• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 23.2.2 Can't open/update vector smart object in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just today, I updated to macOS Monterey and now I am having problems opening vector smart objects in Photoshop files. If Illustrator is closed, when I double click the smart object (or choose edit contents) Illustrator will launch but the file will not open. 

If Illustrator is open and I try to open the smart object, I get a Mac error window that says "The application "Adobe Illustrator 2022" can't be opened" with a -1703 error code. 

I'm using Photoshop 23.2.1 and Illustrator 26.0.3, which I went back to after seeing the problem first occur in 26.1. 

The computer is iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch 2019  |  3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9  |  macOS Monterey 12.3

Thanks in advance

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

This should be resolved in macOS 12.3.1 that just went out.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 234 Replies 234
234 Comments
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, have yout tried to completely uninstall and reinstall the CC with this tool?

https://helpx.adobe.com/en/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really annoying, been freaking 2 weeks time and everyday i back to this thread I see no solutions but instead seeing more people bringing it up. Hello half months gone since this problem brought up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe just release Illustrator v26.2 update, and this did not fix the problem. So whether Adobe really did not fix this in Illustrator, or it is an exclusive Photoshop issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I posted here initially, I also posted on Apple Communities, people there say it might be Apple's fault.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253747408?answerId=257086389022&cid=em-com-apple_watches_email_...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had some success this morning creating a CC library for whatever project I was working on and then adding the Vector Smart object to the library from Photoshop. Then I went into Ilustrator and opened the graphic file and made my edits. Once I hit save all the changes were updated back in the Photoshop file. Only downside I can see that depending on workload you could end up with a lot of librabries. Hope this helps some folks out. 

As a quick note the graphic file preview thumbnail was initally grey and stretched. After editing and saving it in Ai the graphic showed properly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe this is a serious problem. My entire workload depends on it. people may be using this program more complex than you imagine and two weeks have passed and no solution has been found. it really shows that adobe is frivolous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I have to update all my old works in 50 different artboard works for about 4 brands, I have to spend extra work on this. please solve this situation immediately. very bad impression for adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE. Please wee need fixit. We need it for our work. What should we tell clients now? It's been 2 weeks. We pay for legal software and rely on functionality. In addition, not all shortcuts have been working for some time. Adobe really need smart object to work and be compatible (photoshop / Illustrator)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we at least get a status update from someone at Adobe about this issue? This is seriously slowing down workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bad joke, how is it possible that you guys had this report a month ago! and still haven't fixed it, Steve Jobs said that Adobe was a lazy company, and it looks like he was damn right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

¿Tardarán mucho en solucionarlo? Este problema ralentiza enormemente mi flujo de trabajo...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It makes me laugh how so many people are saying it's a Monteray issue. Adobe has reproduced the issue in-house and that is somehow Apple's fault... if Adobe can replicate the issue they shipped a broken piece of software!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix it quickly it's really annoying .......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a Monterrey issue. I downgraded my Mac to Big Sur because I can't wait for a fix and every version of AI and PS do work with Smart Objects, only if you're using 12.3 it is not working. It definetly is Apples fault on this one (I think by removing Python 2.7, but don't quote me on that, I'm not a Programmer), but this does not excuse Adobes behavior of not giving status updates and not fixing it for multiple weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please solve this issue ASAP. Its a really important feature. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is another temporary solution to this problem. When you insert a smart object, check the box "Add to my current library".  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a subsriber to this thread, I keep seeing the Library add work around over and over as a work around. If you use the CC Library, good for you. There are a lot of reasons many of us do NOT use the Library so its not a workaround. A couple times I've tried to point folks to a very elegant work around for those of us who don't want the Library solution so I'll repost @ogutuie nice solution here again for the newer folks that have come here after the 14th when origainly posrted. 

- - - - - - 

b) whenever you doubleclick the object, Photoshop will create a temporary file, that means the following steps:

doubleclick the smart object - get the error - ignore the error - go to photoshop temporary files - open the file in Illustrator - edit - save - it will automatically autoupdate in Photshop.

How to safely get to Photoshop Temporary Files Folder: open Terminal - insert command: open $TMPDIR - you should find the folder named Adobe Photoshop 2022 (or the version in use) - you could make a shortcut of that folder on your desktop for easy acces.

- - - - - - - 

I have added this Temporary Folder "Adobe Photoshop 2022 to the sidebar menu of a Finder Window so its a simple single click to get to where the AI file lives after getting the error box to pop up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'd missed that work around. Seems the best way for existing smart objects not in the library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, glad it could help! Went back to the original post to see if I could select it to add to the list of "2 Correct answers" to get it to the top of the page. Figured I couldn't do it to my own post, but assuming it takes an Adobe Comm. Admin to do that. @J453 could you take a look at pinning this work around to help some folks while engineering is working on that fix. THANKS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FROM ADOBE:

It's on the Apple side with a change in 12.3. We are working with them on it. Keep checking for macOS updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still a persistent issue that directly affects my everyday
workflow. Any word on resolution?

Thanks!
Lynn Stoecklein

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@clif_CROP  Best work around yet, thank you!

Helps me stay in my normal work flow without having to file manage each psd.

Some Tips:

• Make sure photoshop is open and you have a file with smart objects in them and then try to edit your smart object to get the error. (Sometimes the folder wont show up until you do these steps)
  • All functions work the same even "new smart object via copy" it will add a new vector object to that Temp photoshop folder and you can edit them independently just like you could before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#BS - Apple makes an operating system, it's the software developers' code that is the issue. Apple didn't make photoshop/illustrator. That's like blaming the people who make the roads for bad drivers who cause crashes! Ridiculous!

Adobe has made this excuse since Photoshop 2... How about they spend some of the millions of dollars they charge customers every month, to test the software they make before rolling it out? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You made my day… I've a lot of files with smart objects for web icon or favicons development – some object in different sizes – and normaly it takes me five min to change a hole icon set with just four or five smart objets. If you hadn't had that in-between solution, I'd be sitting at my laptop even longer than I do anyway. Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate