P: Pressing the Esc key to exit 'text mode' negates all the changes in the text box

11 Votes
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2011 Nov 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe Gripe #17414

"Please figure something out so that i can exit 'text mode' in photoshop by pressing Esc. and not have it negate everything i just changed in the text box... thank you!"

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jul 18, 2015 Jul 18, 2015
Photoshop CC 2015 now has a preference for how you want ESC to act in the text tool, and prompts you for how it should behave the first time you use the ESC key in the text tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 27, 2012 Aug 27, 2012
Howdy folks,

This is not the first time we have heard this complaint, both internally and externally. We've talked about it quite a bit. And, while I completely agree with Chris in principle, we have gotten this request too many times to ignore. As a result, we have heard your feedback and will be adjusting the behavior in the future accordingly.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 11, 2011 Nov 11, 2011
The [Esc] key is like hitting the cancel button to cancel all changes you've just made and exit text editing mode.

Instead, use Cmd/Ctrl + Return/Enter to accept the changes you've made and exit text editing mode.

Additionally, you can use Opt/Alt + Return/Enter to add a line break while in text edit mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate
40 Comments
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2014 Feb 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(for the record, I think that Cmd+H as used by Photoshop before Apple decided to use that key for app hiding.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, totally expected. I was actually surprised that Adobe didn't go down the road to do a soft transition for this, given how controversial the change was. ๐Ÿ™‚

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct...we used CMD+H first. 8-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2014 Dec 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just hit Esc and ALL of my changes erased. how can i bring them back??? Ahhhhh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 18, 2015 Jul 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This mis-designed tool frustrates me, too, although in a slightly different context.

I don't hit ECP and delete. Rather, I create a text box, insert text, then move somewhere else to create a new text section or draw a new box (new layer). But it doesn't work. The only way to do so is to abandon the text tool (click another tool) and click the Text tool again. It seems stupid and a waste of time to have to turn off the text tool and turn it back on just to continue text elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2015 now has a preference for how you want ESC to act in the text tool, and prompts you for how it should behave the first time you use the ESC key in the text tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't sound like it is really related to this topic.

But you can press Enter (command/control-return on crippled keyboards), or click the checkbox on the options bar, to commit your current text entry -- then create more text layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the prompt reply, Chris. I was afraid of that. No way am I going to upgrade to CC 2015, as I can't afford the subscription business model, obviously intended to increase profits. Do you know if the text tool is more friendly in Photoshop Elements, which I understand still can be purchased by version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Chris!!! You've solve an annoyance I've sought the answer to for years! And thanks double for not demanding that I find or ask another query; this one was the closest I could find to my problem. I've asked before and gotten nowhere.

This is the first time I've ever used the Enter (as opposed to the Return) key on my Mac. First time I've needed to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, iโ€™m a heavy adobe bridge user, i use it to manage all the offset assets for my projects and iโ€™d love to have the โ€œCC librariesโ€ panel available or an option  โ€œadd to cc librariesโ€ so i can move certain items to the shared cc libraries workflow. What do you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the Creative Cloud assets and libraries becoming more and more present and functional in many Adobe CC applications, Bridge could serve as a good viewer and manager for these contents.

Of course, the local Creative Cloud folder can already be viewed (a default shortcut and favorite would help users to take them there), but when logged in it might also display all the other assets like libraries with "stuff" and mobile creations.

It would be much easier and quicker to view and manage these assets from within a specialized desktop application like Bridge, than to tweak them through the CC Libraries panels in the creative applications. These are good enough for adding and applying assets, but not for managing them. The web interface is also still saw and awkward to use for intensive managing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, a moderator rightfully decided to merge my new idea/topic with this one. Probably my earlier Search keywords and the forum's Suggestions (as I started posting it) didn't match the title's keywords of this thread, because I certainly don't want to come up with a "Me Too" topic. Therefore, thanks for combining them ๐Ÿ™‚

I think the thin but very strict line between Assets & Libraries vs. Files and Folders should be kept, but become more clear to users. Especially those "Mobile Creations" tend to be quite mysterious. Maybe this can be achieved by presenting CC Libraries  (with their typical categories) as differently colored viewer windows. So users can quickly spot the difference. 

@Fabio: having just the Libraries panel in Bridge is at first not an obvious option or feature, since files can't be part of a CC Library. These contain particle-like assets, like colors, styles, drawings, pieces of text, etc. However, Bridge could convert such files on the fly into all-containing parts. But in many cases this would be technically very challenging and also less desirable. People would start storing complete archives of files into it, making it less useful and probably a total mess...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, 

We have released a new update of Adobe Bridge (CC 2018) on 16 July 2018. The new version build number is 8.1.0.383. This version is available to install via Adobe Creative Cloud application.

This Bridge update contains support for CC Libraries. Please check the "Libraries" workspace after installing new version of Bridge CC.

You may need to update the Creative Cloud application and restart your computer to see the updated installer.

Thanks,
Deepak Gupta

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question is if I have pressed esc, can I get the text back at all or do I have to remember what I typed and retype it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@JeffreyTranberry  no, that is what we have undo for ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฆโ€:male_sign: adobe should change this. it's quite annoying. op is absolutely correct

Votes

Translate

Translate