• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop CC 19.1 - UI doubled in size (Win 10)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. My entire Photoshop layout has doubled in size with this new update; it looks like it's in Windows Safe Mode. Is there a way to fix this? I am currently uninstalling and re-downloading the previous version because my eyes were melting from the bloated interface.Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Photoshop CC 2018 (19.1) update now available.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the frustration. To be clear, if you have Windows 10 Creators Update or later, you now control your Photoshop UI in the System settings for your display.

This implementation is in line with Windows DPI scaling guidelines, but we understand this may affect your preferred UI experience. Going forward we welcome your feedback as we will continue to adapt to rapidly changing monitor resolutions and multiple monitor configurations. 

In the meantime, here are few suggestions that m

Votes

Translate

Translate
96 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for both, Hannah. And that photo I made in the Netherlands. In the city of Groningen. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hannah, I noticed that there are actually more problems with the UI scaling. I saw that not all parts of the interface scale properly, at least not at 125%. For example, the small arrows for expanding panels don't scale from 100 to 125%. Also, look at the file names (in the info after the file names): the '*' and the 'x' overlap and also the 'Saving 67%' is too close to the 'x'. At 150% it looks good again, (but that I can't use for my screen). So it's not only that I would like to see UI downscaling, it seems that the current scaling also doesn't work properly. 

RackMultipart20180126463421rfh-a8dcc050-7c59-482c-9242-7ebf5d6ceb73-906114251.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Martin. I see what you mean. I'll submit that to our engineers with your screenshot. Thanks for providing that - it always makes it easier.

~Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear, this screenshot is set at 125%, is that correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. This is at 125%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on 8.1, then Photoshop's preference is the only thing that will change its scaling. In Photoshop, go to Preferences > Interface... and se the UI Scaling to 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have copied Photoshop.exe 19.0.1 into the folder and renamed the PS19.1.0.exe to something else. PS is now working. Therefore there is a bug in the 19.1.0 exe code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adrian,

That's very interesting. When you say Photoshop is working, do you mean that (in keeping with this thread) your UI doubled in size when you first installed but using the .exe from 19.0.1 addressed that? 

What is the resolution of your monitor and what do you have scaling set to? And then in Photoshop, what is the UI scaling set to? Preferences > Interface

Thanks,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to try that on my Windows 10 machine...

Update: I tried and indeed it solved the scaling problem for me. But as expected, Photoshop is messed up by using the 19.0.1 exe.  For example: the new function select subject is visible but doesn't work anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 8.1
Monitor set at 1920x1080
Up-scaled to 150% on desktop
Latest PS 19.1 on auto resolution and running at 200%
Receiving error message about 'clipping'.
PS shut down
Replaced .exe file with 19.0.1
Rebooted PS
Not receiving error message about 'clipping'
Nothing else was changed
Still running at 150% up-scaled desktop
PS running at 200%
Info-balloons for the tools on left now show correctly.
Not tried the new function select but I believe it wont work because it's not in the exe code to operate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have both .exe files,  photoshop(19.1).exe and the old 19.0.1 renamed to PS1.exe, one can use both but not at the same time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had the same problem. Hope they will fix it soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be a widespread problem, as some people have the same problem and their GUI is too small.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

separating from the original thread for tracking different issue

Please reference the new conversation here: Photoshop CC 2018 19.1: UI text appears shifted, overlaps at 125%

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys I am having the same problem. I downloaded the 19.1 version and it works but where it fails is on the last update, like others it just goes to 200% and not a thing you can do to change it. Saying that 100% on a large monitor is like ants. So the ideal situation would be to have say !00% 125% !50% and 200% which would cover all situations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ahmed,

It is working as intended. If you have Win 10 Creator's addition or later, the scaling in Photoshop is driven by your monitor settings, as controlled by Windows. If you right-click on your desktop choose System > Display and you control the scaling from there. Photoshop will change based on the scaling you choose in your OS.

Thanks,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the frustration. To be clear, if you have Windows 10 Creators Update or later, you now control your Photoshop UI in the System settings for your display.

This implementation is in line with Windows DPI scaling guidelines, but we understand this may affect your preferred UI experience. Going forward we welcome your feedback as we will continue to adapt to rapidly changing monitor resolutions and multiple monitor configurations. 

In the meantime, here are few suggestions that might improve your current experience:

1. Increase or decrease the font size: 
- Go to Edit > Preferences > Interface
- Modify "UI Font Size"
- Restart Photoshop

2. Disable large tabs (to increase space if they are too large):
- Go to Edit > Preferences > Workspace
- Deselect "Large Tabs"

3. Enable narrow options bar:
- Go to Edit > Preferences > Workspace
- Check "Enable Narrow Options Bar"
- Restart Photoshop

For more information on continuously scalable user-interface (CSUI), please click here

Hope that helps! As I said, we want your feedback. As we go forward we would appreciate hearing what about the current scaling options or lack of them are problematic for you and how you would prefer to interact with your UI.

Regards,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hannah, what you said does not work. Still stuck with either oversized clipping or GUI, at 100%, is too small. Windows 8.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hanna, your suggestions do not work . I run windows ten and all worked perfectly before the update. I not see why I should my display on the computer just to accommodate Photoshop . This needs to be sorted or maybe its time to find an alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the thing - Adobe (and others) must address using their applications on Ultra High Definition (and beyond) displays.  I am running a UHD (3840x2160) display because I want the high resolution of my images to be visible when editing etc.  If I have to adjust the scale of the display just so I can see the text in the tool boxes, I lose some of the reason I bought the display in the first place.  This is not hard to do.  You have smart people - figure it out.  UHD, 4K, 5K, 10K, whatever displays are a fact of life you need to deal with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adrian,

What I suggested isn't for your issue. If you're on 8.1, then Photoshop's preference is the only thing that will change its scaling. In Photoshop, go to Preferences > Interface and then set the UI Scaling to 100%.

Thanks,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I come back to 19.0 Release
I can not wait all this time To correct this problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi George,

It sounds like you're saying you don't like the UI scaling of Photoshop following the scaling of your OS settings. We appreciate your feedback - it is all taken into account as we go forward.

Thanks,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running Windows 10 Creators Update? Photoshop 19.1 on the latest version of Windows 10 should solve this problem as it allows variable scaling up to 400% with independent scaling on multiple monitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate