• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Problems with new discover tool

Participant ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the discover panel exclusively as a commander for quickly accessing filters for which I don't have any shortcuts assigned. In Photoshop 2020 it was possible to type "high pass" and it automatically selected the first entry. Then you press enter and boom you're there. Now the panel doesn't select anything, you need to press the down key a few times to get to the desired result – which is a waste of time and not really intuitive. And by the way you cannot close this panel with pressing escape as the old panel allowed you to do. It seems like there is no keyboard shortcut to close this window? In professional production workflows these little things matter ... 

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

With the latest update of Photoshop, we have made the following fixes - 
- ESC key can be used to dismiss the panel (+ you can always use Ctrl/Cmd + F to toggle show/hide the discover panel )
- Enter can now be used to select/activate the top tool or feature when typing in the search field. To enable this behavior, the preference to 'Quick select' has to be turned ON in the Discover Panel

Please check the latest info on the Discover Panel at https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/photoshop-discover.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
8 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CTRL+F opens and closes the window. I agree with your other points!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jerry_Syder

Thanks for that hint 🙂

Although I don't understand why this has been changed ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've asked the team to revisit their design to accommodate prior behaviors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JeffreyTranberry

Awesome. Thanks for your help, Jeffrey! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to preface this with a disclaimer: look, I get it. I'm a professional dev down the street from Adobe SF, and I know how hard it is to get these sorts of usability things right. I also know how valuable user feedback is when it comes to spotting and fixing them. Here's mine.

Until recently, this feature was killer; probably the best discoverability and usability tool you had. Now, it sucks eggs so hard my doctor calls about my blood pressure every time I am subjected to it. Why?

1. It is no longer possible to close the prompt with the Esc key. Literally no users enjoy having to mash a two-key combo or--I pale before the sheer horror--use their mouse to click (ew) the exit button. This sucks immensely when you're trying to get work done and change your mind on the specific action you're taking or realize you're not going to find it with the search term(s) you're using.

2. Having searched for a term, your focus defaults to the first suggested result, which is to see all results for the current query. Of course I want to see all results for my search term; that's why I'm searching for it! Imagine if search engines required you to bonk the down (or up) arrow key through all their inane fields and suggestions before you could access the actual results, or if the first time time you tried to buy any product from Amazon they always shipped you a sheet of ads for alternatives you don't want and required you to reconfirm you wanted the thing you wanted before you can reorder it and have them reship it to you. I bet that'd be really frustrating!

Anyway, by reverting to the previous actually-good implementation wholesale or tweaking these two small fundamental behaviors, I firmly believe that you can save this once amazing feature from the pits of heinously godawful UX it has been cast into, and I wish you the best of luck in doing so.

I can only hope that some product person somewhere sees this message or, in a perfect world, is forced to use their own software and therefore inescapably reckon with how aggressively this bit sucks now compared to its previous incarnations.

P.S. I know at least one engineer there has experience with JetBrains IDEs and therefore knows exactly how a "search for action" feature is supposed to behave. I encourage you to consult them 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the latest update of Photoshop, we have made the following fixes - 
- ESC key can be used to dismiss the panel (+ you can always use Ctrl/Cmd + F to toggle show/hide the discover panel )
- Enter can now be used to select/activate the top tool or feature when typing in the search field. To enable this behavior, the preference to 'Quick select' has to be turned ON in the Discover Panel

Please check the latest info on the Discover Panel at https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/photoshop-discover.html 

@Dominik_Source, *david choma , @Jerry_Syder , *bread  

Cc: @JeffreyTranberry 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is awesome 🙂 With these changes it is again possible to quickly access filters etc. Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate