• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop Crashes when using Adjustment Layers

Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop has started crashing when I use adjustment layers, more specifically I have tested on hue/sat and curves. When I go to adjust the settings I get a crash.

I have a Windows 10 PC and a Macbook, the problem is only on Windows and I cannot reproduce the issue on my Macbook. 

What I have tried:

• Updating from v22.3.1 to current v22.5.1 
  • Updating GPU drivers
  • Updating Windows
  • Disabling GPU processor
  • Reducing RAM allocation to 60% (down from 85%)
  • Reducing cache tile size
  • Restarting machine.
  • Uninstalling third party plug-ins.

Windows PC spec:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600

32GB DDR4 RAM

AMD 5700 XT GPU

My workaround is to use Photoshop CC 2020 for now, but having 2 versions of Photoshop installed is a waste.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

UPDATE: Issue was "MachinePrefs.psp" stored in "Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop [version]/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings"

Though I am surprised that disabling GPU processor didn't temporarily fix the issue in my prior testing

I turned back on 30-bit display, increased RAM back to 85% and scratch disks as they were (I couldn't see anything else changed by that 

So I am now using my old Photoshop settings folder with the new Machine Pref file, looked at what it changed a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Did you do the following step?

If you still encounter the crash, restore your preferences using this manual method:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually

Votes

Translate

Translate
9 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try trashing your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings.

(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

This action only affects the items found in the preferences dialog box. Numerous program settings are stored in the Adobe Photoshop Preferences file, including general display options, file-saving options, performance options, cursor options, transparency options, type options, and options for plug‑ins and scratch disks. Brushes (and lots of other setting) are not affected by the above instructions for deleting preferences. You may wish to make a screen capture of the settings in the Preferences dialog to reset them prior to deleting of this file.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for submitting crash logs. I've asked engineering to take a look.

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it looks like you're hitting a deprecated code path, either by old prefs or the existence of a file titled PSUserConfig.txt in your settings folder.

First, quit Photoshop and go to 

• [Installation Drive]:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\[Photoshop_version]\[Photoshop_version]Settings\

and look for a file called PSUserConfig.txt and remove it

Launch PS and see if you can reproduce the crash.

If you still encounter the crash, restore your preferences using this manual method:

If that fixes it, I'd like a copy of that folder zipped up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey,

I have looked in that folder and PSUserConfig.txt does not exist. I have enabled hidden files (obviously needed to get into AppData as well) and do not have a file of that name.

I also checked Photoshop 2020 folder and the result is the same.

I have a bunch of .psp files mainly, but the .txt files are PSErrorLog.txt and sniffer-out.txt and sniffer-out1-4 as .txt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: Crash has now occurred on PS CC2020, which is frustrating as I was deep into a colour grade.

Can you advise further as I need this issue to be resolved as I cannot work without Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you do the following step?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, doing it manually solved the issue. 

I copied the broken settings back and was able to replicate the crash with them. So I will make sure to clear those.

If I get time tomorrow/this week I will try and narrow down the root cause as it may help someone in the future (or my future self if the issue reoccurs). My preferences are the result of years of professional retouching, so I've had it to where I am comfortable so hopefully nothing too drastic needs to change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: Issue was "MachinePrefs.psp" stored in "Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop [version]/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings"

Though I am surprised that disabling GPU processor didn't temporarily fix the issue in my prior testing

I turned back on 30-bit display, increased RAM back to 85% and scratch disks as they were (I couldn't see anything else changed by that 

So I am now using my old Photoshop settings folder with the new Machine Pref file, looked at what it changed and could only see 30-bit display and scratch disks reset. So I changed those back and restarted PS and everything still worked, I was unable to replicate crash (yay) does Machine Pref change other settings I can test? A quick google said it changes cache levels and tile size, but they don't appear to have changed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It would be good to get a copy of your entire "Settings" folder (which includes the MachinePrefs.psp file). Feel free to direct message me with a link. 

Votes

Translate

Translate