Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1: V.23.3
2: Microsoft 10
3:
Open multiple files. (4+ files)
Window -> Arrange -> 4-UP
a: Open new file into windowspace of active window.
b: Change active window between the 4-up windows.

4: Expected result-
If docked, the windowsize remain constant, unless user actively resize the window.
When shifting between active windows/workfiles, the windowsize remain constant unless user actively resize the window. Image stay at the chosen size percentage as per users setting (i.e. if it opens at 100% zoom, that's fine, but if I set it to "fit screen", or "x%" it should stay there when changing active window).
Actual result-
Every, single, time that a new active window is chosen, whether because a new file was opened, or because a new active window was chosen, the 4 windows on the screen are resized. The resize makes the active window fit as much of the physical screen (the display) as possible towards the 100% zoom view.
The image also defaults to 100% zoom. This happend everytime a new active window is chosen.

Hi,

I work with Photoshop on a daily basis. I usually work with several files open at the same time. Referencematerial as well as workfiles. 
To do so, I work with a 4-up setup.

Before the update, I would open files as I went, and move them around to the desired space I was working in. A big part of my work also involves sharing parts of muy screen as I work, meaning I need certain parts to NOT be shared. This was not a problem before, as I could share certain percentages of my screen.

However, since the update yesterday I find that anytime I switch the "active" window in Photoshop, and anytime I load a new file, it will resize the window to the max size of that particular file.
Even if the image is in a docked state.

I.e. I have four files up files on my screen. I click on one of them, and the window it is in will resize to fit the full image, at 100% size.
I activate another image, and _that_ window will resize to 100% size of that image.

Every time I click on a different imge, it will resize it to 100% and resize the workspace.

Is there any wy to avoid this? This is causing serious issues for me as it makes it difficult to actually perform my job....

Let me reiterate-
My work mean I have to share he screen on occasion. This means the shared screen is extremely confusing to clients and colleagues. It also means that sometimes things that are under NDA will/would be seen.
On top of this, it causes serious issues in my productivity as I constantly need to resize/zoom the work window.

Can I adjust this in some setting?
Is this a known problem?
Can this be fixed ASAP- I am loosing money on this!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.4.2. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.4.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating   

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.  

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

This issue is being worked on.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
59 Comments
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Have you tried updating to version 23.3.1, you're a couple of updates out with version 23.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating to 23.3.1 won't help, while the bug was introduced in 23.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

When I have multiple windows open, viewing them via Tile All Vertically, and I open a new window, why does that new window open/expand into the majority of the space? It seems this was updated within the past update and set as a new default.

I've tried researching how to change it but not sure if I have the correct terminology because I haven't been successful in finding any info.

Does anyone have this same issue and know how to fix it?

Thank you. Kari.

Working on MacOS Catalina, Photoshop 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I often use 2-up horizontal to separate documents. Usually when I enable the 2-up arrangement, photoshop would evenly size 2 windows, one above and one below, where I could arrange whatever documents I want. When switching between these opened docs either by using the shortcut (cmd/ctrl+tab) or clicking the tabs, my 2 windows would remain even, around half my screen each and just switch to the document I selected. For a while now I have uneven windows when switching to certain tabs. Sometimes, the window on top takes the whole screen and I have to manually resize the bottom set of tabs all the time when switching between documents. I tested the vertical 2-up as well and the same happens, some tabs become very narrow, basically closed. This makes 2-up useless, please save me.

Here are screenshots to illlustrate. I may have changed a setting somewhere to have it behave this way but I can't find it anywhere. 
This is just after enabling 2-up horizontal, so far so good. Tabs are even. 

Sbastien5E7F_0-1651676655095.png

I then click the "untitled-1" doc and the bottom window automatically resizes to nothingness, making the layout useless 😞 

Sbastien5E7F_1-1651676827538.png

If I had 3 tabs at the bottom in this example, the window "size ratio" would be different depending on which tabs I have selected at the top/bottom and need to be manually dragged to make the windows even in each case. I would like them to remain even all the time and If I choose to change the proportion between the top and bottom section, that they remain like I set them no matter which document is selected. 

Thanks,
Seb. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lo sta facendo anche a me, hai per caso risolto in qualche modo? Grazie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.

I'm also on MacOS, Monterey, iMac, Photoshop 23.3.1.

I have a keyboard shortcut to "Tile All Vertically," so, as a workaround, I do the shortcut, after Photoshop expands the window, which brings the windows back to equal size.

Allan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens after using any one of the 2-up, 3-up, 4-up, 6-up options. If I have multiple files open, I can't move back and forth between the tiles without them being resized each and every time. There's no apparent logic to why this happens either. It's incredibly annoying and costs valuable time. Also of note...this never use to be an issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This report is for Photoshop version 23.3.1 20220419.r.426 4d24a4c x64.

When a new file is read into two files arranged next to each other, the new file should take the place of the image with focus. The windows for the 2 files should remain the same size this has worked properly for many years. It is broken in the new release of Photoshop 22.

Please see these images. The first is with Window/Arrange/2 up vertical. I then used File/open/ selected a new file that will appear on top of one of the images. Note the width of the windows changed.

This process has worked properly for years. It is broken in the new version.

mwakshull_0-1651941993242.png

This has the new image on the left side. The left window widened while the right window is narrow and does not display the full image.

mwakshull_1-1651941993276.png

Selecting Window/Arrange/ 2 up vertical fixes the appearance.

mwakshull_2-1651941993321.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reported this issue to Adobe tec support via phone. The technician replicated the problem. Hopefully they will fix this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Photoshop Version: 23.3.2 20220503.r.458 d8a9c44 x64 was released today. The 2-up vertical command still resizes the windows when a new file (3rd) is read into one of the windows. This bug is not fixed.

Please fix this so I can stop using the 2020 version.

I posted this last week. Many people relied they hae the same problem. The Adobe support person replicated the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirm that. They fixed 'Fit to Screen' after they broke that introducing correct behaviour for overesizing content of  window when few others are open and arranged. Now the behaviour for fitting to screen in one window from few open works correctly, but the other behaviour described in this thread, which worked as should, is still broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a fix for this workflow halting issue of resizing the tab/window when opening a new document.
I often arrange my workspace to have reference/modelsheets open, but each time I open a new document I have to resize the windows again to my preferred 'workspace' this halts workflow vastly.

(!! this is not the 'zoom resizes windows' issue)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been "normal" behavior for PS for quite some time.  It's meant to keep a standard interface appearance regardless of the image you're viewing.   Maybe development would consider a radio button to disable that but there would have to be some thought to all the windows or images that are being opened would actually fit in the area the user supplies with their first window.  Things could get very messy for the user if the images they opened went from low res pixel size to high res giga pixel size.  

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I previously reported this bug. When the subrelease was installed, the problem still exists. When there ate two or more images displayed, reading a new file into one of the windows causes the windows to resize. This bug is new to 23.3. In the history of CS and CC, thie windows did not resize. Please fix this bug. I have returned to CC 2020 to resolve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is being worked on.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really great to hear. Thanks, Mr. T.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My report has _not_ been a thing for a long time. In fact, I'm currently "stuck" at 23.1 because it wasn't/isn't an issue there. Essentially, until this issue is fixed, I can't update Photoshop because it ruins my workflow too much. And the issue was not present in the version before 23.3.

David Sondered

[Personal information removed for your protection on a public forum]

Disclaimer:This e-mail is confidential and intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not an addressee please promptly notify the sender and delete the message. Do not use the content in any other way. All messages sent to and from this professional e-mail address will be automatically archived to ensure compliance with internal policy of the company. In accordance with the applicable laws and regulations, this e-mail may be read by other employees of the company. By using this professional e-mail address, you are considered to acknowledge and agree to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to hear this issue is being worked on. Having to see windows (tabs) changing dimensions every time you click on a different tab is annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks evereyone for your posts. This issue will be fixed in an upcoming release, so please keep an eye out for it in the future and let the team know if it solves your issues.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fingers crossed this fix is in 23.4.2. It can't come too soon for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear this is being worked on. It's a huge problem for me, as I tend to have 20 images open at once, and having to resize each one is a distracting and frustrating waste of time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same very frustrating issue. In ANY view over 1 up, 2-4 up window view the main window pushes everything over to be smaller and smaller so in the end it is NOT 2 up or 4 up window view. This is very frustrating for retouching or anything at all to do with Photoshop. I just updated to V 23.41 and it is still an issue. Can someoen please help with this?? This is a profesional issue. Are ther new key commands we don't know of?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Adobe dudes for finally fixing this in 23.4.2!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.4.2. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.4.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating   

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.  

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate