snapping. It seems like a bug! Seems like the Illustrator team started upgrading Photoshop...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - this is still a problem and is becoming more and more serious. I am just wondering that only a few users are complaining about it.

Aren't there any more people who work with the Wacom tablet - and not just draw, but also design in Photoshop with the pen at the same time? Don't they have this problem?

I also still jet don't have an official or helpful answer from support. Also no notification that the problem will NOT occur in the same or similar environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Jumping items when trying to drag and place/drop items. Problem only happens when using Wacom pen, not when using mouse.

iMac late-2015 5k, Wacom Intuos Pro Large. All software up to date.

Nothing I've tried fixes the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Jumping items when trying to drag and place/drop items. Problem only happens when using Wacom pen, not when using trackpad.

iMac late-2015 5k, Wacom Intuos Pro Large. All software up to date.

Nothing I've tried fixes the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - I'm sure it's some kind of bug since Photoshop CC 2020, but unfortunately nobody seems to care seriously. Neither on the part of Wacom nor on the part of Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Wacom ‘Pen settings’, go to Mapping and check if ‘Force Proportions’ is checked. If not, check it. This seemed to fix the problem for me.

(Also, I have Screen Area and Tablet Area both set to Full. Not sure if these make a difference.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I use 2 screens this would decrease the actually used size of my tablet to the half! Impossible solution for me... ...by the way, it did not work out anyway for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines