• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: "Adobe Community Help" keeps popping open (Windows)

Participant ,
Jul 07, 2011 Jul 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Community Help keeps popping open when working within Adobe Photoshop CS5. I'm not sure if I'm doing some sort of shortcut that causes it to open, but sometimes (maybe once instance, during a 40hr week) Adobe Community Help will open in a Window while I am doing stuff in Adobe Photoshop CS5.

I'm not sure what causes it, but I'll close the Community Help window, and then continue working in Photoshop, and it will open again. Only way to keep it from opening back up again is to close and restart Photoshop. This has happened to me on my home PC as well, and in previous versions of Photoshop, if I remember correctly. I am using Windows 7 now, but I think I've had this happen on XP too.

Is it because there are updates available? Is it because I'm doing some sort of weird shortcut that I don't know about?

An example: I was transforming an object (using the mouse, clicking, using shift button while moving the cursor, using the space bar while panning, etc.) It just opened again. Guess it's time to restart Photoshop...

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014
Hi everyone,

The Photoshop CC 14.2 patch has the fix for this issue. Details are at the following blog post:

http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/201...

The CS6 (13.0.1.3) patch has the fix for this issue. Details are at the following blog post:
http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotco...

For both versions please select " Help -> Updates" to patch Photoshop to the latest version.

I wanted to thank all of our customers again for helping with this fix especially Garconis who started this thread. ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 08, 2013 Nov 08, 2013
Hi everyone,

The CS6 (13.0.1.3) patch has the fix for this issue. The readme specifically names this fix along with a number of others:

"Notable Windows specific bugs fixed

While using Photoshop (e.g. Color Picker or Layer Styles) PS launches browser with Help URL and crashes"

This fix is Windows only and is available for free simply by choosing Help->Updates from within Photoshop CS6.

This fix will also be released in a future Photoshop CC release for Creative Cloud subscribers.

For more ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 19, 2013 Sep 19, 2013
Hi everyone,

This is Jeff Sass one of the Photoshop Engineering Managers.

First, I wanted to apologize how long this bug has been in Photoshop. It was quite challenging to reproduce and we have been trying for a long time.

Second, I wanted to share the good news that we have been able to reproduce this bug in house with our automation system and have a fix for this issue that will be released in a future version of Photoshop. This fix is a Windows only fix (we haven't seen any reports of this...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 437 Replies 437
417 Comments
Participant ,
Sep 15, 2011 Sep 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just happened AGAIN. I was editing a drop shadow on some text and it popped open. I closed it, and didn't even move the mouse -- and it kept reopening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save your work ASAP and close and restart Photoshop.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I've gotten used to having to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2011 Sep 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Hello, Mark, nice to "see" you!)
FYI I remember from the user to user forum that the issue happened in way older version of Photoshop (pre community help, Look at this thread from another forum in 2005: http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/p...)
But I think most of the cases were on the Windows platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2011 Oct 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Help Community popup window opens when holding down Ctrl and using the mouse to resize an object. I'm seeing that holding down keyboard buttons for an extended period of time and doing some other action causes this window to open.

CS5
Windows 7
Intuos 3 installed (but not used within this scenario)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2011 Oct 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark, here are other current cases about the issue, (especially for troubleshooting) I could contact the users if needed for them to post here, or you could join there: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3506399

This site reposts old discussions of the U2U, also point to low resources: http://www.clearps.com/photoshop-foru...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Just to write that we're discussing the problem in the thread PECourtejoie linked to earlier ( http://forums.adobe.com/message/3506399 ).

This has happened to me ever since I was using Photoshop 4, and I have encountered it on Photoshop 6, Photoshop 7 and Photoshop CS (which I'm currently using). To be specific: On every single version of Photoshop that I have ever used.

During that time, I have been using two different computers using Win XP and two different computers using Win7. Lately I have installed a Wacom Intuous 4 tablet, but the problem was there before as well.

It ALWAYS (without exception) happens when I use the colour picker tool. I can work for different amounts of time (half an hour, 2 hours or so) and at some point when I open the colour picker, a lot of help windows will open. Sometimes one or two, sometimes 25.

At this point Photoshop displays three different kinds of behaviour:
1. Either it crashes,
2. or it keeps opening help windows whenever i minimize or close the windows already open and click on the photoshop tab to go to this window,
3. or it is possible to continue working as if nothing has happened. No other windows open and it is possible to keep working. Somtimes another bug appears after some time, though (making it impossible to save), so I usually restart Photoshop no matter what behaviour it displays.

I have tried removing the F1 shourtcut to the Help page, thinking that perhaps a memory overflow was triggering a F1 keystroke in some way. This didn't solve the problem though, as the help page keeps popping up, whether a shoutcut has been assigned or not.

As this has happened on so many computers, different operating systems and configurations as well as different versions of Photoshop, I think the problem is connected to the Photoshop program itself and not to third party programs etc. I have no technical knowledge to back this up though, only intuition :)

Let me know if you need more details.

Greetings from Denmark!
Jakob Kramer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tak, Jakob for the added information!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2011 Oct 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks muchly everyone for those details. We didn't realize how far back in time this problem extended. We've used a lot of different Help systems during that timeframe, which suggests that the Help app itself is not the root of the problem. And as far as I know, the issue doesn't occur with any Adobe products other than Photoshop.

I'll relay all the related forum threads to the Photoshop team for closer scrutiny. Could take them a while to determine the fix--this has been a real puzzle! But please post any additional details that occur to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2011 Oct 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably nothing you haven't already thought of...

I'd suggest you look to the data structures that govern the operation of your event loop, specifically in the area of F1 key (or other Help-invoking event) handling and event queue management.

Understand that when the problem happens it tends to bring up multiple copies of the Help tool, as a result of trying to do other things, implying a persistent change of one or more variables that somehow cause the event loop to mistakenly think that an event is an F1 keypress (or similar).

I don't know if it's related, but I have occasionally seen also (in older versions of PS; fortunately not in CS5) cases where the event dequeing gets skewed by a few steps - i.e., mouse operations cause something to happen right now, but the something itself is from several clicks ago. It has the feeling of Photoshop lagging behind, but it's not a lag in time but by mouse click.

As I mentioned above, I suspect bugs elsewhere (e.g., in the display driver) corrupting memory as the root cause of these sorts of things, but changes to make event loop operations more robust could certainly make Photoshop more defensive against such problems.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 29, 2011 Oct 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm happy to see Adobe is working on this issue. I experience this problem in CS4 on a regular basis and have had the same issue on older versions of Photoshop as well -- although I don't remember on which version I started experiencing it.

Adobe Community Help opens in my web browser periodically when I'm working with layer styles. When the problem occurs, sometimes I can just close help in the browser window and continue working in Photoshop. Other times I get caught in an inescapable loop -- I can't close layer styles and every click in Photoshop opens another instance of help in my browser... I have to force quite Photoshop.

I've had this issue with different PCs and different Windows OS. I do not have a Wacom tablet. Here's what my current PC is:

Dell Studio XPS 9100
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7, 930@2.80GHZ
9 GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

Hope Adobe is successful getting to the bottom of this one!

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2011 Oct 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was almost a daily occurrence for me. I have narrowed down the events on which this 'glitch' happens.

Excessive of 2 hours use, the help window opens. It will open itself even if you don't touch Photoshop at all.
It is more prone to open based on the following user interactions:

- Use of the Layer Style Menu. (high chance)
- Use of the Shapes menu on right click in the doc.

I have found a way to 'slow' the amount of times it likes to pop up.
I disabled all start-up services excluding the Switchboard (SBSV).
I don't see it as often as I used to. But it still happens.
Dreamweaver does not do this. Only Photoshop. Very odd.
If I ignore it and continue working, after about 3 to 5 pop-ups, Ps will crash.
I have a Windows XP desktop I still own and it has Ps CS3 on it. Never had this problem.

Installed Programs:
- Firefox 8.0
- Ps CS5.1 (Std)
- Dw CS5.5
- Office 2010 Student
- NAV 2012
- iTunes
- Bandicam
- Fontlab Studio 5
- Visual Studio 2010 Pro

Computer:
Gateway NV55S13u
Win 7 Ultimate (Upgrade)
1.5GHz AMD A8 quad core
6GB RAM

Hopefully you guys can solve this. Other than this, I have no complaints. I have actually learned to deal with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2011 Nov 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Styro,

Can you try something? Go to File>Scripts>Script Events Manager...

Is "Enable Events to run Scripts/Actions" enabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI - I just checked and I don't have that enabled. Also, the only programs that I have installed, that he also does, is Firefox, MS Office (Enterprise 2007), and obviously Photoshop (12.0.4 x64).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Thanks. It was a shot in the dark since this has been so elusive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny thing... Just last night I had this happen once.

I was working on a pretty complex set of Layer Styles, and I got into a situation where the screen stopped updating when I was making changes to settings (but would still update when I hit OK to commit the layer style changes).

At one point Help popped up without my asking it to. Upon closing it I found it didn't come back up, but I finished my Photoshop work and closed Photoshop not long thereafter.

For what it's worth, [ ] Enable Events to Run Scripts/Actions is NOT enabled for me either.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have enabled this feature.

I'm going to guess that the script I am supposed to use is "Clean Listener".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I think it's a red herring since the other users don't have "Enable Events to run Scripts/Actions" enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried something new today.

I have enabled system logging, I also changed the location of my dump files to a folder on my desktop.

I have done this because, yesterday I opened the default dump folder and watched as every time I closed Adobe Help, a .dmp file was created. This struck me as very odd. 4 help dumps @ 2mb each. Ps dumb was 5mb. With Visual Studio Pro I was given dev tools. With that install came an executable file titled "dumpchk.exe."

For those who want this tool, you can get it here. The download you want is titled "Developing for Windows Vista or Previous Versions of Windows". This is incorrect. They made a mistake. Upon clicking the page, it actually says Windows 7. You will need Frame work 4.

For those who want to know how to enable system logging, click here. Please make sure you know what you are doing.
How to read a dump (.dmp) file.

Back to my older XP computer, I have managed to update and get it going again. I found that there were over 2,000 dump files titled Adobe Help. Yet I never had Adobe Help open on me. I only used it maybe 3 times. This is very strange. I will look into these and report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Help.exe.(various numbers).dmp

Process Name: Adobe Help.exe : C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Help\Adobe Help.exe
Process Architecture: x64
Exception Code: 0xC0000005
Exception Information: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
Heap Information: Not Present

The error/exception code is one I have seen plenty of times.
Do the following:

Check you RAM modules. This will be very important. Corrupt or faulty ones will cause this kind of error code to show in a dump. Kingston RAM is notorious for having issues. I used to have this brand. After lengthy research and many system tests, they suck. I quit having as many issues. Windows help on how to check RAM.

Check your installation. Even though the Adobe Installer says it was successful, check again.
Turn off ALL start-up processes and services. Less interference. During my install I only had 47 (48 if you include the installer). Try uninstalling Adobe products on your machine and try again. Uninstall will not remove everything it created/installed. For me to tell you how to do that would break Adobe's policy. (Not a hacker. Just a smart developer who knows how software works.)

On the XP OS computer, I repaired Photoshop. Guess what... Adobe Help started popping up. My broken/corrupt install was keeping it from popping up, but creating dump files. The dumb files also show the same error/exception code from Ps CS3 on XP.

My system log also reports that there is an error from help even on a manual user open.

Seems to me like Adobe Help is broken??...

Either it gets broken from the installer or from the process that tries to access the RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2011 Nov 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as a side note - my RAM modules are not suspect. I have ECC RAM and the system will halt if an uncorrectable error is detected.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Nov 11, 2011 Nov 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ,

Any news about this particular issue? We have a user here using win7 x64 with a Intuos4 and Photoshop CS5 having an issue where the community help (adobe bridge) will keep opening randomly even if the user doesn't press anything.

For now I disabled the keyboard shortcuts and while the issue seems to happen less frequently it still pops ups every now and then.

If you need any more info/troubleshooting from my part please let me know, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Nov 14, 2011 Nov 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on this particular case by any chance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Nov 17, 2011 Nov 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a user here that reported that her Adobe community help kept opening (through adobe bridge) while working on her photoshop. It started happening randomly one day and won't stop.

I've removed the keyboard shortcut in case this was the issue but it keeps happening, less frequent now thought from what she told me.

I've seen in a past thread that this issue was happening in the Adobe office too, with people using a Wacom tablet which is exactly the case here, the user got a Intuos 4 tablet.This is happening even while she's not on her computer.

From what I've saw, the Intuos 4 driver was updated by Wacom 2 months ago (september) and they fixed an issue with the pen pressure in CS5, could that be the cause? I could probably try to install an old driver and see how it goes. What do you think?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2011 Nov 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing the old Wacom driver would be a worthwhile test. Give it a shot and let us know what you learn.

We really want to solve this problem for customers but have had trouble reliably reproducing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate