• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 23 - Gradient map adjustment layer bug

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I make PSD file in Photoshop 23 with gradient map adjustment layer and then place into Indesign, adjustment layer is ignored.

When I open same PSD file in Photoshop 22, gradient map adjustment layer is broken (discarded as uknown data).

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Hello @ashoks56750080 , I apologize for the inconvenience this is causing. If a document created in Ps 23.1.1 contains Gradient Maps with Perceptual or Linear interpolation methods, when this document is open in Ps 22.5.5 a warning message will be displayed.

The message reads "This document contains a gradient map rendered using a method that is not available in this version of Photoshop, which may alter the appearance of the document. In order to ensure consistent rendering, please flatten the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Hello, please make sure the most recent versions of Photoshop have been installed for version 23.x and version 22.5.x.

When opening a document with a Gradient Map created in most recent version of 23.x in version 22.5.4 or newer, the interpolation method of the gradient map defaults to Classic.

If this is not what is happening, please provide steps on the workflow you are doing and we'll investigate. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate
37 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. it seems the problem is also incompatibility with older versions of photoshop.

If a version 23 .PSD that has a gradient map adjustment layer, is opened in let's say version 20 of photoshop, the adjustment layer is ignored and replaced by a blank layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open Photoshop 23.0.0
2. Create a new file
3. Add a Gradient Map Adjustment layer
4. Save the file as .psd
5. Open a prior version of Photoshop e.g. 22.5.1
6. Try to open the saved file

The prior version of Photoshop will give you an error that it cannot open the file (see attached screenshot).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes..guys please fix this!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have discovered there is a new option on gradient map adjustmen layer panel.

Switched to Classic mode everething works as previously.

It would be very nice if Adobe mentioned those small changes.

And would be very very nice, if Classic mode was default option not to confuse users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no it doesnt work even when you switch to classic...if you bring the file into a previous version it doesnt create the gradient map at all..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for bringing this up to us and I apologize for the inconvenience this is causing. I see there are 2 issues here: 1) opening a document with a gradient map in a previous version of Ps turns it into a blank layer, 2) A document with a Gradient map created in earlier versions of Ps is defaulting the interpolation method to Pereptual instead of keeping it as Classic. 

We are working on fixes for these issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right.

It is strange, but I would swear I opened file with classic method in old version, and also indesign could read it, but today I can't make it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Claudia...we appreciate that...also the program is freezing without recovering the file when you aplly a gradient map in a smart object with some layer style... if you could fix that too....😅

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for reporting. Engineering is investigating. 

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@isidorekol We can look into this. Could you provide a sample file that is causing the issue? and also provide the System Info file. This can be found in Ps > Help > System Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm appling gradient map adjustment layers using the latest version 23.0 on Win 10 pro and then save as psd.

If I try to open the psd with the previous version 22.5 (aka PS 2021) the gradient map layers are not supported and there are two options: opening keeping all the layers, but it means have an emptied layer instead of the gradient map layer or, second option, collapse the layer into a single one rasterized.

Is this a bug or else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeffrey, for your help! I'm still getting confident with the new version and I missed this detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Jeffrey, unfortunatelly I think there is anyway a bug. The "Gradient Fill" as you mentioned is perfectly supported in the previous version, as you said, if setted in Classic method but I was talking about the "Gradient Map" adjustment layer and this one seems like having compatibily problems even if in Classic method.

Please, could you check on PS 23.0 applying a "Gradient Map" (not gradient fill) on an image using the Classic method, save it as psd and open in PS 22.5? On my version is not recognized and supported. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully confirm your information.
There are two significant problems with the new gradient map now :

1) Opening files created in older versions, Ps 23 for some reason sets all Gradient Maps to the new mode, and it ruins all the old projects.

2) Old versions are completely incompatible with the new Gradient Map, even if they use Classic mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a huge issue for our workflow, as many of our projects use gradient maps. Now we can't use the latest version of photoshop until we can open up our previous psds without our gradient map layers breaking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue where files created with a prior versions opened in 23.0.0 have a wrong new mode is fixed in 23.0.1 (they will open correctly with Classic as their mode). The issue where Gradient Maps created in the new version with Classic as their mode don't open correctly in prior versions is being investigated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. This is not a casual low impact bug for me - in my case this is very detrimental.

NOTE: This is in regards to Gradient Map Adjustment Layers, not Gradient Fill Layers.

I've tested Layer Style gradients and Gradient Fill Layers - both do NOT cause the problem. Gradient Map Adjustment Layers are the problem.

To reproduce the issue:

• Create a PSD in an earlier version of Photoshop that doesn't have the Gradient Map Adjustment Layer "Method" dropdown feature (I'm using Photoshop 20.0.10, because it's the most stable version I've found).

• Create a Gradient Map Adjustment Layer, set Method to Classic.

• Close Photoshop 23.0.1 and open said PSD in an earlier Photoshop version.

• You'll be greeted with this message upon opening the PSD:

If I select "Keep Layers", all Gradient Map Adjustment layers are converted into normal layers, thus ruining them, as you can see here: https://i.imgur.com/ijmiqYf.png 

Notice the layer named "Gradient Map 1".

___

I made the mistake of trusting Photoshop 23.0.1 with an important and complex Gradient Map Adjustment Layer reliant PSD and now must figure out how to redo all my coloring so I can use it in my "stable" version of Photoshop. Comical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Current patch 23.0.2 doesn't solve the problem with Gradient Map Adjustment layers.

Same steps to reproduce the issue, posted above, still result in pre v23 Photoshop versions being unable to open the affected PSD without requiring nullifying all Gradient Map Adjustment layers or flattening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just encountered this issue myself. Extremely annoying and a poor oversight by Adobe. 

The workaround i have just fathomed out is;

Open your file in PS 2022... double click into your Gradient Map adjustment.

Export the gradient map, giving it a name.

Open your file in PS 2021... Create a new Gradient map adjuentement above the ignored Gradient Map adjustment.

Import your Gradient Map and apply using the same recipe, layer mode etc.

The appearnace isn't exactly the same which is a shame but at least it isn't completely ignoring the adjustment!

Perhaps Adobe can be more rigourous in their Beta testing before putting their uses through this pain... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to version 23.1 today.
The problem is still not fixed...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Max Asabin wich Os? On Windows 10 Pro the bug seems fixed. I made different tests and everyhing looks fine, at least opening in the previous 2021 version 22.5.4. Pay attention: even the 2021 has received an update, so I'm not sure if the fix comes from the 2022 new release or the 2021...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New Photoshop version 23.1 on Windows 10 does NOT solve the problem.

PSDs with Gradient Map Adjustment layers (set to Classic mode) edited in 23.1 then opened in an earlier version of Photoshop cannot open with the Gradient Map Adjustment layers intact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe: Is there an update on when this will be fixed? It's causing considerable issues with my company's workflows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, is this fixed ? this is a major issue on our workflow wich is breaking it....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, please make sure the most recent versions of Photoshop have been installed for version 23.x and version 22.5.x.

When opening a document with a Gradient Map created in most recent version of 23.x in version 22.5.4 or newer, the interpolation method of the gradient map defaults to Classic.

If this is not what is happening, please provide steps on the workflow you are doing and we'll investigate. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate