• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 23 - Gradient map adjustment layer bug

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I make PSD file in Photoshop 23 with gradient map adjustment layer and then place into Indesign, adjustment layer is ignored.

When I open same PSD file in Photoshop 22, gradient map adjustment layer is broken (discarded as uknown data).

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Hello @ashoks56750080 , I apologize for the inconvenience this is causing. If a document created in Ps 23.1.1 contains Gradient Maps with Perceptual or Linear interpolation methods, when this document is open in Ps 22.5.5 a warning message will be displayed.

The message reads "This document contains a gradient map rendered using a method that is not available in this version of Photoshop, which may alter the appearance of the document. In order to ensure consistent rendering, please flatten the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Hello, please make sure the most recent versions of Photoshop have been installed for version 23.x and version 22.5.x.

When opening a document with a Gradient Map created in most recent version of 23.x in version 22.5.4 or newer, the interpolation method of the gradient map defaults to Classic.

If this is not what is happening, please provide steps on the workflow you are doing and we'll investigate. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate
37 Comments
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see many users mention the exact specific problem and the exact workflows to reproduce the error. Yet admins keep asking about what the specific issue is OR what the workflow is?? My company uses all updated versions of photoshop but the gradient map adjustment layer is lost between two updated users. THIS IS A HUGE BUG. Why isn't this fixed yet??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @ashoks56750080 , I apologize for the inconvenience this is causing. If a document created in Ps 23.1.1 contains Gradient Maps with Perceptual or Linear interpolation methods, when this document is open in Ps 22.5.5 a warning message will be displayed.

The message reads "This document contains a gradient map rendered using a method that is not available in this version of Photoshop, which may alter the appearance of the document. In order to ensure consistent rendering, please flatten the image in Photoshop 2022."

The Gradient Maps interpolation method will default to Classic in Ps 22.5.5. The new interpolation methods are not supported by earlier versions of Photoshop. 

If what you are experiencing is different from this, it could be a scenario that hasn't been covered, please provide the specific steps of the workflow and the System Info file of the 2 computers used in the workflow.

System info can be found under the Help menu.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same version issues with "gradient maps". In addition, the latest version of photoshop doesn't display a preview for the gradient map. Gradient Maps are my most used adjustment layers. Please fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just discovered this problem. Please fix, this is a significant problem.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2023 Jun 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seriously hasn't been fixed yet? Had to install an old version of Photoshop! This is what we pay for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a file where gradient maps were working 20 days ago. Now i open the file and my gradient maps are being discarded and converted into simple flat files. THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE> THESE ARN"T EVEN GRADIENT TOOLS THAT HAVE BEEN REWORKED. THIS IS THE SAME OLD GRADIENT MAP Adustment layer. I was workin on this file 10 days ago!!! WTFFFF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, please review the 2 correct answers provided. 

In order to understand more about the problem, can you please provide more information about what version of Photoshop was the document created on and what is the Photoshop version being used to open the file.

Thank you and I apologize for the inconvenience. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have deduced the issue. The file was last saved in Adobe Photoshop Beta 24.6, and breaks when opened in Photoshop Beta 24.7 as well as breaks when opened in the the following photoshop versions: Photoshop 2023 v24.6 (reg),  Photoshop 2022 v23.5.3 (reg), Photoshop 2021 v22.5.1 (reg).  

would you like a link to the file? is there a way to private msg, this is for a client and I don't want it in the public. I should note that it's a 13.5 gig PSB filetype. 

I reinstalled Photoshop Beta 24.6 and the file opens properly. However i don't want to be trapped in this version of photoshop for this file forever. Is there a way of exporting/duplicating/modifying this file to allow for maximum compatibility in working with other versions? I will say that Disable Compression of PSD and PSB files is not checked.

I'm Running a  Macbook Pro M1 Max - Running Monterey 12.6.4 - 15gigs of ram, 4tb HD with 1 TB of free space. 

Please advise. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If looking for a fun break from being productive you can do what I did and open the PSD in the PS version with working gradient map layers, click on each gradient map layer and save out a different gradient preset (.GRD) file, close that PS then open PSD in PS version with broken gradient map layers and manually recreate each gradient map layer with the GRD files one at a time, not forgetting to also set the same blendmode, opacity, etc. It's a real blast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far the Gradient Map Adjustment Layer in photoshop 2022/2023, you can instead convert your layer to a Smart Object, then apply Image>Adjustments>Gradient Map as a Smart Filter using the Classic setting and users with photoshop versions as far back as cc 2015 should be able to modify the Gradient Map. Earlier photoshop versions will open the Gradient Map layer as a separate flattened layer with the Gradient Map Adjust intact or as a non editable smart filter layer.

Screenshot-(934).png

same psd opened in photoshop 3.0.5 creates a flattened layer with the adjustment intact

Screenshot-(932).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @maxm63694617 it would be really appreciated if you can send me a link to the file for download. My email is clrodrig@adobe.com.

I'll try on my end creating a file in 24.6 with an image, a gradient map, saving it and the opening it on Photoshop Beta 24.7.

Please keep in mind that Photoshop Beta may include features that may not end up getting released. Ideally any profesional work you are doing for a client is better to use a released version of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Claudia, you're amazing. Will do. I already have it in dropbox. Apologies as it's 14 gigs. Perhaps I can delete most of the layers and see if issue persists

Votes

Translate

Translate