• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Polygonal Lasso Tool closes too easily on MacOS 10.9 with Wacom tablet

Enthusiast ,
Nov 16, 2013 Nov 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I recently upgraded to Mavericks, and I have a MAJOR problem that is giving me problems.

The Polygonal lasso tool using a Wacom tablet. The lasso too decides to close the mask before I want it to. This happens constantly when trying to mask object with the Polygonal Lasso tool - forcing me to use a mouse when working.

I hope this will be adrdessed and fixed soon. There ́s no way for me to roll back the Mavericks upgrade, but as it is right now, Photoshop isn ́t working optimal in Mavericks for me.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 28, 2014 Feb 28, 2014
Thanks for reporting this issue and your help with troubleshooting. We appreciate your patience and willingness to work with us.

Here's our official document and workaround for this issue:

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/p...

Menus, shortcuts, Lasso tool, and/or Photoshop stop working when using a Wacom tablet | Mac OS

When you use Photoshop with a Wacom tablet, one or more of the following may occur:

• menus, panels, or dialog boxes turn white and become unresponsive
• keyboard shortc...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 27, 2014 Feb 27, 2014
A plug-in to work around this issue is available at bit.ly/NzQly1 this plug-in works with both CS6 and CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate
79 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somehow Photoshop is seeing a double click event - which means that something in MacOS 10.9 or the Wacom driver has changed and is feeding in double clicks when you don't expect them.

Check the tablet settings, it's possible that the rocker switch on the pen is set to double click and you are accidentally triggering it as you work, or that the double click time for the pen is set short and you are triggering that too easily.

And you'll have to bear with Apple while they fix the many bugs in MacOS 10.9, and third parties who have to fix drivers, plugins, and some utility applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ́ve been studying this now for a while now and it ́s actually not doing a double click...its more intricate than than. Photoshop, or the wacom tablet, I don ́t know what ́s causing it. But, what happens is, some times, very sudden, the next line you are going to do on the polygonal lasso never appear. It doesn ́t just auto complete (as a double click), the next line just never shows up. And you can move the pointer wherever you want, the lasso just waits/stops, but the next click you do, then completes the lasso wherever your last lasso click was last. So, it seems Photoshop gets a stutter or something and decides to end the lasso process on your next click, so it ́s not an auto double click.

Btw, I turned of double click on the wacom pen, that ́s not what is causing it...I ́ve troed everything I can think of. Its seems like a bug, the way it happens.

thanks for answering. I hope whatever causing it will be fixed soon. It ́s a huge problem when working with the lasso tool, which I ́m very dependent on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2014 Jan 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having EXACTLY the same problem! And dont know how to fix it too...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Same issue here. Updated to 10.9.1 and Latest Creative Cloud updates (the christmas holiday edition) at the same time and got the described issue. (Unfortunately, since it means it opens the door for Adobe employees to hint at issue being anything but their own. Exhibit A above.)

Will try to isolate the issue down further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so all our 13 iMac's with Wacoms experience this issue.
It does not happen with FireWorks so, to me, it looks like a pretty clear case for this being a Photoshop specific bug. Here is my error report:

Issue: When performing multiple clicks with the polygonal lasso tool in Photoshop it will randomly activate and perform the current selection before you have double-clicked.
Configuration:
Adobe Photoshop 14.0 x64
OS X 10.9.1
Intuos 3
Wacom drivers: latest and earlier versions alike.
Fireworks 12.0.1.274
Troubleshooting:
Updated Wacom drivers.
Tested on multiple machines.
Verified no "double-click" action is set to pen buttons.
Verified that the pologynal lasso tool works as intended in Adobe FireWorks.
Conclusion:
Since the lasso tool works in Adobe FireWorks the logical conclusion is that a recent Adobe Photoshop update has introduced this incorrect behaviour.

Recommended action:
Adobe, please replicate, isolate, correct and ship an updated version that restores this basic functionality for your creative professional users.

The blame game:
Adobe, please stop blaming other vendors before even looking into your own code.
I have not tested the latest version of Photoshop in 10.8.5 and if it works there, I totally would follow the logic that OS X 10.9 introduced code changes causing the issue. However, since the tool works fine in Fireworks, we already know it is within adobe's reach to fix the behaviour (for example by chainging PS code to be more like Fw code).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ́m glad you wrote a bug report, lets hope Adobe reads and fix this bug in the next photoshop update.

Just to throw in some extra info. The bug isn ́t caused by the latest Photoshop update. It happens in Photoshop in combination with OSX Mavericks. I downgraded to Mountain Lion and the problems disappeared. And I have the latest Photoshop update.

But the bug should be fairly easy for Adobe to reproduce, as I think it happens to everyone that has Photoshop in stalled on a Mavericks machine and uses the Wacom tablet.

It does not occur when using a mouse. But the fact that it works in other Adobe programs proves its not only based on the Wacom Drivers and can be solved by Adobe as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far it also only seems to happen with Wacom tablets, on 10.9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you are right. 10.9 and 10.9.1 Mavericks in general with a Wacom tablet in Photoshop only..but it happens to all Wacom tablets and all their drivers. It doesn ́t happen as a general thing on 10.8. Maybe some users have experienced it, but on 10.9 it seem to happen for pretty much everyone.

Is this something you are trying to track down? ...or Wacom ? They have not responded to any of my bug reports. I ́m desperately looking for some acknowledgement and that someone is trying trying to fix this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, along with several other 10.9 specific issues (several of which involve the Wacom driver). Sorry we can't give play by play updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2014 Jan 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey, it's been for a month now that the polygonal lasso tool is slow and closing the path after three or four clicks, I thought it would be fixed after the last update i did (two days ago) but it just got worse.
I'm working on an iMac with the up to date cc photoshop with intuos 5 wacom.
help any one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since you upgraded to MacOS 10.9, I'll bet....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do i downgrade?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jan 20, 2014 Jan 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a Time Capsule backup you can restore a backup from before you upgraded to Mavericks. If not you have a problem, because Mountain Lion can ́t be bought anymore...then you just have to hope there will be a fix some day. Make sure to send a bug request to Wacom as well...It ́s uncertain if this is Wacom of Adobe ́s responsibility, Wacom isn ́t as good at listening to customers so they need a lot of complaints to take it seriously. http://us.wacom.com/en/support/contac...
and also complain in there forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2014 Jan 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes me too... I'm the senior designer at my company and this bug is killing me. You have described this issue perfectly. Can't wait for Apple, Adobe or Wacom to address what I'm sure is a MAJOR problem in the creative community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's a photoshop cc problem. I also upgraded to Mavericks and when i reinstalled my photoshop Cs4 the lasso tool works fine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2014 Jan 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has become so difficult to use Photoshop CC in Mavericks and with a Wacom tablet that I have added a separate drive with Mountain Lion OS and Photoshop CS6 installed in order to get any work done at all. Time is money and this bug is way too costly to just wait around for Adobe, Apple, and/or Wacom to find a fix. I am not convinced that any of them are really working on it as there seems to be no information updates from any of them - only info available is from user forums and it is just a growing list of frustrated users with no solutions. This problem was revealed a long time ago - plenty of time for users to at least hear form someone that it is being worked on aggressively. P-Lasso tool is probably one of the most used tools in the suite. When I talked to a 'live' support person at Adobe, they alluded that it is some sort of permissions problem-- HUH? they said we will all know WHEN/IF they come up with a solution and to just watch for update notices. That was helpful? I am losing confidence in all of the 'cloud' products from everyone - Oh, for the old days, when we had discs in hand and could troubleshoot or revert to previous versions of our professional tools quickly so we can get back to making a living!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2014 Jan 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No updates other than the posts we keep making saying that we're working with Apple and Wacom on the bugs in MacOS 10.9?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2014 Jan 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope everyone is also looking into possible bugs in Photoshop and Wacom too, not just OS 10.9. It is possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a report from one of my guys that the latest updates from Adobe seems to fix this behaviour!

Can you guys confirm as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last update offered to me via Creative Cloud Manager was 13 days ago and I have seen no new update alerts since then. As of yesterday, the polygon lasso problem was still very much a problem in Mavericks when working on click by click selections. I had to bail out of Mavericks/Photoshop CC and restart to my alternate Mountain Lion hard drive with PS-CC installed. Previously, I had Photoshop CS6 installed in the Mountain Lion OS... now with PS- CC it seems to be more stable and working well enough to get work done. If there were any updates that fixed problems, it may have been for M-Lion. It's a real pain to go back and forth between OS drives. I am now contemplating taking all apps back into Mountain Lion drive so bouncing between them is unnecessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a quick little workaround that seems to work every time. When you are in Polygon Tool mode, instead of clicking from point to point (where the problem occurs), just click and hold for a sec or less before clicking to the next point. I even wiggle my pen a little bit as I'm holding down before my next click and it's quite effective. I know it sounds annoying, but we all have to pay bills with skills and this works for now.

When the only other options are to downgrade or some other step to detriment, which is impossible from the cloud, this is a feasible alternative

Hope this helps all of you.

Erick Flesey

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We haven't yet released any updates since 14.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2014 Jan 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded photoshop, and it seems that the problem with the lasso tool is over...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We did look at our own code, and we looked at the fact that it worked on MacOS 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8, but only broke with the introduction of 10.9. We also looked at the described problems, which could only come from the events given to Photoshop by the OS and drivers.

Fireworks doesn't share code with Photoshop, and comparing them doesn't mean a thing. (that's like saying a skateboard runs when wet, so your BMW should run with water in the gas tank)

We are continuing to work with Apple to identify and resolve all the bugs introduced with MacOS 10.9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris for giving us an update on the effort. It helps us to remain patient knowing that it is, in fact, still being worked on. I will also contact Apple to let them know that I have rolled back to Mountain Lion for work purposes and encourage them to take this buggy behavior seriously since a huge number of Mac users are also Adobe product users. I know I am not alone in rolling back the OS and Mavericks is known for other bugs as well, like slow response time in finder.

Votes

Translate

Translate