• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 23.0 - cannot open TIF files, generated in other programs

Guide ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starting from version 22.5.2 Photoshop stopped opening some tif files. The issue is related to a previously discovered vulnerability, the escalation of which, under certain conditions, may lead to arbitrary code execution - Adobe Security Bulletin.

Important: The problem is not with Photoshop, but with third-party software developers who do not keep track of current TIF specifications

A temporary solution to the problem is to convert files in third-party editors that completely update the structure of TIF files (for example, xnView, ImageMagik, etc.); such files can also be converted using the Camera Raw plug-in (via Bridge).

We all hope that Adobe can solve this problem and find a way to bring third-party files to modern standard. But I recommend that you independently contact the developers of programs whose files Photoshop cannot open. Notify them of the problem, recommend to contact @J453 using this community. Jeffrey can provide technical information to developers to solve this problem.

List of apps that have problems (according to your feedback):

There are no problems (or solved):

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Hi all,  

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.1. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating  

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

If you're still having trouble with TIFFs created/saved by software that's still being developed, please share the following information with them:

Photoshop’s TIFF parser had a buffer overrun security vulnerability in its synthesized calculation of the Image File Directory entry RowsPerStrip (278).

The fix for that was to reject TIFF files that did not provide the required RowsPerStrip (278) entry. Under the rationale that this IFD entry is required, as per the TIFF specification.

We have

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

This change was originally made to reject Tiff files that lacked an attribute which could pose a security risk. Engineering is working on a change to amend that behavior to calculate the missing attribute when not provided, but only under the constraint that the calculation can be made with fidelity and not cause the security vulnerability.

For now, you can install the prior version to open tiffs from a trusted source. Install previous versions of your Creative Cloud apps

We'll update this t

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 200 Replies 200
200 Comments
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem but "not the right type of document," captured as TIF in 2018: can't see how to attach file, large TIFF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Windows 10 Pro with v.22.5.2. I could not open @Nousberg's file (M4313F.tif) either.

As a test, I opened the file with Acrobat DC and then used Export to > Image > TIFF with a new file name. I opened that file in PS. It came in as Image > Mode > Grayscale @ 8 Bits/channel. I changed to 32 Bits/Channel, resaved, and the file opened without problems, remaining in 32 Bits.

If this file had any layers they didn't export automatically. Don't know if this is a temporary workaround for anyone but I add it as a possibility.

JainLemos_0-1635542338435.png

JainLemos_1-1635542496521.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@FilmNTexas I just read your post. I also had to revert from 23 back to 22.5.2 (for different reasons). See my comment in this thread about opening the 32 Bit file in Acrobat DC and then exporting back to .tif. Seems to work as a temporary fix, at least on that one file. Let us know how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem.  Photoshop v. 22.5.1 opened the files fine, but they won't open in the most recent update.  The files were processed with an open source software called Scan Tailor, used for processing book images.  The files are typically 1 bit or 8 bit uncompressed TIFFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. TIFF files from Deep Sky Stacker that I was able to open a few days ago can no longer be opened in either of the two versions of PS that are currently available. As a workaroud I have to open the files in GIMP, export them (as TIFF files) and then open in PS. Not what I'm paying for. Is it time to cancel PS and invest in Pixinsight?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My thoughts too, but I use Lightroom for photography and I've paid for certain Astro related plug-ins in PS. Hopefully Adobe will resolve this soon in the meantime I'll try your GIMP solution thanks👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's true! There is no option to Drag & Drop a file in Idea & Bugs sections when you post in already created thread. I'm going to report it to an employee that's in touch with Forum developers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. Are you planning to solve the problem or should you stop using PS?

This is the message when activating PS

Sin título-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, yesterday everything worked perfectly. I did the update today and I got this problem. I have now reverted to the previous version but the problem persists. I do astrophotography and I use starnet++ to create a starless layer and it's this created tif file that I can't open anymore. I can still open a tif file created by deepskystacker. I don't know why this is happening. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly, the 16 starnet ++ files are also not open by PS. The problem is that Camera Raw was updated and you cannot go back to a previous version of Camero Raw when everything worked OK. Above I have been told that the problem is not Camera RAW but I insist that it is. You can enter Camera RAW preferences and open the Satarnet ++ files, above I indicate how.
Greetings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Bridge installed, then you can open tif files with it (via the "edit with camera raw"). This way still works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found another way. Open the tif file with Lightroom Classic and save it again and you can open that tif file in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After I found this problem, I started using ImageMagik to convert TIF to TIF.
Optionally, you can configure batch processing of all files in directory.

convert 1.tif *.tif

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Anthonius92 yes that works thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have encountered the same problem described here, but similar to others in this thread, the TIFF files that Photoshop 23.0 cannot open are produced as output from an astrophotography image processing application called Starnet++.  In essence, the workflow from original file to conflicting file is Deep Sky Stacker 32-bit/ch TIFF  > Photoshop to edit and save a 16-bit/ch flattened TIFF > Starnet++ to process and output a starless image also in 16-bit/ch TIFF > Photshop file open failure.  I provide a more detailed description, related files inclusive of resaved copies that were opened successfully in Lightroom Classic, ThumbsPlus 10, and Luminar 4, and a video illustrating the workflow in a folder that may be accessed at PS2022-v23-astroTIFFfail. Hopefully this will be of help to Adobe in a quick resolution of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSerror.jpg

I have exactly the same problem and error message when trying to open files processed by starnet++. This worked fine pre PS 23.0. Starnet++ is a trusted software widely used by the astrophotography community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the starless tif file from StarNet++ with Lightroom Classic and save it back as tif file and you can open it back in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks. I did exactly that and was then able open the starless file. But then I was unable to "apply" the starless image to the original...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue, Deep Sky Stacker is the program that created the 16bit tif. Althpough I'm thinking this is a bigger issue, and not with the program that made the tif. 10-30 Flaming Star Nebula Stack.TIF

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like wise same problem .tif files opened yesterday not opening today after upgrade to ps23

old TarantulastarlessO.tif

any long term solutions that dont involve resaving the image elsewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with Tifs produced by DeepSkyStacker. 
I don't expect to have to use workarounds when paying a subscription Adobe, please can you rectify the problem. 
Thankyou.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem after updating yesterday to version 23. After enlarging images using On1 and saving tifs, they won't open in PS (getting a message that it "isn't the right kind of document). Previously processed and saved tifs using the same program (On1) open fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently there are some who have seen issues with PS2022 (v23.0) not opening TIFF files created in Deep Sky Stacker, and not simply having issues with files saved from Starnet++.  I have seen no issues with Deep Sky Stacker, using the default 32-bit/ch uncompressed TIFF file (FITS is an option, but is not a file format normally usable in Photoshop, thus the choice to use TIFF) that is automatically saved upon completion of stacking.  Reading the FAQs for DSS, I learned that 32-bit/ch TIFF files may be saved in a Rational or Integer type, and the author of DSS stated that rational must be used for Photoshop.  Regardless, I resaved the default file to a 32-bit/ch file for both data types, and again PS2022 successfully opened them both, so it seems the DSS FAQ is outdated and Photoshop can open 32-bit TIFFs of either data type.  I proceeded on with each file to process them in Starnet++ under the following test cases:

1. From PS2022, save the original DSS 32-bit/ch Rational TIFF as a flattened file with a save option for 16-bits/channel and repeat, for each of the Uncompressed, LZW Compressed, and ZIP Compressed options.
  2. Repeat the same but convert via Image > Mode > 16 bits/ch before performing the save...I expect this is the same as a mode change during a save but uncertain, so this was done.
    3. & 4. Repeat the prior two test cases but for the DSS 32-bit/ch Rational TIFF source file.

These test cases yielded 12 files for processing with Starnet++, which requires a 16-bit/ch TIFF file as input.  All 12 files were successfully processed and the resulting files opened in Photshop 2022, but all 12 files failed to open, the error being the same "not the right kind of document" message.

For myself, Starnet++ is the only application I use that produces a TIFF file that prior to Photoshop 2022, Photoshop could open the file without an issue.  As it seems the problem may apply to a few select other applications, such as ColorChecker24 or FotoProsto (presumably the OP's applications), and reportedly even Deep Sky Stacker for some users, then it certainly seems the root cause of the problem has occurred in Photoshop 2022 itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing the post from pcollinz regarding ON1, I can confirm the same problem exists when opening, editing, and resaving a TIFF file in ON1 Effects Standalone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once my Lightroom Classic updated that no longer worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate