• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 23.2.2 Can't open/update vector smart object in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just today, I updated to macOS Monterey and now I am having problems opening vector smart objects in Photoshop files. If Illustrator is closed, when I double click the smart object (or choose edit contents) Illustrator will launch but the file will not open. 

If Illustrator is open and I try to open the smart object, I get a Mac error window that says "The application "Adobe Illustrator 2022" can't be opened" with a -1703 error code. 

I'm using Photoshop 23.2.1 and Illustrator 26.0.3, which I went back to after seeing the problem first occur in 26.1. 

The computer is iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch 2019  |  3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9  |  macOS Monterey 12.3

Thanks in advance

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

This should be resolved in macOS 12.3.1 that just went out.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 234 Replies 234
234 Comments
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The biggest concern is that how there is an update from Adobe with full of bugs and launch it without proper testing? These kind of issues are hapening from late 2018 whenevery there is any kind of update from Adobe, everything goes wrong.

I'm working on Mac OS 12.1 and everything was working perfectly. As soon I update
 Adobe Photoshop to 23.2.2 and Illustrator to 26.1, start having error that smart object cannot open in Illustrator 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple/Adobe. This is a major bug that needs fixing.

Even with a couple of work around options, it has slowed me to snail's pace. I imagine there are millions of us all pulling our hair out atm, this a really important fuctionality that's all of a sudden broken.

Please fix. Please fix quick. Please. Please. Please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting errors every time I double click on a smart object in Photoshop, to edit and the smart object is a Illustrator file. I have been doing this for tons of file and for years, but with last CC update, things are getting buggy.

Anyone seeing the same error?

Message in Photoshop:  The application "Adobe Illustrator 2022.app" can't be opened. -1703

Everything is up to date both MacOS and Creative Cloud.

MacOS 12.3  /  64gb memory  /  Mac Pro 2013 3.7ghz / 1tb SSD

Adobe Photoshop 23.2.2

Adobe Illustrator 26.1.0

Thanks for any help!!!

Arlen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHY ISN'T THIS FIXED YET!!!!!! it's going on 2 weeks now, Adobe should be working around the clock until this is resolved!!!!!! this is a flagship program!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only workaround @David237254571doo ? Please see @ogutuie workaround of creating a path to the Tempory folder the AI lives in when you double click it. I'm not going to use the Library since I have to hand off files. And I'm not going to edit AI files and then bring them back in to PS since that mean, rescaling, repositioning and possibly readding layer effects as well as blending modes. Opening the AI file in the temp folder allows you to edit it, save it and PS will auto update as it use to. Only a couple extra steps but at least it brings functionality back. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far none of the suggested fixes work for me. I have way to many projects in the works to open, save smart object as another file, when I have duplicates of same Smart Objects in one file to create apparel designs. Normally... when I edit one smart object, all the duplicates update but keep all their effect, filter, adjustsments. If I "save the smart object" as a new ".ai" file, everything else becomes a mess and file is useless. 

I also tried to re-install backwards to PS version 22.5.6 (2021) and it still is given me the same error.  So using older versions does not work. Makes me think it may be more on MacOS update.  ?? 

Hoping for resolution soon... lossing days of work that is being put aside till fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we need this fix ASAP, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this workaround from @ogutuie is the best fix of anything mentioned here (for my workflow, at least) I frequently have multiple vector smart objects in PSD docs. did some testing and it works well. as suggested, i have created a shortcut to the temp file - i made an alias and added it to my sidebar for quick access (see scren grab). so i just double click the lyaer, ignore the error messgae, then go to the finder and click on my alias, and open the vector file. OBVIOUSLY we need this fixed, but for now at least I am not being kneecapped by this really annoying bug.Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 12.29.33 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2022. OS Monterey 12.3.

Placing a smart object, vector file, from AI in PS. When i double click on the smart object layer in PS to open in AI i get this error message. please advise.error -1703.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the trouble with Photoshop 2022 as you try to open smart objects. We understand your concern.

Thanks for reporting the issue; a few more users have reported something similar. The team is investigating this, and we will soon try to resolve it.

We're here to help.

{Moving this thread to the Primary one to keep track.}

Regards.

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i'm working with this procedure

1.Drag to CC library

2.You can open it with the link of CC library, so fix it in this state

3.Perform property embedding after selecting a layer to return to the embedded object from the CC libler link after modification

photo_t.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No help on my end. This is really a problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is ETA for this fix????

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE, Adobe!  This is a serious problem. No idea why this is happening or how to fix. Wiped all and downgraded back to older versions of both Photoshop AND Illustrator. Problem continues. 

-1703.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, its been about 2 weeks now since the 1st complaint and still no proper solution.

Apple, Adobe, please HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems a problem of macOS 12.3.

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/702315

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Facing the same issue after monterey mac update.  has this issue been solved yet. My work really depends on this feature i use it a lot. 

Screenshot-2022-03-28-at-6.43.59-PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really quite done with this.... last week I could not save in Illustrator and now I can't use smartobject.... I pay mounthly to be able to use two software for work and there are constant problems. Last time I updfate any of this [removed by moderator].

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you 誠浅84032462, for your solution!

It's unfortunate that these app "developers" cannot or will-not, roll out stable and consistant updates to the programs. Although this is a great work-around, the application obviously needs fixing. Are you listening Adobe? or is that not part of your business model anymore? Was it ever?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue on Mac os12.3 Macbook Pro M1 (Max)Schermata 2022-03-28 alle 17.27.57.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nearly 15 days later, still no update whatsoever... Adobe, this is not serious at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an open issue. I just tried installing older version of both apps as some suggested and have now lost all of my preferenced and actions even though I specified to keep them. UGH. I depend on this working!

please fix!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. I am 99% sure it is due to Mac OS upgrade to Monterey. I start having this issue as soon as I upgraded. Also the workaround suggested, I where is "Save as Linked File" – I am unable to see it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to make changes to Vector Smart Object in AI but it is giving me the following error with the number '-1703'. This has made my workflow very very challenging. Please help here, I also tried reinstalling both the software after deleting all preferences files as well! 

I use Adobe CC 22 on Mac OS 12.3. 

Screenshot 2022-03-29 at 11.33.10 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate