• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.0: Where is Line Weight/Width and Pixels options?

Participant ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having trouble using the Line Tool in PS 22.0.0. 

How do I set the width/weight of the line? In PS 21 there was a "Weight" option along the top bar, but I don't see that anymore. Am I missing it? Or did it move? 

This might be a separate issue, but the lines I'm drawing are not showing up. I have a fill color and stroke color selected, but when I make a line, I don't see it. I just see a blue outline of where it is... the same that might happen if I made a "path" instead of a "shape." 

I just need to make a line with a width/weight of 20px.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

The 22.3 update posted on March 10 contains the pixel mode for the line tool; I will personally go to the mat defending this tool and it's functionality if anybody at Adobe attempts to change this feature again. I'm a believer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Greetings,

Good news, the Pixels mode is now back. For more details on adjusting line weight see Create lines and arrows using the Line tool

To update Photoshop to 22.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. See: More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know your feedback!

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 676 Replies 676
676 Comments
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to set the stroke properties to indicate the kind of line you want. The default is set to nothing.

CleanShot20201023at16.02.262x-f2fb42bb-a203-43bc-88e6-89b5207939b3-112002170.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who in their right mind decided it was a good idea to not only change the Line Tool but also prevent users being able to use the pixel option!?!? Seriously stupid Adobe!! Have to go back to old version now.

Last few hours wasted trying to get someone to fix it by remote and then having to reinstall old version. Honestly!! 

Shows how little you understand concept art workflows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry this change was disruptive; the pixel option disappeared not because we wanted to remove it, but because the lines were redefined as two end points instead of a four-pointed rectangle, and two point lines by definition have no width to stroke (path tool is the the same way).

While we look into how we might be able to accommodate this request, here's a couple tips that may restore your workflow:

1. You can rasterize lines to make them pixels at any point

2. If the main benefit of the pixel option for you was to prevent a bunch of new layers from being created as you drew the lines, you can hold down the shift key at the beginning of drawing the second line, and the second line will appear on the same layer as the first line. That technique may effectively give you the result you may be looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply but this needlessly adds a layer of difficulty. Completely disrupts workflow. Its impossible to explain but I guarantee you will be inundated with complaints on this one. Maybe just have a legacy option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stroke now handles the job of Weight, and weight was removed; you can stroke a line to any width, just as you did a weight.

You may not see the stroke if your stroke alignment is not centered our outside, so check on that.

If you want an arrow that has a separate fill and stroke, you can use a Layer Effect, like this:

strokestroke-1f5c0ee9-3697-4656-9c56-2fa38bda0a6f-615037525.png
The arrow you drew in the first example can be drawn with a white fill and white stroke, and a black stroke layer effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha; thanks for the feedback, Jeremy, and sorry again for the workflow bump; I do understand how something that sounds minor can have a major impact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pixel is Grayed out.
2020.10.23_SS_G_0000-03e748bb-66d2-42fa-b2f5-ba6f2c100dcf-1966516137.jpg
2020.10.23_SS_G_0001-dd6e0eb5-c606-4003-8b40-37dc2e9a5f0e-1967439658.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the shape layer and rasterise it. Use shift + tool to draw more shapes on the same layer. For freehand pen path, convert path to smart object and rasterise it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I rasterize, it just disappears. No lines show up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>now you have to hit enter to commit the choice.

It's been like that for a long time (in Windows) and it drives me crazy too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to set the stroke options for the stroke type that you want and you need to make sure that the stroke width is > 0 . The default is that no style is set.

CleanShot20201023at17.43.312x-76126c53-3f3a-49ce-8abc-e22e59bf1f61-1670493256.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be that the confusion here is that the Line thickness, while yes is controlled now by Stroke, the stroke weight option doesn't appear to do anything until you set the Stroke Options to either Center or Outside. 

ScreenShot20201023at11.45.07AM-8ccd2201-aa03-4367-90d5-5a1292d06edb-888936862.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Mark, for your empathic responses to these issues. It's refreshing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know. Would be better to make the parameters for the arrowhead editable in the properties panel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ericpwl13 , to clarify, Stroke is how you adjust the width of your lines, now; the ability is not gone.

Let me know if you have a workflow that is stumping you and I'll be happy to see whether that capability is moved or removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, @charles_uebele , 100% agree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, until the line tool arrow features can be edited in the properties panel, you  an use the script at this link to edit the arrowheads.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/forums/editpage/board-id/photoshop/message-id/476338

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" the pixel option disappeared not because we wanted to remove it, but because the lines were redefined as two end points instead of a four-pointed rectangle, and two point lines by definition have no width to stroke (path tool is the the same way)."

While conceptually this may make sense, representationally it does not.  Any time a line is represented in a drawing it must by definition have width! 

The problem goes beyond how many layers the new process creates.  Instead of attaching the arrowheads at the end of the line, it overlaps the line so that the sides of the rectangle stick out of the sides of the arrowheads. 

Image is not available

Can't you just put it back the way it was?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting and access denied message there, Chuck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked; thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using photoshop eight hours a day for twenty five years now, so anything that happened in the last five years or so still counts as recent to me 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed as a work around. Still would like to get a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeremy Plant 

I've been getting the feeling that they definitely do not understand the concept art workflow, or if they do understand it they do not care - since the number of updates that have been relevant to the concept art community has been verging on zero for at least a decade. How much longer do we have to wait before the brush engine gets an update, for example? It's a shame because concept artists are Photoshop's power users, not photographers.  Extremely heavy duty photo editing is extremely light weight concept art.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@YVerloc And extremely heavy concept artwork is lightweight retouching 😉  But i 100% agree that Adobe should be focused on improving the lives of those who use Photoshop for eight hours a day, every day, year after year, and who have businesses and families that all depend on us getting our jobs done. Small disruptions to our professional workflows can have a profound impact on our lives and those around us too.
While we may be the minority of users, the time we spend using the app dwarfs all the other groups combined.

Votes

Translate

Translate