• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop crashes with background save (Linked Smart Objects)

Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having problems, when I import a PDF or illustrator file into Smart objetct, photoshop closes.

Any solution?

{Moderator edited title - PS-72176}

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 22.5.1 which includes the fix for this issue. Check the list of other fixed issues here

To update Photoshop to 22.5.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Please feel free to share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

I found the crashes you submitted. Thanks for submitting those! Engineering is looking into this.

Votes

Translate

Translate
16 Comments
LEGEND ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photoshop update now crashes every time I try to save my file. The file has numerous linked Smart Objects which are on the server (I am connected to it over VPN). If I unmount the server, the file will save. I tried multiple times to save, tried rebuilding Settings. Reverting to version 22.4.3 stops the crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the crashes you submitted. Thanks for submitting those! Engineering is looking into this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My team work on files that exist on a remote server – since the 22.5 update when they hit save on any .psd file that includes Linked Files within it, the software crashes immediately and the file isn't saved. Worst of all, no recovered files are generated either, so all work up to that point is lost.

I replicated the file set-up on a local hard disk and it worked fine, so the problem seems specific to files on a remote server – please can this be fixed asap; we've had to revert back to v22.4 for the short-term but that's obviously not sustainable. We also can't work on our local disks or even EHDs because we operate as part of a much bigger team who need to access finished artwork from us.

Embedded files seem to work fine, but we're then duplicating filesizes and unable to enact changes that link through multiple .psd files so we really need the Linked Files issue fixing as soon as possible 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll make sure this bug gets reported. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try trashing your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings.

Better?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Der Fehler lässt sich jederzeit produzieren.

Photoshop im Abo = jederzeit aktuelle Version, auf iMac, Catalina 10.15.7

Vorlagen-Datei öffnen. Bilddatei als Verknüpfung einfügen. Bildgröße manuell anpassen. Speichern "unter" oder auch in bestehende Datei ... = Absturz.

Und nun? Wie bekomme ich meine Datei gesichert??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi you need to check your recovery folder setting from preferences don't update photoshop if any version works fine for you...regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known issue that engineering is working on. Best bet is to roll back to 22.4.2 until the update is available.

Instructions here: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html 

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

22.5.0 on OS X 10.15.7 

Similar to the known issue of Photoshop crashing when placing linked Smart Objects. Photoshop consistantly crashes on save when linked objects (I've tried pngs and jpegs) are placed from a local network drive. e.g. I'm connected over afp to my production server; I place an image in photoshop using file/Place Linked.../; I save and Photoshop crashes while saving.

Previous versions did not have this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 22.5.1 which includes the fix for this issue. Check the list of other fixed issues here

To update Photoshop to 22.5.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Please feel free to share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problema resolvido.

Problem solucioned

thank you guys

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Justin,

I am having the same issue as you described here. This was not fixed for me with 22.5.1 and I was wondering if your situation was resolved with the last update or you're, like me, still using 22.4.3 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It did resolve for me with the 22.5.1 update, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this been resolved at all?

I've submitted a bunch of tickets with a similar problem today. Tried installing older versions (back to 22.4.3), launching with third-party add-ons disabled (Shift+launch), disabling graphics processor use in Preferences, clearing cache, updating graphics driver, and everything I could find on the Community boards. Trying it on two different Windows 10 machines that both have more than enough processing/graphics grunt to handle this. Still crashes everytime I try to save the Smart Object--it looks like it saves the SO file but then crashes during the "Updating Smart Object" progress bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate