• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 23.2.2 Can't open/update vector smart object in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just today, I updated to macOS Monterey and now I am having problems opening vector smart objects in Photoshop files. If Illustrator is closed, when I double click the smart object (or choose edit contents) Illustrator will launch but the file will not open. 

If Illustrator is open and I try to open the smart object, I get a Mac error window that says "The application "Adobe Illustrator 2022" can't be opened" with a -1703 error code. 

I'm using Photoshop 23.2.1 and Illustrator 26.0.3, which I went back to after seeing the problem first occur in 26.1. 

The computer is iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch 2019  |  3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9  |  macOS Monterey 12.3

Thanks in advance

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

This should be resolved in macOS 12.3.1 that just went out.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 234 Replies 234
234 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated and installed the latest Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
In macOS version 12.2.1, both software worked fine.
When I updated macOS 12.3, Photoshop is unable to open and edit vector smart objects in Illustrator.
This made my work inconvenient and even fatally wrong.
I contacted apple support and they told me to reinstall macOS, which I thought was a joke. With everything unchanged, the system is the only variable.
But Adobe doesn't seem to be communicating with apple at the moment and I don't know when this issue will be resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding a point, the "Edit in Photoshop" button in Illustrator can jump to Photoshop normally.
Also, the person who replied to the solution in this thread didn't even try it himself, so how dare he say the solution?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/can-t-open-update-vector-smart-object-in-pho...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just a temporary solution but not a fix. Adobe and Apple should fix the bugs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the details. Engineering is working with Apple on a fix.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

I'm having a bit of a problem, apparently when I double-click any vector smart object in PS, any Illustrator file that is, I get this message "The application Adobe Illustrator 2022.app can't be opened." code -1703

This message appears regardless if Illustrator is open or closed.

This thing happens regardless if I'm connected to VPN or not.

Situation

• mac OS Monterey 12.3;

• Creative Cloud Suite 2022;

• all apps are updated and there is only one instance of them running on this machine, I don't have any old photoshops or illustrators on it;

• my computer is from work, so everything is updated and clean;

• we login everyday thru a VPN, so we can access font servers, servers, etc.

Context

• the only thing happened these days is that, coming from the mother company, we removed SEP, Symantec Endpoint Protection

Since then, this error appeared, so far 🙂

Any ideas anyone? Is verrrry annoying to not be able to double-click a vector in photoshop and edited in illustrator.

I appreciate any answer, thank you good people 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. this is absolutely killing me right now THIS NEEDS TO BE RESOLVED IMMEDIATELY!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem just now.Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 10.54.45 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found an workaround, kind of, right click on the layer and "export content", it will automatically export a pdf file. Just drag-n-drop that pdf to illustrator, then, of course, copy-paste that b*** back.

Yeah Adobe, we're all badass :))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey folks,

I am in contact with Adobe in a PM on Twitter, they have just replied to me after discussing the symptoms of the problem yesterday.

I'll keep you updated 🙂

Capture d’écran 2022-03-16 à 16.49.31.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem just now. Updated macOS 12.3 2 hours ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works as a temporary solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just today, I updated to macOS Monterey and now I am having problems opening vector smart objects in Photoshop files. If Illustrator is closed, when I double click the smart object (or choose edit contents) Illustrator will launch but the file will not open. 

If Illustrator is open and I try to open the smart object, I get a Mac error window that says "The application "Adobe Illustrator 2022" can't be opened" with a -1703 error code. 

I'm using Photoshop 23.2.1 and Illustrator 26.0.3, which I went back to after seeing the problem first occur in 26.1. 

The computer is iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch 2019  |  3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9  |  macOS Monterey 12.3

Thanks in advance

By @jeremyc10817366

This Works - as a workaround

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop won't open smart object anymore this happened after the last Monterey update.

Here the error message I get : The application “Adobe Illustrator 2022.app” can’t be opened. -1703.

Tried reinstalling illustrator and laptop but nothing work. Did a brand new ai files to do the work I got and still got the same problem when trying to open it from photoshop.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also tryed to do this in previous versions of photoshop and illustrator (version 2021 and 2020) and the same error ocured. So it is not presented only in new versions of photoshop and illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is dumb and not a great solve but if you right click on the layer in Photoshop you can Export the Contents to your desktop and then open that in Illustrator. Servicable workaround, but this needs fixed ASAP

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also experiencing the same problem, please have this fixed! I am also on Monterey

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there updates to this fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only work around I found is to drop the ai file into the Libraries panel. Then drop the file into photoshop from the Libraraies panel in Photoshop. It will open up in ai to edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All. 

After I updated the macOS Monterey to ver 12.3 I'm having a problem opening a smart object in Photoshop. The smart object is copied from the AI file. When I open it, it says: 

The application “Adobe Illustrator 2022” can’t be opened. - 1703

I'm using AI 26.1 and PS 23.2.2 versions. MacBook Apple Silicon.

Hope this will be fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot open my smart object from PS that link to AI after updated latest update of macOS monterey 12.3 for my m1... its pop up 'The application “Adobe Illustrator 2022” can’t be opened.'... hope this will fix soon... PS ver23.3.3 and AI ver26.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kann mir da jemand helfen? weiss nicht mehr weiter?

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-17 um 12.27.07.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monterey 12.3?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monterey 12.3 und alle aktuellen Adobe Programme. Das passiert bei alten Datein aber auch bei neu aufgebauten...?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Das ist ein Problem, das bereits einige andere berichtet haben, die auf Monterey 12.3 unterwegs sind.

Es scheint jedoch nicht jeden zu betreffen.

Es gibt bestimmt einen Report unter http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Dort würde ich mich dranhängen: den Report unterstützen und eigene Ergänzungen dazuschreiben falls nötig.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same error. I think its related to the macOS 12.3 update. I'm on Intel, so it's not specific to Apple Silicon. I see people have posted on Apple's forums as well, so it looks like we need a fix on either Adobe or Apple on this.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate